“Great Location and professional staff”
Review of The Savoy Hotel

The Savoy Hotel
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Northern Ireland
“Great Location and professional staff”
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights during Christmas week. The Business Suite we stayed in was spacious and comfortable. All of the staff were excellent and attentive. Breakfast was first class with a wide range, try the bacon butty if the full Irish is too much! Great atmosphere in the Savoy Bar in the evenings.

Hamptons restaraunt next door is informal and has a super menu for lunch or dinner.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 6 January 2014

To celebrate LITTLE CHRISTMAS (Jan 6th) my wife and I had lunch in the Liszt Bar of the Savoy Hotel.
The service was great. The starters (Confit of duck, Caesar Salad) were very good.
The main courses (Corn fed chicken, Slow-braise Limerick Beef) were excellent.
Following up with cheesecake and coffees, this was a wonderful meal in very pukka surroundings.
Would recommend this place to anyone looking for high standards in the heart of Limerick City;

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I just stayed over Christmas at the Savoy with my husband as we were visiting family in the area. Without a doubt we enjoyed the most wonderful experience of service, hospitality and comfort we have had anywhere in the world in a long time. Simply "wow" service from the whole Savoy team and in particular, Christy, Mike, Srusanna,Ricardo and Rob in Hamptons Restuarant along with the whole team.
Highlights of our visit:
- super comfortable room, spacious and luxurious with divine beds - had best sleep for a long time.
- delicious breakfast buffet (included) and "Full Irish" of mythical proportions along with lots of non-traditional breakfast options, yum!
- superb service at every turn - really helpful and nice team who clearly care for their guests.
- Hamptons Bistro ...downstairs beside the hotel, simply the best option in the city.
- Afternoon Tea in the Lintz lounge ( with a glass of bubbly).. sheer bliss
- Shopping!! just a hop and a skip from literally everything in Limerick; Brown Thomas just across the street along with everything else. We shopped til we dropped and did it in style with hotel literally in the middle of everything.
- Great atmosphere, buzzy and fun...clearly the place to be in Limerick.
We can´t wait to return next Christmas. Thanks to one and all at the Savoy, we simply had a ball.
Happy New Year!
Orla Basave Benitez

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank OrlsB
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Couple in our early 30s, we stayed at the Savoy Hotel for 2 nights (originally meant to be 1 night) I booked a Large double room on booking.com but when we arrived at the hotel to check in I was told we had a twin room. I told the receptionist I specified a double room and she told me that booking on 'booking.com' does not guarantee the room/ bed type. Very poor service for a "5 star" hotel. She mentioned there was one double room which might be suitable and said she'd show it to us. Room was fine except there was a machine of some type on the floor. Receptionist said it was to get rid of a smell in the room. I couldn't smell anything so we accepted this room and accommodation took away the machine.
We also asked for a late check out and we were told 1 o'clock would be the latest as they were fully booked for the Sunday night. I had checked the hotel website earlier in the day and they had availability for Sunday as it was always in our heads that we might stay a second night. I checked when I got to the room and there was still availability on the hotel website, not sure why the receptionist felt the need to lie. 1 o'clock late check out was fine with us.
After an enjoyable night out in Limerick city we decided to stay a second night. I rang reception in the morning to ask if there was availability and sure enough there was. I asked what the rate would be and the guy on reception said €99 room only. I stated that the price on the website was €89 and he said that's a special online offer. I said I would book online then and he said I'd have to check out and check in again! I laughed at this point and said I might as well go home. He said he'd check with his supervisor and call me back. He called me back and said as its Christmas, we'll give you the room for €89. Big of him! It was our second night staying and we paid €99 for the first night. You'd think they'd give us the best rate possible especially when it was our second night.
The shower in the room had very poor water pressure.

The room was nice and big.

Bed was comfortable.

Location is good.

I won't be staying at the Savoy again. Customer service is very poor.

I have stayed at The Strand Hotel before and I'll probably go there for future visits to Limerick city. The customer service is far superior.

• Stayed December 2013
Cork
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with friends for New years Eve and to say it was a disaster is an understatement. I should say, I have seen this hotel many times and it looks lovely and is in a great location so I looked forward to staying, big mistake! When we arrived there was a power cut and we could not check in, these things happen so tried to be understanding, I asked if there was somewhere I could change as I needed to meet people, I was told "use the toilets in the restaurant next door" no thanks!!! We weren't offered a drink or anything, just told to sit down and wait. When we finally got into the room there was no.hot water, I rang reception to check and was told it was due to the previous power cut, again no apology I nearly felt it was my fault for the problems! One ice shower later we went to reception while leaving the hotel and asked for our room key ( they couldn't give it to us at check in) to be told that the key machine was broken so each time we wanted to go to our room we would have to be escorted by a staff member ( we felt guilty about going back down to the bar for a drink as we had to find someone to come up each time!!!) Breakfast in the morning was a similar shambles, our friend went down first and asked if we could have a table for six, the waitress said no as she couldn't be moving the tables, we then followed down only to see the manager move tables to allow a table of seven. Our table had no cups and half the cutlery missing. Then our food came and one Of the girls 'vegetarian' breakfast came with bacon!!! Our tea, coffee and toast were forgotten and it took 25 MINS to get the attention of a waitress and get these. At check out the receptionist was getting so many complaints that I felt sorry for her and so just said I was unhappy and left. I have worked in a few hotels and I can not understand the 5 stars, 3 at best! It's a shame to have to write such a bad review, but there is serious.customer service training needed here!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank JfromCork
Foynes, Ireland
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Visited just before Xmas excellent food in the upstairs plus some selection for breakfast only negative was the power of water in showers but overall most enjoyable stay room very spacious and bed very comfortable

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Friendly reception staff on arrival, but night staff were unhelpful when I requested more tea bags.
Beds are comfortable but rooms are a little shabby - lampshades were tatty and some stains on the bedlinen.
The bathroom was spacious - water not hot enough for a bath though, so that was disappointing.
I did not have breakfast here - it was €20 per person, despite the Bord Failte Cert in the room which states that €15 is the maximum they can charge.
Car parking is free from 8pm to 8am in the multi story across the road. I checked out around half eleven and paid nearly €7 in parking.
I was not overly impressed with my experience - I thought it would be more luxurious given its five star rating.
I wouldn't be in a hurry to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends