“The best in town bar none”

Limerick Strand Hotel
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
GreenLeadersGold level
Garryvoe, Cork, Ireland
“The best in town bar none”
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Have stayed in Limerick on a number of times but this was my first time at the Strand and great time had. Great location on the river mins from town centre and 10 min walk to Thomond park. Booked the day before and at €65 for B&B&D it was great value. The hotel is beautiful in side and out and the staff so friendly and a great manner. Dinner was great and breakfast brilliant after a night out on the town. The Strand has parking only €6 per night and all you would expect of a 4 star hotel but at a 3 star price. Free wifi with no codes need. The only place to stay in town and book on their web site as I found it cheaper and many great bargains.

Room Tip: Use the hotel web site, also only €40 extra per night for the suites and worth it.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Strand hotel is in a perfect location in Limerick city. I only stayed for one night, but it was great. The staff are excellent, rooms beautiful, location brilliant. Will be back.

• Stayed June 2012
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Stayed on a recent business trip to Limerick. I knew from the friendly welcome at Reception that my stay was going to be good, and I was not disappointed. The Strand facilities generally are excellent (rooms, restaurant/bar, leisure complex). I had dinner in the River Restaurant at a great table overlooking the Shannon and served by another of the hotel's friendly and efficient staff (she knew my name when I arrived, without looking at her computer screen - how did she do that?). What a treat in Ireland to be served by well trained staff who take a pride in their job. I was more than a little surprised by the high quality of the food (both taste and presentation) and wine. I had a great night's sleep in a most comfortable bed and an excellent Irish breakfast served (hot) in my room the next morning. What more does one want on a business trip? Oh yes and there was free broadband in my room. When I checked out, the receptionist remembered me and asked if I had enjoyed my dinner in the River Restaurant. And she was asking because she really cared. Well done to the management and team in The Limerick Strand. You get a 10 out of 10 from me for going the "extra mile". I stay in many hotels in UK and Ireland and The Strand is now my favourite.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 June 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the above hotel for a wedding. Everything from the food to the room was superb. I have never had a meal at a wedding like it before. The staff were friendly and prompt. I would heartily recommend this hotel to any couples looking for a wedding venue. Also it's location in the city of Limerick is ideal for shopping, nightlife and a relaxing break away. We will be returning :-)

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Beemurph
Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Stayed for my graduation ball with friends and family. The deals on accommodation when very good and the rooms were clean and comfortable. Staff were helpful and friendly. The ballroom was beautiful and the service was impeccable. This was a fantastic experience and we recommend this excellent venue to all!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Grr D
Dunshaughlin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I have just returned home from a memorable trip to Limerick. Myself and family were in Limerick for the UL GEMS Graduation 2012 and we stayed in the Limerick Strand. I had to make changes to our reservation before our arrival and found the staff very accommodating and easy to deal with. Upon arrival at the hotel we were greeted by a very friendly 'Simon' who made us feel really welcome. The rooms were spacious and comfortable, and although the rate did not include breakfast we really didn't mind as the food and service was very good. I would definitely return to this hotel in the future and would also recommend it to any of my friends. Fine hotel, well trained and excellent staff, all in all a great experience.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tess B
New Jersey
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Excellent location, just a walk across the bridge to the center of town to see King John's Castle, the Cathedral, the Tourist Info Center, and for shopping and restaurants. Safe environment in hotel, as you need your room key for elevator. Reception staff were very attentive and nice. Since elevators are all glass enclosed, you can see the river and King John's Castle while in them. Rooms are large and colorful. We had a partial river view, as we didn't upgrade for the full view, but we would in the future. We can only imagine that it would be wonderful, as the windows in the bedrooms are almost floor to ceiling, and you get a beautiful panoramic view of the city. Our breakfast buffet was included in the price, and it was an enormous spread with a variety of food for all tastes, especially custom-made omelettes. It was restaurant week in the city while we were there, so we ate at some of the "good" restaurants in town. The River Restaurant Manger, Trevor O'Connor, convinced us to give the restaurant a try when he overheard us inquiring about other restaurants in the city. Therefore, the final night of our stay we ate at the River Restaurant, and the dinner consisted of 3-4 courses for Euro 35, and the food was as good as anything at the so-called "in" restaurants. We weren't disappointed, and my husband says it was the best steak filet he had in all of Ireland. We had a table facing the bridge and the river, and it was beautiful and romantic. The desserts were also very good. The bar area is large and very hip, and again you have a beautiful view. Finally, neither the hotel nor the restaurant disappointed us, and they lived up to the 4 star rating, and maybe deserve a 5-star rating with the pool, gym, and other facilities offered. The only downside was paying for parking, and that comes with staying at a hotel in a large city.

Room Tip: Splurge and upgrade your room so that you have a full river view. When eating breakfast or dinner...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple