“Lovely weekend” 4 of 5 bubbles

Seasons
Price range: US$5 - US$28
Cuisines: Irish, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Newbridge, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

My partner and I were spending weekend in Castlebar, first time there so did not really know where nice places to eat were. We went for a walk in the evening looking for a place we could eat in. We spotted Seasons @ Mulroy's and decided to give it a try. We had the day's specials, tomato and basil soup and slow roast pork belly with mediterannean ragout. The food was nice overall, the pork belly was cooked in a bit too high temperature and a bit too short, so it was little dry and chewy, but the seasoning was nice, I liked the hint of star anisse in it. The ragout was nice but what absolutely stole my heart were the beetroots cooked in red wine with cloves. The tomato soup would have been much better if the tomato seeds were not in it - canned tomatoes were used, which is good in general, as the fresh tomatoes you can buy in this country lack flavour ;) Anyway, we liked the food and the staff so much, that we decided to return the following day.This time my partner went for breast of duck in red wine (I presume it was Madeira) and cherry jus and I chose pan seared cod. The jus for the duck was so wonderful that I could have eaten it all on its own (I must admit, I stole all the cherries from my partner's plate). The breast was nicely cooked, the only problem I had with it was the skin that was not crispy on top. Anyway, again, a piece of duck landed on my plate as I was so tempted by the look of it. When it comes to pan seared cod... OMG!!! The first time in months did I have a piece of fish that was not killed twice. Absolutely perfect, moist, juicy, not overcooked - my compliments to the chef. What can I say... If I ever find myself in Castlebar again, I will definitely return to Seasons. And if you haven't been there yet - go! It's definitely worth it :)

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KittyKandy

Galway, Ireland
“A well kept secret”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

We meet up with Family in Castlebar every year and were disappointed to hear that our usual haunt had closed. (Dont know why) . Our family suggested Seasons but hadn't heard much about it themselves so we booked a table with fingers crossed. The town was quite and when we entered for dinner we realized that everybody was really in here! It was packed! Fortunately as often happens the service didnt suffer. Our hosts explained the place was two tier with a bar downstairs so it was nice to order proper pints to the table ( bottles are too formal for this diner) The menu is quite Modern but simple however the girl pointed out some exquisite specials on the not so readable blackboard. As a lamb man lamb 3 ways needed no decision. The missus had the mossaka and steaks for our hosts. A couple of different breads came out with no holding back with a large full bowl nicey baked and fresh. The grub was second to none! 3 cuts of lamb ( the names which escape me) succulent steaks with crunchy onion rings. Veg is not your typical with ratatouille and the like which is a nice change. Mash garlic potatoes and chips completed an almost banquet style dinner. Almost too much if I'm to pick any fault . Ambiance wise the place is buzzing with a nice bit of craic coming from the surrounding tables give the place a relaxed feel . Obviously this place is a secret the locals keep for themselves as even our hosts pointed out their own lack of knowledge of the place. Desserts were worth the visit themselves. Proper portions here and a nice pleasant selection. A banoffie like a frozen swiss role was fab ( One each to suit us all). We finished with a few rounds in the bar downstairs which is nice and quaint but maybe lacking a bit of the atmosphere of the restaurant which is located upstairs. ( Bit of music maybe to get the night going. Less of the television) Will surely be back for our Christmas visit when in town for grub and pints and hopefully a bit of music this time!!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Western Ireland, Ireland
“gem!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

It is so nice to find a good restaurant in castlebar without having to drive as far as westport for quality food!! I had the mushroom and bacon encroute to start and it was delicious- soo tasty. My partner had the chowder and really enjoyed it!!for mains I had the mediterranean seafood tagliatelle- the portions of scallops, mussels and prawns were very generous ,the tomato sauce was a little bland was missing some garlic and chilli perhaps!!but overall was a nice dish .My partner had the duck breast he had no complaints and enjoyed it. we couldn't resist dessert so I had the meringue with ice-cream, fruit and coulis and my partner had the baked rasberry cheesecake- delicious!!The atmosphere in the restaurant is relaxing and there was no rushing to get us out so it was a very pleasant experience!the presentation and quality of the food is on par with the finest restaurants in westport except for the price- alot cheaper!!for two starters, two mains, two desserts and two soft drinks the bill came to around 62.50 what a steal!!cant wait to go back!!

• Visited May 2013
Cork, Ireland
“Lovely restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

I ate in Seasons with a friend over the May bank holiday weekend and I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone. Given the weekend that was in it we couldn't get a table on the Saturday night as they were so busy (a good sign for any restaurant) but managed to get a reservation for the Sunday.
The staff at the restaurant were very friendly and helpful, the food beautiful with a great selection on the menu, good portion sizes and everything was reasonably priced. The restaurant had a Baileys parfait dessert special on during our visit and it was one of the nicest desserts I've had in quite a while - if it's on the menu when you visit, choose it!!!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank serena047
None of anyones business
“Bar Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

We ate Seasons in the pub - the cod goujons were delicious but the chips luke warm. Large portions! The vegetable stir fry was gorgeous!

Visited May 2013