“Céad mile fáilte”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Drogheda
London, United Kingdom
“Céad mile fáilte”
Reviewed 31 December 2011

I stayed here as I was attending a family funeral nearby. The staff (unlike in chain hotels in Ireland) were all locals and could not have been more welcoming or helpful. Room was furnished to a high standard, had a very comfortable bed, and an excellent shower. Bar food was generously proportioned and good value (as was breakfast) and of course the Guinness was excellent. Hotel is set back from the Dublin Road, which is quiet following completion of M1. If you don’t have a car there is a bus stop outside, with routes to nearby Drogheda and Dundalk to the north, and Dublin Airport and City Centre to the south. Coastal resorts of Bettystown and Laytown are a couple of miles away if you fancy some very fresh air.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank spikefromsurrey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 16 November 2009

As noted by previous visitors the rooms at the hotel are very tired and dated and in need of a good overhaul - several of the drawers in our room were falling apart and there is definitely a strange smell on first entering the room - one visitor has noted it as "musty" to us it almost smelt like stale cigarette smoke. However don't be completely put off - our stay was pleasurable enough and the food is definitely recommended although the wastage here must be enormous as they provide far too much in the way of veg with the meals. Even by hotel standards and Euro exchange rates though I must comment that I think £20 for a bottle of wine is vastly overpriced. Would I stay here again - possibly but not for any long term holiday - the staff are lovely - the location good for touring the area - but it just needs that little bit more TLC in the rooms.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 25 May 2009

My husband and I stayed at Glenside recently. We were meeting friends who live nearby.

The hotel was very busy when we got there, but we found a parking space. Check-in was swift and efficient.

Room was very dated, double bed and not the most comfortable, mattress dipped both people into middle of bed!

Bathroom very small, tiled with dark tiles, sink had large crack in it. Bathroom was clean and had everythign we needed, I just didn't like it!

There was a high window at the door and this left in light until the light in the corridor was turned off - this was terribly annoying!

We had got a very good rate at this hotel and the room was clean and functional.

We had lunch in the bar, food was very good. Had lasagne which was great, served iwth veg and potato which I thought strange, but the veg was fantastic, didn't eat the potato as had too much else! Spent most of the evening in the bar and the staff were excellent.

Went out for dinner and when came back had another drink in bar - night staff were brilliant - party on at hotel, but completely unintrusive.

Breakfast next mornign I found disappointing. Food was good, but no option on eggs - I hate fried eggs! Service was slow, presentation on plate poor. On the other hadn, the toast was lovely - obviously freshly made, tea was piping hot. By the way, we were late down, just caught end of service.

We didn't have dinner at the hotel, but our friends eat there regularly and rave about it.

The other problem we had was there was a problem with the water while we were there. Originally, it was supposed to only affect the public areas and only for an hour or so. Still that way 3 hours later and bedrooms also affected. The staff were very good and courteous about it, and I do believe that the bedrooms were okay at the start of the problem, but it spread throughout.

Would I go back there? Probably not to stay. But food and ambience in bar were top-notch, as were staff. I think I'd rather pay a little more for a room and have bigger, more comfortable bed and a brighter more modern bathroom.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2008

First impressions of the hotel were good, easy to find with plenty of parking.
The check in procedure was fast and efficient with no drama.
On first entering the room it smelt slightly damp and musty but nothing offensive. The bathroon was well tiled but showing some signs of wear and tear again nothing too bad.
The bedroom was failry large and contained a double and single bed. Unfortunately the cover on the single bed was covered in food debris and stains so I would suggest more attention to detail is required.
My evening meal in the restaurant was very nice with good service.
I opted for a light breakfast of fruit and toast which was again was good.
Overall I enjoyed my stay at the Glenside and would stay again the next time I am in the area.

• Liked — Good location and resaurant
  • Disliked — Food and stains on the bed cover
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Q-the-Review
Ontario
Reviewed 23 January 2008

Glenside was one of the few spots on the Dublin-Drogheda road visibly open after dark in January, and were glad to find it and land in there. At €110 for a double room with breakfast in January we found it more expensive than better places we stayed at all the way from Derry to Kerry.
The rooms are a bit worn and dated, but acceptable. The food and service in the restaurant was very good for both dinner and breakfast.
My big complaint is that on checkout the Glenside automatically converted my bill on the VISA receipt from euros to Canadian dollars at the prevailing exchange rate plus 3.5%. VISA would have charged me only 2% if I had paid in euros. This practice, I have since learned, is called "dynamic currency conversion" (Google it). Somebody is making money from it at the expense of unwary tourists. Watch out for this DCC thing--not all hotels do it in Ireland, and none that I've encountered in either Northern Ireland or France. Next time I would challenge the practice (you are supposed to be given the choice and I was not). Insist on paying in euros.
This iniquitous practice, which I was duped by at three of five hotels I stayed at in Ireland, is one of those things where they claim to be serving you better by charging you more. (There's now a Tripadvisor Ireland forum on it under the title "Credit card: Dollars or Euros?")

• Stayed January 2008
3 Thank wjames5
Dublin
Reviewed 10 May 2007

I was at a wedding in this hotel in April. It was a beautiful day and the drinks reception was outside where there is a large garden which is really nice. Good standard of room, nice clean, good shower. The food at the meal was excellent and everyone commented on it. Would highly recommend this hotel particularly for weddings as you are the only party there and basically had the hotel to ourselves other than the restaurant which looked really nice and modern. The hotel is just past Julianstown on your way to Drogheda only about 20mins drive from Swords/Airport.

• Stayed April 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Simplero
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drogheda
Westcourt Hotel
CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
#1 of 3 in Ashbourne

Been to Glenside Hotel? Share your experiences!