“Simply the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Welcome Inn Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Castlebar
The Welcome Inn Hotel
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Castlebar
Dublin, Ireland
“Simply the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2007

It’s difficult to know where to start with the Welcome Inn, the whole place is noisy, the rooms are dirty and smelly, the night staff are rude and distrustful and the breakfast is served in a dirty function room (with instant coffee).

The rooms in the Welcome Inn smell of cigarette smoke, I stayed there as part of a group of 14 and it wasn’t just our room that stank of it, all of them did. The nightclub and function room sounds can be heard very late into the night, when you do eventually get to sleep you will be awoken early to the sounds of the bar staff sorting out their empty bottles right outside your window at 8am. The walls of the rooms are paper thin and conversations can be clearly heard from the room next door. The beds are soft and clearly years past their prime, the bedclothes have the smell of smoke in grained in them too. The bathrooms are extremely basic and in our case I am pretty sure that at least one of the towels was left over from another guests stay, it was dirty and stained.

We went out 1 night to a club around the corner and when coming back at about 1:30 am had huge difficulties getting back into the hotel. The main door was locked and when we rang the bell an extremely rude doorman questioned whether or not we were actually staying there, to the point of closing the door in our face while we waited in the rain for him to consult his clipboard. Over breakfast the next morning we discovered that all of our party had similar experiences getting back into the hotel that night, with one couple reporting that the doorman actually pushed the woman away from the door. This is simply inexcusable behaviour from the hospitality industry.

I have stayed in hotels of all standards from 5* to 20 bed dorms in a hostel and the Welcome Inn is by far and away the least value for money I have ever experienced. It has no redeeming features at all. Usually a place of this poor standard would at least have the redemption of being cheap, but at EUR120 for a room it is not cheap for the standard. Excuses from the management of ‘what do you expect for 2*’ simply do not excuse these poor standards.

Avoid the Welcome Inn at all costs.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank bren2002

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2007

I stayed in this hotel Saturday 3rd March 07. I was with a party (i was not drinking alcohol) and I got to see more than my own room. There was no lift. The corridors to the rooms were dirty, walls were filthy, floor was dirty and unstable; ie could easily trip. Room was horrible; terrible decor, dirty carpet, dirty walls. Didnt feel comfortable or clean in the room. sink had stains. bed uncomfortable.
no view. could hear everything outside my room-had a terrible sleep. walls paper thin. the other rooms on our party were much the same. However, I was the only one who voiced my complaint. I have stayed in all other hotels in Castlebar; all fine. Even though this is a 2 star, it is absolutley no excuse for unhygienic conditions. didnt even fell like eating the breakfast as dining room was not clean. and if rest of hotel is anything to go by, i hate to think what the kitchen is like. the next morning i noticed a green stain on the carpet beside my bed; looked like very old vomit; I nearly got sick, so I decided to complain as this topped it all off for me. I expressed my dissatisfaction. I was told that they are only a 2 star. And i said that is no excuse and that I have stayed in top class hostels that are spotless and they do not even have a star rating. i would never stay in this hotel again and never recommend it. I have never written a review before, but on this particular occassion I feel really strongly about the poor state of this hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed March 2007
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank traveller'svoice

Travellers are raving about these Castlebar hotels

Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2006

On arrival we were handed a key and pointed in the general direction of where the room may or may not be...The bar was so overcrowded by a funeral there there wasn't even a chance of a quiet drink before departure. The room we were given (we eventually found), Where should i start... If the carpet reached the walls on all sides it would have been good. The beds seemed to be made up of saw dust of some such like complete with the assosciated aches and itches, The view contained a roof and some stainless steel exhaust flues and reeked of fast food. On return to the it became the not so welcome inn, as the security refused to believe that we had actually travelled half way across the country to stay in the paticular hotel. Finally after discussing the matter for about half an hour in the c. 0 degree temperatures. Now as you can probably imagine after spending that amount of time in the cold trying to gain access to our hotel, a stiff drink would be in order to warm the body, and in keeping, we duely informed that the residents bar closes at the same time as the niteclub on a saturday night! A warning to all prospective travellers Recommend it only to those guilty of a terrible crime.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Read the review
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid until 2030
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled on business
3 Thank GoodGrief13
limerick
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2006

We stayed the bank holiday weekend for a night due to attending a wedding. I have to say it is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in…… the only good points of the hotel was the bar, the food served at the afters of the wedding and some of the staff . On arrival reception stated that we had been booked in for the previous day despite the fact we had contacted the hotel twice to confirm our booking.
Once we got to our room we were greeted by shabby decorate, a bathroom that dated back to the early seventies with plumbing to match!! One could get excited at the sight of the corner shaped whirl pool bath but don’t hold your breath as they do not work (we enquired with the other guests). The sleeping area didn’t fair out much better as walls are paper thin and mattress too, thus we didn’t sleep very well. The rooms are badly equipped as they have no hairdryer, no irons and a tiny television. Car parking consists of sharing space in the local Super Value supermarket (which was the view from the room). Overall at a €120 a night this hotel is overpriced, grotty, outdated and in our opinion better hotels available locally.

• Liked — bar
  • Disliked — bedrooms
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank irishrailers
Portlaoise, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2006

My husband & I along with another couple stayed for 2 nights in the Welcome Inn In Castlebar at the weekend.
The hotel from the outside looked quite nice and the bars were nice too but the rooms were another story. Firstly the walls were paper thin, you could hear everything going on in the next room. The beds should have been out on the skip, unless you like to sleep on a mattress where the springs are just popping out all over it. There is a nite club in the hotel so you can hear that from the rooms too. Unfortunately for us we had 2 bad nights sleep. I won't be staying there again.
To top it all off, when we got up on Saturday to have a shower, there was no water all over the hotel and they couldn't get a plumber. What more can i say?

8 Thank 888888888
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castlebar
Harlequin Hotel Castlebar
#1 of 9 in Ballina
Carragh House
Carragh House
#5 of 17 in Castlebar

Been to The Welcome Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!