“Convenient layover, no frills hotel”

The George Limerick
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Baltimore, Maryland
“Convenient layover, no frills hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I decided to stop for the night in Limerick after a long driving day through the Burren en route to Dingle. Finding the hotel entrance is manageable, however, I would have appreciated it if the hotel had provided parking details in advance of arrival. Not terribly convenient, and no valet, but if you expect it that the rates they charge, you've got another thing coming! The hotel is in the middle of an urban center - the do-it-yourself parking accommodations reflect that. Anyone who has stayed in a city will find this no different. The hotel was inexpensive, modern vibe (especially the bar area), no frills. The room was clean and comfortable after a long day in the car, and that's all we wanted. If you're looking for an attentive staff to wait on you, with more plentiful amenities, I would recommend staying elsewhere. No complaints for us.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
The George Bout... H, General Manager at The George Limerick, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in The George Boutique Hotel, Limerick.

I hope that I will be able to welcome you back to The George Boutique Hotel in the near future.
Altaf Khan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bray, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed one night in The George Hotel. When we arrived the man at reception was rude and ignorant, he treated us like we were an inconvenience. This created a very bad first impression. However, everyone else we dealt with throughout the hotel was extremely friendly and efficient.

The room was nice. It was quite small, but we were only staying one night so that was ok. The bathroom was nice and the shower was very good. The temperature in the room was comfortable. There was little to no noise in the room or outside the room which was great.

Breakfast was good. There was a good selection of breakfast food and the hot food is cooked to order, which is good. The juices and milk on display in the breakfast buffet were not refrigerated, they were just sitting out, which is not ideal. The milk should definitely be refrigerated. The decor of the restaurant is very nice.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay, the location is great, and the staff (bar one) are very good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

We are delighted to receive your comments and feedback as it is through these comments we can continually improve on the service we provide to our guests. I am disappointed you had a bad expereience on check in as of the 85 reviews posted this year, most complimentary about the friendliness of our staff.

Kirkland, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

The entrance to the hotel is not well marked. It was impossible to find a place to park to check in. The parking accommodations are terribly inconvenient.

The rooms are disgustingly dirty. We put out the service sign on the door and phoned reception twice the second day, to get our room serviced. It was finally somewhat serviced around 6pm.

The huge restaurant/bar have only 1-2 servers, who seem to do a million odd jobs. They are unbelievably RUDE! Terrible service, terrible food, dirty restaurant.

So. Rey happy to be out of this place!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NJevelina
The George Bout... H, General Manager at The George Limerick, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear NJevelina

I am sorry you chose to give us such a poor review on Trip Advisor. Of the 85 reviews posted this year 95% of the guests writing about us chose to rate us either as excellent or very good and were most complimentary about the quality of our food and the friendliness of our staff.

The Hotel is situated on a junction of the main street in Limerick. There is a large sign measuring 45 feet down the side of the wall on the main street which reads 'The George Hotel'. The Tourist Office have placed a public authority sign on the corner of the junction which also reads 'The George Boutique Hotel'. A 15 foot vertical blue sign hangs directly over the entrance. A search of Trip Advisor will show that being able to find us has not proven difficult for other guests.

There is a set down area with space for three cars directly outside the main entrance of the hotel, which most guests use to unload luggage at.

None of our rooms are dirty and again a glance at Trip Advisor will show that the majority of guests compliment our cleanliness. I apologize that it took so long to have it serviced that day which is inexcusable on our part.

The food in our restaurant is excellent and we constantly have people note the quality on Trip Advisor, Facebook, Twitter and among friends. The restaurant has seating for 70 people so it can hardly be described as large. It is bright and very clean.

Brighton, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

This hotel has a great location near the main intersection of Limerick and close to the Shannon River which you can walk along for a ways. We spent one night at this hotel with our tour group in April of 2014. Room was small but comfortable. We ate dinner in the bar area of the restaurant and there was some special for dinner which included salad, entree and dessert - I can't recall the price now but I do recall thinking at the time that the price was good - good value and the food was very good.

Room Tip: We were with a tour group and had a random room which was fine.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us on your recent visit to Limerick.

I hope that due to your positive experience we will be able to welcome you back to The George Boutique Hotel in the near future.

Carlow, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

... so disappointed in very poor shower pressure and paper thin walls, I could literally join the conversation couple next door had. The room was stuffy and loud when opened the window. But if you don't mind any of that, the location couldn't be any better.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
meath
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night and was very surprised by the hotel! Great location to o connell street parking was easy. Our king room was lovely big and the bed really comfy .staff were very friendly and even posted my work post for me as I'd Forgotten to do it rushing off Friday. Will definitely stay again

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
The George Bout... H, General Manager at The George Limerick, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a comment on your stay at the George Boutique Hotel, Limerick City.

We strive to get it spot on from reservation to departure and are always delighted when we get it right.

We hope to see you again very soon at The George Boutique Hotel.

Kind Regards
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

The hotel is called The George. I repeat, The George.
Not the 'The George Boutique Hotel', so when you're driving past desperately trying to find it don't be tricked into thinking the place is called, The George Boutique Hotel, as I was.
I also say this as the entry point for this Hotel isn't even on the rd advertised, its on a side street, very confusing until you know.
What complicates matters is the parking for this hotel, which you have to pay for yourself (although validated to make it cheaper), isn't at the hotel, its a 5 min walk away. Very annoying and confusing when you're on holiday and entering a new city. You have to find 2 places. Its not clear if you should drop your bags off first then park. I would suggest parking first. But then you have to walk with your bags. I didn't see a place where you could pull up outside the hotel.
They should make it clearer about the parking because most people coming to the city have surely driven there and will want to park. To be fair the parking cost me 7.50 euro for 36 hrs, not bad.
I ordered food downstairs and when they brought it up it was missing my soup. When I went back down to order another Guinness I told them and they apologised and gave me the Guinness for free, they were very genuine about correcting this mistake, and also very quickly got the soup. It was good soup actually too.

The hotel is pretty good value for money, slightly rough around the edges. The coffee in the room is plunger coffee which i think is a nice touch, most hotels provide instant. The food menu downstairs wasn't amazing, I had been travelling and to be honest I didn't really feel like any of the food, but i think this is a case of most hotels serving the same type of food rather a failure of The George.

I would come back to The George, even though it isn't the boutique hotel it is trying to be.

Room Tip: My room didnt have a view, except of other rooms. There isnt a fitness centre or swimming pool.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Oliverlstanley
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

As regards your comments concerning our parking arrangements - unfortunately we don't have our car park as we are located right in the city centre.

We do have a Set Down Area located outside the door of the hotel if guests decide to drop off their bags first. We also have an agreement with 2 multi story car parks located just around the corner from the hotel.

Option 1: Howleys Quay Car Park - Entrance is located on Henry Street
Contact Details: +353 61 401 833
Overnight parking is FREE
18.30 to 08.00 weekdays – Free
18.30 to 10.00 weekends – Free
Maximum Day Rate or 24 hours is €7.50
3 day pass: €15
Weekly pass: €20
Weekend pass for €15.00 Friday till Sunday, park anytime on Friday until anytime on Sunday.

Option 2: Harvey’s Quay Car Park (Above Dunnes Stores) Entrance is located on the Quay Side: +353 61 468 240
19.00 to 09.00 – €5 payable at pay station in Car Park
Day Parking (8am – 6pm) – €6.50 payable at pay station in Car Park
24 Hours Parking – €8 payable at pay station in Car Park
Evening Parking (6pm – Midnight) – €4 payable at pay station in Car Park
Weekend pass for €15.00 Friday till Monday
Weekly pass 7 days €18.00

We hope to be able to welcome you back to The George Boutique Hotel in the near future.