“Average Hotel”

Clayton Hotel Limerick
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The public car park is over the road from the hotel and we paid a reduced rate as we were guests in the hotel. I was looking forward to staying in this hotel as it was on the banks of the river Shannon but the view we got was over the working part of the river.. The area the hotel is in is really run down . The hotel was reasonable inside and the rooms were fairly clean but in need of refurbishing. The room was really cold . On the website was advertised a 3 course meal in the restaurant for 25 euros on speaking to the restaurant manager he just shrugged it off and said it was non existent and was not apologetic at all . There was a nice health suite with a small pool . The receptionist at the health suite was lovely and friendly and really helpful and
showed us where everything was. We did not know you had to wear swim hats in the swimming pools in Ireland and she kindly lent us one. There were no locks on the lockers so my advice is to take a small padlock and key with you if you are likely to leave any valuables in the changing rooms.The breakfast was average and the service was not very good even though it was quiet in the breakfast room.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
ClarionHotelLimerick, Front of House Manager at Clayton Hotel Limerick, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for your recent review. I am disappointed to read that you found the area surrounding the hotel to be rundown and that you experienced some issues with your room and the service in the restaurant. The boardwalk close to the hotel is currently being renovated by Limerick City Council, work is beginning on the timber boardwalk and cobblestone area tomorrow and the rest of the area will be painted towards the end of the week. There is also a refurbishment plan in place for the hotel itself, all of our bedrooms are to be fully renovated, along with our lobby area and work is to begin late October/early November. Our rooms do have in-room air conditioning/heating units that can be controlled from the room so guests can adjust the room temperature to their liking, I am sorry to read that you were not made aware of this facility and hence found the room cold.
I would like to apologise sincerely for manner in which your query regarding our restaurant menu was handled. I would like to assure you that this is not how I expect our staff to handle any guest’s query and I will be addressing the issues you have raised regarding dinner and breakfast with our restaurant team. We do have a €25 menu available in our Sinergie Restaurant for part of the year but this is not available during the summer months, with an a la carte menu is in operation instead. I am sorry if the information on our website was misleading.
Thank you for your lovely comments on our Sanovitae leisure centre, the leisure centre team are very friendly and helpful and I’m glad to read that they were able to accommodate you with a swimming hat. We do not provide padlocks in the leisure centre but advise guests staying in the hotel to leave valuable items in their in-room safes or in the hotel safe in the leisure centre. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards, Laura McNamara, Front of House Manager

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed here recently on a girls weekend away. Lobby / hallway areas on bedroom floors are a bit depressing (maybe its the grey colour scheme?), but the rooms are much brighter and inviting.
Rooms were fully equipped, beds were comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Wifi worked perfectly. Would recommend.

Room Tip: There are 13 floors in the hotel, so ask for floors lower down to avoid waiting for lifts (we were o...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Thanks you for your review. I am glad to read you enjoyed your recent stay with us and would like to thank you for your lovely comments regarding rooms and our staff. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards, Laura McNamara, Front of House Manager

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Just back after a 2 night break. Very family friendly, spotless throughout, Staff so welcoming, efficient and most helpful as regards directions/recommendations. Fabulous views over the Shannon, having a relaxing drink in the lounge, its just wonderful to watch all the activity, whether it be of the human or feathered variety on the river. This hotel has something for everyone, location excellent, within easy walking distance of city, great shopping, restaurants etc. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The uneven numbered rooms give a great view of both the river and the city.
1  Thank OliviaGalwayIreland

Thank you for you 5 star review. I am delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us. We do receive excellent feedback on our convenient location on the River Shannon and the stunning views from the hotel, I’m glad you had the opportunity to enjoy them. Thank you also for your lovely comments regarding our staff. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards, Laura McNamara, Front of House Manager

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This hotel was chosen for us by the French travel agent Gaeland Ashling. The views on the river and bridge and King John castle were fantastic, the room was clean but needs refurbishing. Many stains everywhere from carpets to ceilings. I cannot comprehend why we were given a smoke-stinking room, slept with the window open but not pleasant at all. Breakfast and dinner were goods. Walked to the castle along the quays. Very pleasant.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
ClarionHotelLimerick, Front of House Manager at Clayton Hotel Limerick, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. All of our rooms do have superb views overlooking the River Shannon and with some overlooking King John’s Castle, I am delighted you had a chance to enjoy them. I would like to apologise for the issues with your room and for the smell of smoke you experienced, we have allotted smoking rooms and I am sorry that you may have been allocated one of these rooms due to high occupancy levels during your recent visit. There is a refurbishment plan in place for the hotel, all of our bedrooms, along with our lobby area, are set to be fully renovated with this work beginning in late October/early November. I am also delighted to read that you enjoyed your meals while staying with us. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards, Laura McNamara, Front of House Manager

Reviewed 13 August 2014

This was a last minute booking and the hotel were very accommodating when we looked to make a couple of changes for the kids. We stayed on the 6th floor which is very well serviced by about 4 lifts so you weren't waiting long! The room was quite spacious with a double and single bed and enough room for the child's cot. We used the leisure facilities and even though the swimming pool is a little on the small side, it was big enough with small children. The hotel bar is spacious and has an excellent Asian menu and the views of the river are beautiful. The restaurant again is very spacious and food was good. The breakfast was hot and hot food was constantly placed for guests. The only 2 issues I would have with the hotel would first of all be parking. The parking is across the road in a public car park that you have to pay extra for. The hotel has a slightly cheaper rate however if raining like it was while we were there, you must have a brolly! The other issue I would have is their Guinness! It's not a great pint of Guinness at all :-( over all it's a lovely hotel and easy access to Bunratty Castle and all of Limericks attractions. The town centre is less than a 10 min walk and the hotel has beautiful views of the city and most importantly is, it's clean!

Room Tip: The top floor has the best views
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thanks you for your 5 star review. I am delighted to read you thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay with us. I am glad you found our hotel very accommodating, our location convenient to all attractions and that you found the pool suitable for your small children. As a city centre hotel we do not have our own parking facilities and have a negotiated rate available for our guests, €8.50 for a 24 hour period. I am disappointed to read that the Guinness was not up to standard during your stay and will address this issue with the bar manager. Thank you for you great comments on our restaurant, rooms and the beautiful views over the River Shannon. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards, Laura McNamara, Front of House Manager

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We originally had booked into the Clarion Hotel for only 2 nights so we could explore the city of Limerick a little bit on our visit to Ireland.
Well, between loving the city and having a great hotel, we kept extending our stay. We were there a total of 5 nights, and have no real complaints.
At first I thought the room was tiny - but I came to realize that European hotel rooms are generally smaller than what I am used to here in Canada.
Everything was clean, and the service was great -- the front desk ladies always laughed when I would come down to the lobby and ask to extend our stay by one more night. This happened multiple times.
The view of the Shannon was awesome - and being a fan of Frank McCourt, the connection to the river, and the close proximity to his museum felt surreal.
There were plenty of shops and pubs within walking distance -- I parked our rental car for the entire stay as the city streets were a bit confusing to drive on, but that's probably just a personal "me" thing lol.
There was nothing better than waking up in the morning, and before we spent our day exploring the city, going down to the pool, with hot tub, sauna and steam room. It felt like I was spending my mornings at the spa.
If you stay at this hotel, highly suggest you order pizza via room service - it was delicious!
There could be another Ireland trip in the works for me next year, and if so, I am definitely going to try and stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review. It’s great to read that enjoyed your recent trip to Limerick and loved the city and our hotel. Limerick has much to offer visitors to the city and I am delighted that you decided to extend your stay with us due to the service you were receiving. Our hotel does have superb views over the River Shannon, I’m glad you had a chance to enjoy them. I am also happy to read that you had some time to relax in our Sanovitae leisure centre and that it started your day off on a good note. Thanks you also for you positive comments on our room service pizza menu and our convenient city centre location. If you are coming back next year please let me know, I look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards, Laura McNamara, Front of House Manager

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We were on a bus tour of Ireland and stayed one night at the Clarion. A newer property with very nice rooms. The rooms had great views of the river and the city. The neighborhood in which the hotel is located is very industrial. This would be a excellent business meeting location.

Room Tip: If your not adverse to heights, the upper floors offer great views
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank greenbean5116

Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you enjoyed the panoramic views from your room. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your tour around Ireland. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards, Laura McNamara, Front of House Manager