“Great choice”

Limerick Strand Hotel
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We chose the Strand Hotel as we were looking for a spa hotel in a good enough location to travel around County Clare. The hotel is in fact conveniently located in the heart of Limerick, by the River Shannon, just a 5 mins' drive from the main road, and an hour from the Cliffs of Moher and the Rock of Cashel.

We had an extremely pleasant stay. The room was big, clean and bright and I loved the colour and overall interiors too. The bathroom was new and included both a bath and a shower.

There is a handy lift that connects the floors (the 2nd in our case) with the spa, pool and gym which are located on -2. The use of all the facilities is free for hotel guests and it is exactly what you need at the end of a day spent walking by the cliffs.

The buffet breakfast at the River Restaurant is very good and you can choose from all sorts of fruits, cereals, jams, honeys, breads, yogurts or you could go for a full Irish breakfast.

All staff, both at reception and the restaurant, were extremely friendly and helpful.

If you are planning on visiting the west/southern part of County Clare and the nearby Counties and you are looking for a great value for money, I highly recommend staying at the Strand.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stella S

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We had the good fortune to stay at the Limerick Strand Hotel and we would recommend it to anyone visiting Limerick. It is a beautiful hotel with well decorated bedrooms and very comfortable ,duck down quilts and lovely soft pillows which you struggle to find in many hotels. Slept like a log it was so comfortable. The food was absolutely fantastic and the breakfast was of the highest standard . It was quiet and peaceful yet there was a real good atmosphere in the bar area and foyer. The view of the river shannon from the suite was so refreshing and relaxing. The staff were the the nicest we have ever encountered anywhere we have ever been. The girl who was the pastry chef making the pancakes on pancake tuesday was so friendly made us feel right at home and the pancakes were delicious, Peter one of the managers was so nice and accomodating and Sean Foley I think that was his name the deputy general manager was a real gentleman and couldnt do anymore for the guests in the hotel. All the staff in general were the friendliest we have ever encountered and they are a real asset for the Strand Hotel. I could write several A4 pages on the Strand and it would not do it justice it was so wonderful. It is so convenient just walk across the bridge and you are in O Connell Street. Car parking is excellent and safe. We will return to Limerick soon and there is no decision on where we will be staying The Limerick Strand will be the choice and we would recommend it to anyone you will not be dissapointed. P and H

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank POC14
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Went to my staff Christmas party here, great big crowd but we all still managed to be treated as well as if we were a small crowd. The night was fantastic. A mulled wine reception, as much as you liked, in a beautiful lobby. The whole place was amazingly decorated for Christmas, it actually felt magical. Had a beautiful meal with complimentary mince pies. The dining room and dancefloor were spacious and perfect for the entertainment. We weren't kicked out until we were ready to. I hadn't booked to stay but i wish I had!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank oggyireland
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I was at a hen party in Limerick and was staying in this hotel, and while the receptionist I checked in with was lovely, when my mother-in-law had an issue with her card key, the receptionist tried to fob her off and asked if she had had it near her phone, then before he would give her a new key, he insisted on checking it as if he didn't believe her. The next day at breakfast there I didn't want to take up a four-person table on my own but there were no other tables with cutlery. When I asked where the cutlery was, one of the staff snapped at me that it was on the table. So I had to sit at a four-person table alone. Then I was waiting about 10-15 minutes for someone to come and take my order for coffee. When it didn't arrive 15 minutes later, I tried to get the attention of passing staff and was studiously ignored. Also a lady asked me if she could take some of the cutlery at my table as she had been waiting 15 minutes to be given clean cutlery. My breakfast was delicious, my room was clean and comfortable, but the staff were so rude and unfriendly I wouldn't stay here again.
Suzy from Dublin

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Just back from a fabulous birthday celebration in the Strand Hotel. We booked 4 rooms including a suite and we had a fantastic time. Staff extremely helpful and friendly. Amazing view of the river from suite. Hotel Bar buzzing at 2am with a lovely atmosphere. Excellent breakfast service and we got a lovely table for 8 to round off our celebrations. I would highly recommend the Strand Hotel for a girls weekend away.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Roisin C
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Pros ... Great central location, comfortable spacious clean room. Plenty of options on kids menu. Our hotel package included trip to king johns castle which was very enjoyable. Very nice breakfast!

Cons... Bar food overpriced and very average, there were 6 of us eating with 5 small children , kids meals are overpriced and don't included dessert as is the case in many other hotels, ice cream is an extra 4 euro, this hotel needs a kids meal deal, I had a very average club sandwich and it was 15 euro. Not worth it! The service in the bar (for bar food) was very slow at times. We ate in the restaurant on the second night and the food quality was definitely better.

In saying that, we would recommend the hotel but it would come with a warning about the overpriced bar food.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cherzee
Reviewed 24 February 2014

The staff was courteous, and the rooms were nice and clean. I found the hotel was well situated to the everything, where we were able to walk to St. John's Castle, and also within walking distance of all the shopping and city centre. They is a cost of 6 Euros per night for parking at check-out, which i thought was rather reasonable. I was able to come and go with the car as the main desk would provide a stamp to exit the parking area. They was a wide range of choices of food for breakfast; cereals, porridge, sausages, bacon, scrambled egss, fresh fruit, yogurt, juices, and black pudding. Would definately stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family