“interesting and quirky”

Frank McCourt Museum
Ranked #12 of 113 things to do in Limerick
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Really enthusiastic owner running a single themed museum that manages to link (as Frank McCourt did) life in Limerick in the early 20th century, education with various souvenirs and memoirs of the work of Frank McCourt. Lots of odd items to ooh and aah over. Very simple and straightforward and a good way to spend a little while.

1  Thank wanda12

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

I was apprehensive about visiting the museum with my young primary school aged boys but we were welcomed with open arms. Despite not knowing who Frank was the boys spent a fun hour exploring the old school room and finding out what life was like for boys in 1930s Limerick. A children's quiz was available which kept one of the boys occupied. As a fan of Angela's Ashes myself I enjoyed seeing the memorabilia and recreation of the McCourt house. The lady who gave our tour was very knowledgable and was a talented artist (she had drawn and painted several exhibits herself). Well worth the 3 euro entrance fee.

1  Thank Allison23Galway
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Brilliant! What did you like about it? Reminded of times past in Ireland! Enjoyed visit again recommended by our walking guide Declan! Lady there very informative and very informative!

1  Thank Babs57_11
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have not read 'Angela's Ashes', Frank McCourt's award-winning novel and the book on which his fame is based. But I will do now.
This is a charming hour, with a small committed team of enthusiasts willing to spend time talking you through the museum and its contents. These give you an insight into the grinding poverty of early 20th century Limerick - the Limerick in which Frank McCourt grew up. Because we had the time to chat to the guide, it made me think of my own background and that of my own family in London, as did my wife, and so it was an engaging and thought provoking visit.

3  Thank NorthLondonStu
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

The docent was outstanding and gave us a tour of the museum, despite us arriving 30 minutes before it opened. Wish I remembered more of the book. Really a nice way to spend an hour or so

1  Thank dermgoddess