“Nice Hotel but Be Prepared if you dont have a credit card!”
Review of Absolute Hotel

Absolute Hotel
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Waterford, Ireland
“Nice Hotel but Be Prepared if you dont have a credit card!”
Reviewed 6 September 2010

We booked this hotel as part of a deal I got in a department store recently. (2 nights B&B and 1 evening meal for €98) I made the reservation online and paid the deposit with a Laser Card.

We arrived at the hotel and we were impressed with the clean, modern lobby & reception area. The place looked lovely! We checked in at reception & we were asked for our credit card. I explained we only had Laser cards and we were told we had to pay for our stay in full PLUS a €50 deposit up front. I was hesitant but agreed as it was hotel policies ,but when the receptionist asked me for an extra €50 I was baffled to say the least! She said it was a €50 deposit for EACH night and we would get it back after I stay. I was annoyed because we had to hand over so much money up front as well as the full amount for our stay before we even saw our room and it left me with less money to spend in the hotel during my stay. Also, we were not allowed credit to our room, so no room service, no movies etc. all because we had a Laser card & not acredit card. Hotel policies fair enough, but I think customers should be made more aware of this at the time of booking so they would know to bring more cash with them. We got €50 back after our first night and the remaining €50 on check out.

On a more positive note, the rooms were nice and comfortable The shower was lovely-really large, powerful shower head but no bath. The bed was comfy & the flat screen tv was nice too. There were tea/coffee making facilities, hair dryer and toiletries in the bathroom too. Also, The food was gorgeous! We had bar food on the fist night which was lovely & the food in the restaurant on the 2nd night was even better. The bar man was kind and friendly and so were the waiting staff in the restaurant.

We booked in to the spa to use the thermal suites & it cost €15 per person. The staff were nice & friendly there too. We were told that the ice cave wasnt working and one of the steam rooms wasnt working either. When we went down to the thermal suites we realised that only 1 of the 2 showers was working, and some of the jets in the jacuzzi wernt working either :-( We were disappointed but we enjoyed the sauna anyway. We were only charged €10 each because of the inconvenience and the girl on reception at the spa gave us loads of free samples which were gorgeous!

I would probably stay at this hotel again if I got a good deal because its in a good location (only about 5 mins walk to the city centre) and most of the staff are really, really nice and welcoming. However, the fact that non-credit card holdres have to pay so much money up front on arrival and have restrictions during their stay would put me off I think! I would only recommend this hotel to a friend/family member if they ha a credit card.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GorgeousbutGrumpy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Mountshannon, Ireland
Reviewed 2 September 2010

such a great hotel. the hotel itself is really trendy and the rooms are just fab. have no compalints at all. would def stay again the next time im in limerick!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Carrara, Australia
Reviewed 26 August 2010

We stayed at this hotel for one night on our road trip around Ireland in a standard room with breakfast. The hotel was not easy to find as other trip advisors had commented on, even with GPS.
Limited parking in the street to unload your bags but free car parking under the building.
We were concerned a little with the area the hotel was in as well (another reviewer had commented on this as well), but we walked into town and it wasapproximately a 15-20 minute walk . Not a great area to be out walking in the night, next time would prefer to stay closer in the town.
Upon check in the reception area didnt feel overly warm and welcoming, bit like a chain motel and no real character, staff were friendly though.
The room was a reasonable size and quite modern and clean. The bathroom was the best part it was a reasonable size but the size of the shower itself and the rainhead shower was exceptional - after being away for about two weeks staying in various hotels this was the best shower so far.

We had drinks in the bar that night (outside on balcony) and then decided to have bar food inside. The service was a little slow, they forgot about us to start with, but the food was very good.
Breakfast the next morning was buffet style and whilst the continential buffet was satisfactory the hot food left a lot to be desired, bacon over cooked and half cold, eggs soggy, my husband decided not to eat it, but again most hotels seem to have this problem when its buffet breakfast.

Would we stay here again - no the hotel it not in the centre of town and I would not like to venture out at night in this area. But the rooms were clean and modern and it was reasonably priced.

We could not get laundry done in the hotel and after much prompting they found a laundry in town but we ultimately found one much closer to the one they directed us to. If you need laundry done to to Laundry Service in Thomas Street in the mall. 16Euros for a full bag, just leave it for them and they will do and you can pick up in couple of hours.
Overall this is a standard no frills hotel that provided value for money for a one night stopover.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Tripadvisor is new to me with regards to posting reviews but I find it helpful when I read a good review... I recently stayed in the Absolute Limerick for business and really enjoyed my stay. The rooms are beautiful.. however I just dont like the glass sliding doors on the bathroom... each to their own!! the service was really good and I availed of bar food in the evening which is reasonably priced I must say and very very good. Its in a great location and only minutes from the city so I will return again and I travel around alot for work so must make a more concious effort to review everywhere I stay and help all you fellow travellers out!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Dublin
Reviewed 22 August 2010

Hello.
Last Saturday l had a microdermabrasion done at the Escape Sap at the Absolue Hotel in Limerick. lt was a wonderful experience, the therapist Barbara was so lovely and made me feel so relaxed. l have been facials etc done for the last 15 years and l can honestly say this was by far the best, l would highly recommend Barbara, l wil certainly recommed Barbara and the Escape Spa to my friends who visit Limerick, and l certainly will return on my next visit , l luched in the bar and was very impressed also, the food was delicious, well done to all at the Absolute Hotel , keep up the great work

Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
cork
Reviewed 19 August 2010

Stayed here in July on the first stop of our Summer Tour of Ireland. Very modern hotel, a little walk outside of the town but nothing too stressful with the kids in tow, Room was nice and clean, didn't eat at the hotel as all the kids wanted was Burger King. Overall it was a good overnight stay in a nice hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2010

We enjoyed our stay at the hotel. Rooms were nice. The food was tasty and the service was very good

• Stayed July 2010