“4.5 stars - very good overall”

The George Limerick
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Review of the George boutique hotel Limerick.

We stayed as a family of two adults and two children in December partly business partly pleasure.

The room we were allocated was on the top floor was very quiet, spacious, comfortable and more than met expectations.
The hotel itself is proactive in planning for its guests in that the restaurant manager, Justin organised for our meals a few days in advance because he knew the restaurant would be extremely busy during our stay.
This worked out very well for all concerned.

Quality of the food was very good and the value received very good also.

The hotel itself is very central in Limerick so it's easy to go shopping or to visit the sights .
The hotel itself doesn't have its own car parking however it has arrangements with nearby car parks which were not too far away although mildly inconvenient it didn't take away from our stay.

The staff at the george were efficient and courteous and were a credit to the hotel.
If first offered similar value would be happy to come back and stay again.
I would like to award 4.5 stars

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank davidandclann
The George Bout... H, General Manager at The George Limerick, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment on your stay at the George Boutique Hotel, Limerick City.

We hope to see you again very soon at The George Boutique Hotel, Limerick City.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I had to stay in Limerick for a recent Xmas work night out. We had a few drinks at the bar before and watch the end of the Munster v Perpignan game. It’s a good spot to watch a match. We didn’t eat when there but I have in the past and found what I had was very good.
We were a bit late back and one of the lads that had not planned to stay end up needing a room and the staff were more than happy to help him out. Even made him a sandwich at some ungodly hour of the morning.
All in all nice room, very convenient for going out in town, Nice friendly / helpful staff, Parking is ok for a city Hotel. Gets my thumbs up.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us on your recent visit to Limerick.

I hope that due to your positive experience we will be able to welcome you back to The George Boutique Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

I had my xmas party this year with my company in the george hotel. i was disappointed when i heard we were having it at a hotel, as i always felt that xmas parties in a hotel are like a bad wedding without the bride and groom....i decided to give it a go anyway...

I arrived a little late and the other staff were eating already so for starters i ordered a chicken and mushroom Vol-au-vent which tasted like the chef had gone to lidl and purchased it in the frozen food section, popped it in the microwave and then served it to me. I was not impressed by this.

For my second course i had the soup. what kind of soup it was i have no idea but when the waitress asked what it tasted like I replied - it tastes like socks.... it was a turnip flavour with a hot aftertaste. not very appetising...I reached for a breadroll as i was hungry however just as i did the waitress ripped the basket from my clutches...so much for bread...

The main course was steak which was a bit on the small side. this weas the best part of the meal.

The dessert was an assortment of mini desserts (the other option was xmas pudding which looked awful) which wasn't too bad but a few samples of desserts does not make a dessert in my book.

The band were pretty brutal and my ears were ringing after listening to them playing lady gaga out of key....

also we were promised a magician on the night but i guess he made himself disappear before out party because i never saw him.

I have to say if it was up to me i would never have had our xmas party in this place.

Not great really guys....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank John R
The George Bout... H, Manager at The George Limerick, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

We are sorry your experience didn’t live up to your expectations whilst at your work Christmas party. During December we were pleased to host over 1,000 people from various companies at their Christmas parties and feedback has been very positive with many groups already reserving tables for next year.

The comments you have shared with us will enable us to continually improve on the service we provide to our guests in the future.

Justin Waters
Restaurant Manager

Reviewed 17 December 2013

A boutique hotel is unique in some way. It could be tech savvy or it could be small and intimate. This is not a boutique hotel as I understand the term. Rooms are clean but decor is dull and dated. The hotel lacks character but provides the basics adequately. Food is fine but lacks refinement. Bar was extremely busy due to Xmas office parties and bar staff were very busy and you had to fight for service. The security staff coped well with messy drunk who fell and upset glasses on our table but nobody enquired if we were ok or if our drinks had been spilled. Reception staff were good. Location is superb and if you want to enjoy city centre pubs and restaurants this is the ideal place. Parking is in a nearby multistorey carpark. This is close enough to walk easily. Costs a maximum of €7.50 per day and is free from 6pm to 10 am on weekends.Overall adequate but the name promises more.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TheBestMac

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in The George Boutique Hotel, Limerick.

We are delighted to receive your comments and feedback as it is through these comments we can continually improve on the service we provide to our guests.

I hope that I will be able to welcome you back to The George Boutique Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

I arrived for my work Xmas party , It was €40 a head and 4 courses so I was expecting a decent meal

First Starter – Duck Spring Roll – this was a frozen spring roll re-heated , fair enough I wouldn’t expect fresh handmade ones at a packed xmas party

They looked appetizing but unfortunately were tasteless and barely had any duck in them, I thought I had burnt my mouth or there was something wrong with my tongue but NO , they actually tasted of nothing you would expect event the cheapest ready made ones to at least taste of something

Second Starter – Vegetable soup , This is served in 99% of restaurants in Ireland as “soup of the day” and to be honest it’s hard to get wrong , it was a tasteless bowl that left a powdery residue in my mouth , powdered instant soup… If I wanted a cuppa soup I would have brought one with me and asked for a mug of hot water

I couldn’t eat more than two mouthfuls without having to stop and wash my mouth out with water
I have never been to prison but I reckon this is the soup they serve people in solitary confinement

I spotted a basket of bread rolls on the other end of the table but unfortunately these were taken away by the waitress in a hurry before I got a chance

Main Course : Steak – Decent enough piece of steak no seasoning whatsoever but tasted alright with a bit of salt and pepper

Served with a couple of tiny mushrooms , soggy chips that were gone cold and mushy veg that looked like it was there for a week

Desert – Xmas Pudding – 2 tiny thin slices of xmas pudding that wouldn’t feed a toddler , it was covered in a strange white custard like substance that tasted bland , reminded me of hospital food

It is not hard to make instant custard and put something into the microwave

After desert got a cup of tea that was just poured out of the pot very weak and watery , Overall for a four star hotel the food was shocking and I was left hungry

I must note we were told there would be a magician also , no sign of any magician at any of our tables for the entire night

After the live band the DJ left music on and left , he left the pitch on at + 10% turning every xmas song into a squeaky chipmunk remix - very professional I must say

I received free parking around the corner and was escorted to my car by the porter who was friendly and helpful - this was a good touch

All in all for a four star hotel with a great location and friendly staff this was very disappointing the food let it down big time

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ger G

Thank you for your comments re your experience at your work Christmas party.

Please let me assure you and our many other guests that our Duck Spring roll starter is freshly made daily and are one of most popular dishes. They are never frozen. All our soups on offer in December were made from roasted vegetables and potato, prepared each day by our Sous chef. Though we are sorry you missed out on bread rolls. All of our steaks are seasoned just prior to grilling on our hot iron. All vegetables are supplied daily from local Limerick suppliers and cooked to order.

Please let me extend our apologies that your were satisfied in your visit. We constantly endeavour to continually improve on the service we offer to all our guests. We hosted over 1,000 people this year at our Christmas parties, many groups having reserved tables for next year already.

We would like to extend our thanks for your comments about our team members.

Justin Waters
Restaurant Manager

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We had our staff party here last Saturday night 14th December - what a great night, the food was excellent, the atmosphere was electric, the staff were courtious & friendly. We even had Santa & his Elves visit us at our Dinner table. We were entertaioned pre0meal with local Magician Leon Anderson which was brilliant.
I would highly recommend this hotel & their staff

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your meal with us at the gBK Restaurant in The George Boutique Hotel, Limerick City.

I hope that due to your positive experience we will be able to welcome you back to The gBK Restaurant in the very near future.

Tony Tynne
Bar Manager

Reviewed 14 December 2013

I had a very comfortable stay in George Boutique. It is centrally located and very near to the top shopping streets. Easily accessible public transport from the hotel. Reception staff was very courteous during the check in and out. Especially the staff in restaurant Malini was very kind and helped us to try new stuffs from kitchen. The room was clean and cosy and had all amenities with very good wifi connectivity. Overall enjoyed the stay at the George.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

We strive to get it spot on from reservation to departure and are always delighted when we get it right. We hope to see you again very soon at The George Boutique Hotel, Limerick City.