“Very friendly staff and excellent hotel”
Review of The Savoy Hotel

The Savoy Hotel
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I have stayed at Savoy several times, my last stay was in July 2014 for 1 week .

It is a very well run facility. The rooms are excellent, very comfortable after a long work day. Morning breakfast is just great. Very wide variety of breads / pastries /juices and great choices for hot cooked breakfast.

Front desk staff is very helpful, they even provided a dedicated wireless router just for my room since I was having trouble connecting to the internet connectivity.

Great location ... within minutes of walking distance to great places to eat & several pubs nearby.

Will highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank AG9500

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Staff were extremely helpful, from assisting with our luggage (on arrival and departure) to giving directions for our day trip to Loch Gur. On our third evening, a coach of guests arrived and were awaiting the lifts to their rooms. A younger member of staff noticed myself and my elderly mother and immediately brought us to a free lift in another location in the hotel....that's what I call customer service! Bottles of fresh still and sparkling water and ice were delivered daily to guest's rooms along with chocolates and the cleaning staff were obliging, unobtrusive and very mannerly. Beds in the hotel are really comfortable and there was a plentiful supply of pillows. The hotel is in a fantastic location with shopping, King John's castle and The Hunt Museum within walking distance. Very impressed!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Fianait
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Now this is what I call five star!! My sister and I stayed here on our way back from Kenmare, having stayed for one night in the Park Hotel, another five star hotel (apparantly) which is owned by the well known Brennan brothers. When we checked in we were greeted by a lovely gentleman called Christie, who even went out and moved the car for us. We had a room on the sixth floor and while the view wasn't great, the room more than made up for it. They say that the little things in life are important and that is certainly the case here-from the Molton Brown products in the bathroom to the chocolates delivered to the door in the afternoon, the attention to detail was excellent. Cocktails in the Savoy bar are a must-have and at only 8 euro each you could stay there all night. I have to mention Eoin the barman here- he even made cocktails that weren't on the menu and remembered what we were drinking on the second night- not too many places have this level of customer service. My sister had the Thai massage in the Spa and would highly recommend it to anyone who is staying here. We ate in the Hamptons restaurant on the second night and the food there was excellent. It is also in an ideal location- you just have to walk around the corner and you have all the shops you could need. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. The Brennan brothers could learn a lot from this place- maybe then they would understand what a five star hotel should be like. I will definitely be coming back here in the future.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Voyager15
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Fine hotel with central location.
Food and service at breakfast time was excellent. Service during afternoon tea was poor though. It took about 20-25 minutes for food to arrive, and coffee was cold/finished by then with no offer of a refill fresh cup. Quite surprised by this at a 5* hotel.
The Thai massage was top class, compliments to Mimi on her skills.
Service at booking and check-in were excellent with the receptionist calling me back to confirm our treatments had been booked. Compliments to Anna.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Geraldine C
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We had a lovely stay. Perhaps the rooms are not quite 5 star standard but they are big, well appointed and quiet. We got a voucher for breakfast which made it excellent value. The pool and fitness facilities are a bit small/limited (the pool is hot) but they hotel does not oversell these. The location could not be bettered and there are lots of road signs to the nearby car park which makes finding it easy.

Room Tip: Upgrade to quiet top flow rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JillLyon
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have stayed in many 4 star hotels but decided to treat ourselves to 5 star to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary! Only that we got a good deal online, we would have been extremely annoyed if we paid full whack!! I had emailed during the previous week requesting a upgrade. When we arrived we had been upgraded to executive room. The only notable difference was access to executive lounge, which had complimentary minerals and snacks!

We got to our room on the eight floor. We straight away noticed the badly chipped and worn furniture, then the torn and stained net curtains. Then I looked for the safe, which I could not find. When I rang reception to ask about safe and about changing room the receptionist spoke to me in a condescending tone, telling me there was a safe in every room. She insisted that there was a safe. When she then came up with key to new room she admitted there was no safe.

The new room she said was newly renovated!!! That was rubbish. The room was exact same. Chipped furniture, lamp shades beside bed very dusty, stain on wall etc. overall very disappointed and only thing that made this pleasant weekend was company of my wife.

If you are looking for five star this is not the place. Four star at best. Generally nice staff and small but nice bar. Breakfast was nice. They had deal for 10euro pp, ok value at that but not worth the full 18euro stated on menu. Also for money being paid, you would think parking in multi storey across the road would be covered.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay get a floor as high as possible to get best views of Shannon etc.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank oclear
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed in a family suite for 2 nights in July. Overall we were very pleased and happy with our stay here. The good impressions started at the booking phase when my emailed questions were returned within minutes! The hotel is a 5 star hotel but I would agree with previous reviews that feel that 4 stars is a better accolade. This used to be a Marriott hotel and the decor and finish demonstrate this, down to the marriott labeling which is still on huge telephones.
The rooms are a good size, clean and reasonably quiet except for neighboring doors slamming shut.
I was initially worried about parking but needed have been as the hotel is literally across the road from a large multistory with easy access, large entrance and ramp, ample spaces and costs 7.50 euros per day. The car park is above a Dunnes Store for food/drinks and papers.
The only downside was the in-room dining - this consists of a handful of meal choices only. There is a very nice Milano (Pizza Express) around the corner.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family