“Wonderful food”
Review of Westcourt Hotel

Westcourt Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Drogheda
Reviewed 11 January 2013

We attended our nephew's wedding at this hotel at the end of December, 2012. Staff were very helpful and food was really wonderful. The only drawback for us was that while the groom's family had booked in for the night, the hotel was not wheelchair accessible to the bedrooms and so my husband and I could not stay overnight with the rest of the family.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Westcourt Hotel

Reviewed 9 January 2013

Stayed here with my mum and sisters in August 2012 as it is in a pretty good central location and was close to an appointment I had the following. When we were checking into the hotel I noticed on a screen in the lobby that there was a debs on in the hotel that night, so I asked the receptionist were we likely to hear any noise from the room we would be in, she assured us not. So after check in we proceeded to our rooms. The interior of the lobby was nice and modern, as regards the rooms we were put into on the 1st floor they were quite dated. The outer bed sheets were frayed, carpet slightly stained in places and it was quite worn on parts also. Also be aware there are no lifts in the hotel, so you have haul your bags/suitcase up the stairs.

We ate and drank elsewhere in Drogheda so I can't comment on the food etc. in the hotel. However when we got to bed around 11:30 and it was more or less impossible to sleep. You could hear the music from the disco and feel the vibrations of it through the room. At 2:30am I got out of bed and got dressed to go down to the smoking area for a cigarette, it was on my way there I met the night porter who asked me was everything alright. I explained to him I couldn't sleep with the noise, he came back to me a few minutes later with complimentary earplugs saying "I was lucky these were the last pair he had".

I returned to my room with earplugs and spent the next 2 hours listening to the noise coming from the street after they had emptied the disco. (They don't have double glazing windows in the rooms either so you can hear everything from the street).

I don't like writing a bad review but I had an important medical appointment in Drogheda the following morning so that was the only reason we had booked the hotel in the first place so it was disappointing to say the least. When we were checking out I mentioned to the receptionist about the noise - she said that's why they supply earplugs.

I personally wouldn't stay here again but maybe for people attending functions in the hotel or a social event it might suit them. For those with walking difficulties just be aware there are no lifts, for anybody else staying here, just be sure to bring your own earplugs in case the hotel has ran out!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Bailey017
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Stayed in this hotel when attending a show in the TLT concert hall in Drogheda. Check in was quick but had problems with the wi-fi in the hotel as I couldn't receive it on my computer. It is located in town central to all amenities but far away from the TLT concert Hall. Would recommend to people staying in Drogheda.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank frodoireland_11
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I stayed here with my partner a while back and it was lovely. We stayed on a Sat night so there was some street noise but it is to be expected. The rooms were clean and had everything u needed. A bit dated but nothing a lick of paint wouldn't sort out. Staff were amazing, very helpful and the decor around the hotel is quite nice. Breakfast was lovely and I can't really fault anything :)

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2012

I recently stayed at the hotel with a friend, and picked this hotel as a place to stay on our last night in Ireland, prior to departing to the airport early (which was relatively nearby) the next morning. The photos make this seem like an up to date, modern hotel. In reality, but for the lobby area, this hotel is what you would have expected to find in a hotel in Ireland if travelling in the 1970's or 80's. Before I continue, let me first say that the staff was very nice and helpful. They would have to be, as there is no lift in the hotel, which means they have to drag your heavy luggage up many flights of stairs to get the luggage to your room. It also makes an interesting treck for you to get to your room, so older travellers, or travellers with physical limitiations, beware. In addition, the hotel is above a disco, which you can hear AND feel till all hours in the morning. They actually give you "complementary" earphones in your room to deal with this. In addition, you can hear someone in the room next to you/above you as clearly as if they were in the room with you. The floors creak away when someone walks on them. My room on the 2nd floor (read two large flights of stairs) was tiny, and I literally could not open my luggage in the room. The pictures, and reviews on this site, make it appear as if the hotel is on the upscale side. It is not. It is a good place to stay if you are going to a function in the hotel and dont want to worry about drinking and driving. It is a good place to stay if you are on a limited budget and are 25. If you are over 35, and are not going to pass out drunk in your room, do yourself a favor, and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: No lift, and hotel above a disco, stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Cathy G
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We booked a few months in advance, and a week prior to our arrival e mailed the Westcourt to ask for a specific room, we got a prompt reply assuring us that our request would be met. On arrival we found they had been true to their word.
Our room was beautiful, it was spotless and modern, the bathroom was modern and spacious.
The staff were very friendly and accommodating, we did not book breakfast in advance, but ate their every morning, it was beautiful every day, and for 7 euros it was worth every penny.
We ate there once at evening, and again it was good value for money and very enjoyable.
We would definitely recommend this hotel, as it is ideally located within the town, and is also one direct bus away from Dublin.
The only negative is there is no lift if you require one,
Would definitely recommend this hotel, the price for 3 night stay for the two of us was only 217 euros.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen H
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Loved the room at the back of hotel, top floor. Clean and very convenient.
The maid and plumbers assistant walked into room without knocking. caught me in
my PJ's. Great Plasma TV. But "the kettle, tv, radio did not work during my last day.
This is a real jekll hyde hotel. A doorman has to be summoned to gain entrance at night.
Why don't you get some entrance cards? The staff are very disjointed and when i arrived
they watched me as i trudged up the steps and struggled to open the front door without
offering to help open the door. They were however great in every other respect.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Finlayfilm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drogheda
The d Hotel Drogheda
Glenside Hotel
#4 of 5 in Drogheda
Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk
CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre

Been to Westcourt Hotel? Share your experiences!