“A brilliant hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Cork
“A brilliant hotel”
Reviewed 11 November 2008

I recently stayed in the strand hotel and found it excellent. When we arrived the reception staff were very friendly and efficient. When we opened the door I was struck by how big the rooms were. The bed was large and very comfortable. There was plenty of desk space and a nice comfy chairs to relax. The bathroom was nice and spacious and the shower was very refreshing. The tv had many of the basic channels e.g. RTE, BBC1 etc. The hotel bar was really nice and the staff very friendly. I did not get a chance to try the food in the bar but it looked really nice. I had dinner in the hotel restaurant and I must say it was delicious. The hotel was situated in a perfect location only a 2 min stroll to city centre.

Internet in the room was quite expensive at €20 for 24 hours. Along with the €5 car park per night does add up. I think these additions should be offered free to hotel guests.

I would defo reccommend staying at this hotel and hope to get a chance to return in the near future. An all roun excellent hotel!

• Liked — The Location & pool was excellent
  • Disliked — Paying for Car park
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
ireland
Reviewed 6 November 2008

When I booked this hotel it was a Hilton so I was expecting something special. Unfortunately it wasn't. At check in, the receptionist was cold and abrupt. The bedrooms are quite spacious but there was nothing 4 star about them. They have the usual tea/coffee facilities, hairdryer etc. but no extras. One shampoo, conditioner and shower gel between two guests is not adequate.

There was no information pack about the hotel in the room which I found unusual: it meant that you had to phone reception when you wanted to find the most basic information such as the pool opening times, restaurant menus, the location of the tourist attractions, churches, etc. I also had to request robes, as although they are listed on the website as supplied, they are not left in the rooms.

The hotel charges €4 per 15 min on the internet.

To ensure you are only charged the €5 per day in the carpark you have to get your carpark ticket scanned at reception every time you want to leave the hotel, and as they do not have enough staff on reception this can take a while.

I have stayed in three star hotels that treated their guests with more respect and offered a better service than the Strand.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
Cork
Reviewed 5 November 2008

Went here with my husband for a relaxing break. We stayed Saturday and Sunday nights B&B inclusive evening meal. Hotel was quiet but considering it was November no surprise there. The rooms are nicely decorated. The beds are huge and so comfortable. The rooms have blackout curtains and honestly I had to set the clock in the morning to wake me up as the room was pitch black. The hotel is spotless in general.
The breakfast room is self service. Cold buffet was lovely. I do prefer hot breakfast served fresh and not pre-cooked but that's a personal choice. It was okay. The evening meal was tasty. Small portions but nicely presented. The service in the restaurant was fantastic. Hotel staff were very friendly and provide a fantastic service. The hotel (formerly The Hilton) is a five minute walk from O'Connell street. Perfect location for shopping. I will definitely go back to stay in this hotel. It was very pleasant.

• Liked — The comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — Noise from aircon unit
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed 3 November 2008

This hotel needs to do the following:

1. Stop poisoning people with their substandard food
2. Fix the taps in the bathroom - falling off in patrons' hands
3. Create some atmosphere - dead a door nail with the worst bar in the history of bars everywhere

Other patrons thinking of staying here need to contemplate the following:
1. STOP! Don't stay here - You can get BETTER VALUE elsewhere. e.g., Walk across the bridge and knock on strangers' doors.
2. The parking is OK.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mayo29
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 28 October 2008

My husband and his parents stayed at this hotel, using the Supervalu breaks offers. We booked this when it was the Hilton and was surprised to get this on the SV break offer and even more so for a bank holiday weekend!
We arrived there mid afternoon on a horribly wet Saturday. Check in was great, and my mother-in-law was delighted to get a smoking room - we assumed there wouldn't be any. Prior to that, we'd been offered rooms next door to each other, when they mentioned smoking rooms, they were moved to another corridor on same floor. We hadn't requested rooms together anyway, so it wasn't a problem. Day was so miserable, we adjorned to the bar after admiring our room! We had lunch in the bar. It's a nice, modern bar. Staff are excellent. Had few glasses of wine, very nice, but very expensive! Later that night went into town and ate at Jasmine Palace - really good. Booked taxi via reception and that all went great.
Rooms are lovely and comfortable, the duvet is great!! Husband disliked pillows, I'm not fussy about pillows but they seemed fine to me. Bathroom is great, tioletries are fanstastic - the shampoo and conditioner is really good - my hair looked and felt fantastic after using them.
Later that night, was woken by noise out in the corridor - noisy guests returning.
Brekfast next morning was a bit of a disaster area - huge huge queue when got down - really annoys me as a hotel must know that there will be alot of people at the end of breakfast time. Queued for possibly 20 minutes. 4 of us were together and we were given a tiny table - it was a 2-person table, which they added 2 more settings to. Annoying to see one and two people at huge 4 -6 person table. I liked breakfast, I like a buffet breakfast - there is so much stuff I don't like that I prefer to pick out my own breakfast! I was delighted that there was bottles of water available all the time. Staff were again excellent at breakfast.
We spent the rest of day shopping - lovely fresh late autumn day, just a lovely day. DInner at hotel that night. I loved it. We had a special menu, but my husband opted for the full menu. Food was really good and we were given extra little bits - smoked salmon sushi at the start and a sorbet after starter. The portions aren't huge here, but they are actually just right and it made me realise how much we normally eat!! Very nice bottle wine and at a good price. once again, staff excellent.
Brekfast next morning was much better - did get down earlier and queue of few minutes. However, that was onyl queue all morning and it was simply caused by time they take to get everyone to their table. This time, I was alone, with husband maybe joining me and I was given a huge table, while smaller ones free - I was happy enough with it, but I do think it's bad planning from them - parents-in-law actually joined me later, so it worked out fine. Liked the papers that were availalbe during breakfast.
Check-out was easy. Did notice queue there earlier when lots people seemed to checkout together, but we were only people there when went to check out. One annoyign thing is the lifts - only 1 lift goes to carpark - and it's the smallest one of the 3! Constant queues and waitign and it's not obvious where the stairs is - in fact it's not obvious anywhere in hotel, where stairs are - we were on 1st floor and I didn't know how to get to our room via stairs! Found it as I was leaving carpark just before checkout!!
The car park needs to be paid for - it is discounted by hotel, but I would have expected parking to be provided!!

• Liked — Rooms, especially bathrooms.
  • Disliked — Paying for car-park. Hidden stiairs!!!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
sleepyrhino
Reviewed 23 October 2008

Since changing from the Hilton I think they've had a few problems, and closing the bar with no warning is not really the best way to keep your guests happy! maybe more information about the facilities and opening times should be made available so guests can plan around the hotel's rules

• Liked — Cocktails
  • Disliked — Organisation of staff in evenings/night
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 16 October 2008

I can't believe some of the negative reviews on this site about this hotel. I am from Limerick myself and our wedding was held here last August. I found the staff to be very helpful in the build up and on the actual day. The room we were provided with was amazing with the best view of Limerick I have ever seen. But what really bothers me is that some people critique the food. I have eaten in the hotel three times and each time the food has been exquisite. Lots of guests at our wedding commented on the excellent quality of the food compared to standard wedding fair. We finally got around to booking our anniversary dinner in the Strand last weekend and standards most certainly haven't slipped since the Hilton brand has gone. We were given little extras between every course of our meal and an ice sculpture full of strawberries and chocolates was provided with desert. Every course from the menu was cooked to perfection- the steaks are particularly excellent. I'm not sure who the chef is but he is doing a very good job as far as I'm concerned. I would look forward to any meal I had the chance to eat in this restaurant.

• Liked — The Food
  • Disliked — Car Park Charge
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple