“lovely place average food”

Limerick Strand Hotel
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
GreenLeadersGold level
Tralee, Ireland
“lovely place average food”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

the bar is lovely and cosy warm with good staff have eaten here three times in the past two weeks as meeting people nearby and the food is fine but no more the tapas is average bought in from a wholesaler rather than an artian supplier and given the price it is not good enough
i got three the scampi was poor and the wild mushroom was not bad all were served with bread rolls pity really a nice idea let down
i had to send the burger back as it was burnt and got the club instead which was good
the other two times the food was a bit better but nothing special

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Sligo, Ireland
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed in the Strand Hotel on the 14th December after a Christmas shopping trip to Limerick. We wanted somewhere central and in walking distance of bars and restaurants if we choose to go out so the location did not disappoint. They have a secure underground car-park as well which was convenient but unfortunately they charge 5 euro a night for it. On check in I asked if they had any nice rooms to upgrade to but I was told the hotel was fully booked as there were Christmas parties on,we were pleasantly surprised with the nice room we were given none the less.
We visited he leisure centre next which was nice and the staff were friendly, on return to the room I opened the wardrobe to hang our coats up and I was greeted with what I can only describe as the worst smell of body odour I can ever recall! I called my fiancé and we tried to investigate if the smell was coming from someone having ironed sweaty clothes on the ironing board or if it was from the spare blankets in the wardrobe! We decided as the hotel was fully booked the best idea was to close the wardrobe and put up with the smell as they had already told us that there was no other rooms available. The next morning on check out we thanked the receptionist and quietly raised the issue of the foul smelling wardrobe before they gave the room to another guest, her reply was this "Oh how awful for you, I'll get someone to clean it" and she proceeded to charge us full price along with the price of 2 bottles of water and the 5 Euro parking, might I add it wasn't that we were asking for a discount or would have excepted one but it would have left a more pleasant taste in our mouth if something had been offered!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Nice bright big bedrooms. Central location. Car park with lift to reception was great. No complaints. Breakfast was as good as you will find in the best of hotels. Walking distance to O'Connell Street. Nice views of the Shannon.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Ireland
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Hotel was good and I would stay here again. Positives was it was very clean and rooms were spacious with large beds. However I found the service in the hotel to be very slow and on one occasion we had a very rude waiter. Also beware of the lifts! Nightmare! All guests were complaining! Along with that we were called at 10am in the morning to service our room! After a wedding the last thing you need is a 10am morning call!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 1 January 2014

The hotel was beautiful, delicious restaurant and fun bar, clean and had a great location. But what made it the best of the 5 hotels we stayed in during our October Ireland trip was Edible (hope I'm spelling her name correctly) at the front desk. Excited for us to be there, gave great advice on where to visit and actually frowned when we left. She made the experience in Limerick outstanding for us.

Room Tip: My tip is to find Edible at the front counter.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed for several days in early November. It was quite cold outside but the rooms were sweltering. This is a consensus opinion as there were five of us in various locations about the hotel. The windows do no open to any degree, and the only HVAC option is warm air. Some of the hallways must be 30C. I feel sorry for the staff, having to clean rooms and work from the halls.
The beds have thick down comforters that smell of sweat--understandably, as if the last guest had the same problem.

In July 2012 four of us spent nearly three weeks at the Strand. You can read my review; it was exactly the same. A cool summer, but far to hot in the rooms. We wanted to move but the hotels were all booked for some reason. So I spoke to management and they immediately brought a room fan, which simply recirculated the hot air. I kept talking to them and the manager admitted they had problems with the HVAC, but they were working on it, and gave me bottles of wine and gifts of jams, and though they were wonderful people nothing was actually was done to fix it.

We decided to come back and give it another try more than a year later, thinking for certain the temperature issues had been resolved. But it was a serious disappointment.

We moved to the Savoy, which cost the same and was utterly perfect.

I'm sorry to have to write this about the Strand, but we had booked in for a couple of weeks, and all five of our group independently said they couldn't stand it another night.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on multiple occasions now when visiting Limerick and have never been disappointed. The staff are very friendly and look to please in every way. I really cannot find fault with this hotel in any way. I travel a lot in the US and Canada on business and this hotel far exceeds the bulk of business class hotels out there. Well done to the management and staff at the Strand, you really do a great job !! I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo