“Bringing back the class in Limerick”
Review of The Savoy Hotel

The Savoy Hotel
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Reviewed 1 June 2011

I recently dropped by the Savoy while I was back in Limerick recently, and I felt I had to write a review to put into context the out-of-context comments by the previous poster.

As a Limerick native, I almost know each and every coffee shop inside out - from where the best is to be had, to where the worst can be got. On my recent and first visit to the Savoy, I paid a visit to the lounge upstairs on a quiet Tuesday. I ordered the freshly baked scones with clotted cream and a selection of jams along with a regular americano. I can safely say that I have never eaten scones which were so fresh, and for a very reasonable price, I was very satisfied with my value for money (€5 in total). The presentation in a silver platter with complimentary chocolate was very impressive, and every piece of crockery and cutlery used was spotless - and graded.

This is a five star establishment, and €2.50 odd for a cup of freshly ground coffee is extremely good value. As I work in the hospitality industry, I have visited hotels not so far away in Dublin where €4.95 was happily charged for a cappuccino - now that is questionable!

From my brief visit, the Savoy seems to be an oasis of calm right in the centre of Limerick city. I would certainly recommend it to anyone considering a short break in Limerick - shopping, sport, live entertainment - all within a stones-throw! Hotels like this are one of many independently owned hotels that are focused on giving the 'céad míle fáilte' that is the basis of the Irish hospitality industry. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank failte89
Write a ReviewReviews (1,216)

Reviewed 24 May 2011

I have never stayed in the Savoy (as I live in Limerick) but I do like to visit for a couple of glasses of wine occasionally in the lovely upstairs lounge which is always a nice, relaxing experience. This weekend I visited for a cup of coffee – actually what I wanted was a pot of coffee but I was told that it was only possible to get coffee in a cup. The coffee arrived on a beautifully presented (but completely unnecessary)
tray and was to be honest a small cup of coffee. I would have much preferred to have had a nice pot of coffee with no ornamental delivery than the lovely display I was presented with!
The coffee was fine but a very small cup and no one even offered me a refill (even though the place was v quiet and given the I had specifically indicated that I wanted a pot of coffee not a cup). When I got the bill for my coffee and a couple of other drinks that my table had I noted with disgust that the coffee was €2.95 – ridiculously overpriced for such a small cup and I certainly wasn’t going to order another at that price even though my cup was empty after 5 minutes! I deliberately left it sitting near the edge of the table so that staff could clearly see that I was empty and it really is a standard in a heck of a lot of much cheaper establishments to automatically refill your cup without prompting. I’m Irish and though I’m not a big coffee drinker I do like a pot when relaxing in a nice hotel lounge every now and then, so I cannot see how that pathetic, overpriced and over decorated presentation of coffee would keep an awful lot of our more coffee loving tourists happy. Rip off Ireland at its finest. Won’t be visiting for coffee again anytime soon!
On a separate note, the staff tend to be very aloof though they never seem to be busy, a smile wouldn’t hurt every now and then. And finally, it’s a bit ridiculous that there are no bathroom facilities on the ground floor for people in the downstairs bar

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 21 May 2011

Got upgraded to a suite when my husband told receptionist it was our wedding anniversary. Room was fab, extremely comfortable bed, molten brown toileteries in bathroom, turndown service, flat screen tv with dvd player. Access to executive suite..complimentary tea, coffee, minerals, snacks.
Had dinner at Hamptons restaurant next door..fab food, manager very friendly (kerryman!) Made a fuss of our 6 month old which she loved!
Overall fantastic hotel, very friendly staff, fab food will definetely be back!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2011

Having stayed in this hotel on numerous occassions I can say that it certainly exceeds expections. The staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are well equipped, comfortable and spacious. Food is absolutely excellent - dinner in Hamptons (next door) and breakfast the following morning in hotel.... all freshly cooking and catered for individual requirements. Excellent value for money. Very central location. Definately will return on my next trip to Limerick......

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2011

We stayed here on a special deal. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The service was excellent: ice delivered to the room in the evening etc. The breakfast was very varied and high quality: fruit, cereals, pastry, cheeses, cold meats, cooked breakfasts, smoked salmon, smoothies, lovely breads etc etc. However the rooms, ours was an upgrade to an executive room, were well furnished but small and ours felt quite cramped. Duvets very heavy for this time of year. Ironing board had to be hauled out of the back of the wardrobe and was badly stained. The executive lounge was good to have as a quiet space, but quite ordinary. So, 5 star staff, 5 star service, 5 star breakfast... and a good 3 to 4 star room and surroundings. Also, we had to pay for parking in the day time. Our stay was fine for the price we paid, but at a 5 star price would be disappointing.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2011

The first time we came to the Savoy it was last muinte booking 1 nights b+b on our way to 4star in Cork.Never haveing stayed in a 5star before we had high expectations,the lobby was impressive the staff lovely and helpfull,the family roomclean and luxurious.
We had dinner in the panio lounge excellent food and service in lovely bright surroundings.
After a great nights sleep we had a fairytale breakfast the food and service was unbeliveably good.We sadly left to go to Cork knowing it would be an anti-climax,the 4 star was ok but too hot in bed food mediocre service cafe type.Next morning I booked 2 rooms in the Savoy, took the hit on early checkout in the Cork hotel and after some Cork sightseeing went home to the Savoy.
Once again it was brilliant,dinner and service in the Hamptons was not as good as the hotels own avalible in the 1st floor lounge but greater choice.
I am careful with money but the Savoy is real value. We came back in mid stepember with my mother and sister our 11 and 14 year old kids, herself and myself were upgraded to a jounior suite with a great view.Everyone in the party found the 2 day break perfect.I hate writing but looking at some poor reviews I wonder did they compare fairly on value and location close the windows if you dont want to hear sirens,complain to staff if something is wrong.
anyway just booked romantic break in the Savoy our favourite hotel

Room Tip: phone the hotel