“Good hotel”

Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Brick, New Jersey
“Good hotel”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I would recommend this hotel for travelers to Limerick. The city itself is kind of seedy but the hotel staff was very helpful. I agree with Paul L, do not pay your bill in dollars. I'm not sure why they would even ask but it is way more expensive.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed in the hotel for 2 nights. The location is slightly outside the town center but we walked to town both evenings (10 minutes). The taxi back cost us 6.5e first night and even less the second night. The room was modern, clean and cosy - the bathroom doors are made from glass, big rain style shower, comfy bed. Our room was on second floor, the window was just above the main road - it can get a bit noisy with the window open. The bar was more of a lounge (no music), the chairs are comfortable and the view of the river is nice. We enjoyed our stay and we will be coming back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Stayed here on a Saturday night of a cold wet weekend and was very impressed with the hotel . The hotel is a typical new hotel , smart and stylish and modern looking .
The rooms too were of a high standard . One flaw for me was the lounge/bar area , it just felt more like a departure lounge then a welcoming bar , we had planned to settle down there but really the atmosphere wasn't much and we moved on after one drink .
However top marks to the restaurant where we had an evening meal , a very reasonably priced menu and a well presented delicious meal , the restaurant was v busy (obviously word has spread ) and service was probably a tad slow by the otherwise pleasant waitresses.Breakfast too was excellant .
So all in all , a very nice stay and hopefully we'll get back ..

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river .
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
cork
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My cousin and I stayed here for two nights. Michelle who checked us in could not have been nicer. The room was fabulous and our requests for a quiet room with a view were taken seriously and we were accommodated accordingly. I would agree with the reviewer who complained about the pillow. I found the pillows too hard and forgot to ask for a feather pillow. I know that if I had asked I would have been looked after and pillows, like mattresses, are all about personal preferences and a hotel could not possibly cater for all tastes. I loved the room: great interior design. The breakfast probably needs a bit of tweaking. The orange juice was not pleasant and the porridge was not great. However, the coffee, fresh fruit and yoghurt were all excellent, Though I did not have the full Irish it looked very palatable for a buffet. Breads and pastries might need to be reviewed too. One suggestion that I would make to the breakfast manager would be to ask people who are still eating their breakfast if they require anything else before the buffet is removed. It is just a simple courtesy. That said, the fact that the breakfast is served until 11am is a wonderful consideration for guests. I also note that the manager Donnacha Hurley takes the time to read and respond to these reviews in a mature and non-defensive manner. This impresses this reviewer no end. This is a great hotel. It is only a 10 minute walk from the city centre which I do not consider to be far out and it deserves its star rating. Well done to Donnacha Hurley and all the staff.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 4 February 2014

The rooms were very nice. I was impressed. The beds were average, but pillows were flat/lifeless. The room at the price I paid was an excellence value.
I wish this hotel, that is trying to be a premium property, was not running the exchange rate scam. I was asked if I want my credit card charged in Euros or Dollars. I can't think of a single reason to ask this unless the only goal is to make more money off of you by using an inflated FX rate. (which they did)
Checking in was not great either. I felt so sorry for the poor girl at the desk. She was the only one there, and there were people asking questions, people needing taxis, and all while she was trying to check me in. They should have had more staff working. She did her best to be polite, but it was, "here's your key, elevators are that way," see you later. Normally I prefer the short and sweet, but I had a few questions about getting to the airport in the morning.
The rooms are the best thing going for the place when I stayed there.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Paul L
DonnachaGM, General Manager at Absolute Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thanks for the positive feedback points during your stay.
To address the scam allegation, it is important to clear up that there is none. Guests are offered to pay their bill in local or home currency. There is no forcing or leading of guests to go one-way or another. There is a clear choice. Guests should be told the home currency equivalent charge for clarity and if this did not happen I will reinforce with the team as I have no intention to be dishonest or disingenuous. Finally on this point to say there is a commission for the hotel but the staff are not guided either way. it is not viewed as a revenue centre in the hotel, it is a service offered.
We really try to staff appropriately but sometimes everyone can come to desk at once which catches us out. We don’t always have 2 people one but in saying that there is a reservations office behind the desk that helps in addition to a duty manager who can be called. This clearly did not happen in your experience.
I have not had consistent negative feedback on the pillows or beds but we keep an eye to see if this is a trend.
Regards
Donnacha Hurley
Killarney, Ireland
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

I just stayed in the absolute this weekend after it being highly recommended. I have to admit I was disappointed.
This hotel is clean but basic. I got a deluxe room & it was standard. Too far out from the city to be worth it. The spa facilities are not great and massage was not good. Really don't like the vending machines on the corridor a bit tacky. There was much cheaper hotels in limerick at the weekend & I am sorry we didn't stay somewhere more central. Bar staff were poor & baileys coffee was bad.
I would not stay here again.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Trish M
DonnachaGM, General Manager at Absolute Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thanks for the feedback but I’m disappointed how we let you down in a number of areas.
I’ll take on board the feedback regarding location and rooms.
Sometimes we’re just not what people expect and that’s always a disappointment for us to let people down as they arrive.
I’ll give the specific feedback to the spa and we’ll practice our baileys coffee! The comment regarding the poor staff is totally unacceptable and if I had any specifics I would action immediately.
I feel we have failed when people say they would not stay here again as its our job to bring them back. We’ll change what we can change and drive on
Regards
Donnacha Hurley
Bloomfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 1 February 2014

In the heart of Limerick, a brand new gorgeous hotel. Rooms were very nicely appointed. Attractive bar and restaurant with a good breakfast menu. Walking distance to castles and food! Staff was very helpful with suggestions, and directions to local attractions. Free secure parking and wifi greatly appreciated.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends