“Very friendly hotel.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Castlebar
The Welcome Inn Hotel
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Castlebar
London, United Kingdom
“Very friendly hotel.”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights and very happy with the accommodation and food. Room large and clean. All staff I met were very helpful and friendly. Close to shops and restaurants in small friendly town.
Can be a little noisy when hosting a late night function.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Keith M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
Dublin
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We didn't stay here but had food and drinks in the bar. It was the Castlebar walking festival weekend. The bar food was good,and reasonably priced, but the drinks were quite expensive ... equivalent to Dublin prices.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed here last weekend with a large group of dancers as part of the World Championships 2014 and we had an amazing time. Not only in Castlebar one of the friendliest towns I have ever been in but the staff in this hotel could not do enough for us. The rooms are great value for money, yes they could do with a bit of an upgrade but that didn't bother us in the slightest once we experienced the kindness and hospitality of this family run hotel. We stayed here for 3/4 nights and we have already booked our rooms for next year.

When we first arrived we had to run off to the competition. We didn't arrive back until late and the food in the hotel had stopped so we went and got a quick take away. At this point the staff had brought us into a private room, provided us with plates, cutlery and napkins....we couldn't believe it! The following morning we were approached by Anne, the hotel owner. She told us that when we arrived back from the competition that she would have a room reserved for us to eat and celebrate and to "sing until the cows come home". This outstanding hospitality continued throughout our entire trip. On the Saturday night, the pub was turned into a nightclub (we were advised about this upon booking) and it was quite noisy. We were up chatting for the majority of the night so it didn't bother us too much and when it came to going to bed we were approached by a lovely woman and asked which of us were competing the following day, she then proceeded to give each of the dancers a set of ear plugs so we could get some undisturbed rest. But wait....THERE'S MORE!!

When we were checking out yesterday morning, Anne asked us what time we were planning on leaving at. Keen to soak up as much Castlebar as possible we decided not to leave until about 1pm. To our amazement, we were told that there would be a spread of soup and sandwiches laid out for us to have before we left for the 3.5 hour journey. We were genuinely lost for words to describe how kind and hospitable the staff are in this hotel. I do not have one bad word to say about it. I cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: All rooms will be subject to noise from the nightclub below. Simply ask for earplugs and you will be...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Aisling K
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 June 2014

All of the glowing reviews of this place seem to be written suspiciously similarly. Anyway,

The hotel looked nice from the outside. Lots of character. The receptionist was pleasant and full of information. Unfortunately that was the end of the good impressions. We must have met the last staff member in the place who cares about her job. Not a single smile or 'hello' or 'good morning' to share between the rest of them.

We walked up the stairs (no lift. really?) and got to our horribly dated looking room. We went to unpack and the wardrobe door came off its hinges. The tray with the kettle, tea etc. was comically warped. I guess from the iron which left its mark in the middle of the tray. Plastic spoons (which melt with heat) were provided to stir the tea and coffee which is made with boiling water. That was our first 5 minutes.

We went to have showers to find the shower curtain disgustingly covered with mould. The bedsheets were stained. The tv didn't work properly. And despite being in the 'quiet' part of the hotel on the Saturday when the nightclub was open I felt like requesting a song from the DJ. If its keeping me up I may as well enjoy it eh?

I wouldn't stay here again if I was paid. I can honestly say it's the worst Hotel experience I've had in Ireland or abroad. If you're thinking of staying here I'd definitely recommend you reconsider. I hear there are some rooms going cheap in Syria this time of year.

Room Tip: Pick a room in a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Alby_ie

Travellers are raving about these Castlebar hotels

galway
Reviewed 19 June 2014

There is nothing good at all about this hotel, the rooms were dirty and badly need updating, the main doors didn't lock properly into the room the bathroom door wouldn't even shut. Almost got my head taking off me the next morning when I went down to the bar & reception to ask for a jug off water by the (manger I think), what a rude person he was!! the price wasn't that cheap either think it was €60 per person not including breakfast for a Sunday night. overall this hotel has a very cold atmosphere about it, in bad need of improvements in all areas including customer service.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank galwaygirln
Tullamore, Ireland
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed there the 27th of May this year, for one night, while in the area on business. The location of the hotel is good, being in close proximity to the town centre.
The first thing that worried me when I had checked in was the security of the room itself. I was surprised in 2014 to be handed a key and not a swipe card. The lock on the bedroom door was a little dodgy to say the least...Worrying as I had valuables in tow...

Had a bite to eat in the bar. I went for the beef burger with chips, but had to order an extra portion of chips due to the small amount I received. Good value for what I got, as I wasn't charged for the extra chips.
That same night I was informed there was a "non-alcoholic end of transition year disco" taking place in the function room, which was conveniently located under room no. 28 where I was staying...
The barman assured me it would be a 'quiet affair as there was no drink being served'. What he failed to realise was that these teenagers were scaling the back door entrance and buying alcohol down town, then scaling the doors again to regain entry...From the racket outside the room window I could gather that some kids had been expelled out the front door, had come around and were ringing their friends to open the large gates at the back to let them back in again...
This went on until 1am!!

Breakfast was average, served with a pot of lukewarm tea by a waitress who's reply to all the guests' requests was a bored-sounding "no bodder"...

Will be looking for alternative accommodation when I'm in the area again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank mossiefitz
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel as I travelled from England that morning I was meeting friends it has been the most appalling place I have stayed in my 35 years as the residence bar does not provide a smoking area all you can smell upstairs is cigarette smoke the door staff are extremely rude and I think they forget they are door security not prison officers one incident were what can only be described was as the female security shouting in my friends face when she asked were the bathroom was,the door in my bedroom would not close properly and you could not see out the windows it was so dirty! The food was not great but presented well it was also cold! On checking out there was no manager available to complain i was 15 minutes waiting at reception to check out overall my experience was shocking..

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank Lauraba35
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castlebar
Harlequin Hotel Castlebar
#3 of 17 in Castlebar
Kenny's Guesthouse
Kenny's Guesthouse
#2 of 17 in Castlebar

Been to The Welcome Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!