“4 star rating”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Castlebar
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
“4 star rating”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We were in the West of Ireland in early July on a coach trip and stayed at the Harlequin,Castlebar for the four night duration.In our opinion the hotel deserves its 4 star rating. The exterior is fairly dated 60s style design,however the interior is beautifully furnished and well maintained,the rooms were likewise-large and comfortable. As we were on a bus trip the dinner menus were limited but the food was excellent,breakfast was first class. The hotel is well located on the edge of the town centre shopping area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Harlequin1, Front Office Manager at Harlequin Hotel Castlebar, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear PJJ922

Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review and we are delighted to learn that you had an enjoyable stay at The Harlequin Hotel and found it to be a 'Four Star' experience. I will definitley pass on your comments to all our departments, as we pride ourselves on receiving such excellent feedback from Guests.
Caroline

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel this weekend and I would highly recommend it to everyone. The staff were so friendly especially Roisin on Reception, I was in room 428 and it has a wonderful view also it is a smoking room!!! Breakfast was buffet and plenty of it and the staff could not do enough for me. The rooms are big and the bathroom is spotless. Parking is free just get your ticket stamped at Reception. There are loads of shops nearby, Dunnes, Tesco and Mc Donalds, great place to stay. Beautiful hotel one you should have a nice time in without a doubt, also the Theatre is attached to the hotel I think it was called the Royal. The staff really stand out at this hotel, they were wonderful and I will be back.

Room Tip: I had room 428, great view of the hills, plus if you are a smoker then this is the room for you
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Leitrim186605
Harlequin1, Front Office Manager at Harlequin Hotel Castlebar, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Leitrim186605

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Harlequin Hotel and I'm absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your lovely comments to Roisin and all the Staff. The Rooms are indeed lovely and spacious and Parking is very convenient in the adjoining Hotel Multi-storey Carpark and the hotel is perfectly located to enjoy the many Fine Shops Nearby. We hope to welcome you back to The Harlequin Hotel in the near future.
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Was attending a four day course for work with two colleagues. Have not got a bad word to say about our stay. From breakfast and lunch to the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, the rooms and the facilities...everything was perfect. Free car parking for guests, two lifts, uber comfy bed, good proximity to shops and town center. One small thing is that the bar doesn't stock Bulmers Light but then not every where does! Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank fifi-ken
Dear Fifi-ken

Thank you for your lovely review and you are more than welcome back at any time. I will be delighted to pass on your lovely comments to all the staff, as we pride ourselves on great Customer Service and attention to detail. We look forward to welcoming you back to Castlebar in the Near Future.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This hotel could be much better with even a little more attention to detail. The decor is imaginative and tasteful and the place is generally well laid out. Although it must be said the dining area seems a little small for a hotel of this scale. The building is situated in a quiet part of Castlebar town and has its own multi-story car park. This could be better sign-posted however and potential clients need to be better forewarned otherwise the approach by car can be a little daunting.

The front of house staff were very welcoming, courteous and most helpful even if I did have to walk a long distance on three occasions as my room key refused to work three times in a row.

Dinner was a somewhat hit and miss. There were ten people in our party and it was 45 minutes before we were served the first course. After that the service was slow but almost adequate. I had the scallops as a starter and that was really very good. However I found the main course of battered cod unappetising and I did not finish my meal. I found it odd that there was only one service door to and from the kitchen which sometimes resulted in a bottleneck. I wonder what the thinking is here as there are usually two for obvious reasons.

I found the air conditioning in the hotel to be a little too warm for comfort overall but I was lucky that I could open my windows at night. What was not so good was that I was awoken by a noisy diesel engine of a tour bus warming up at 7:45 am which sounded even louder parked where it was a large reverberant courtyard to the back of the hotel. I was not able to get back to sleep.

One redeeming feature was that there was no piped music at all in the hotel which was a real blessing.

However, breakfast was a real disaster and by far the worst experience I have had in quite a long time. Where do I start?

It was the customary standard hotel buffet with the usual rather tasteless juices from cartons, cereals, some croissants and some yoghurt. There was no pancake or fish alternative on the menu. Food from the so-called hot buffet was cold by the time it got to the table. The fried bacon was practically inedible it was so tough: the puddings were hard on the outside and the fried egg was ludicrously overdone. I asked the waitress for a lightly fried egg which had not arrived by the time I left. The coffee was feeble which is probably the best that can be said about it. There was no attempt to clear the dishes that had accumulated during the meal at any point. This is simply not acceptable and many Irish people just accept this as being the norm. It most certainly is not the norm and it is time that this form of sad presentation was removed from the Irish hospitality scene. It is the most common complaint that I hear from visitors to our fair Isle. There was also a slight but constant odour of stale fat in the restaurant and reception areas which was little off-putting.

I appreciate that the hotel is currently in receivership but this does not excuse the many shortcomings. I will not be back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Gretry
Harlequin1, Front Office Manager at Harlequin Hotel Castlebar, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Gretry

Firstly, I would like to apologise for all the discomfort that you had regarding your recent stay at the Harlequin Hotel, and I am extremely disappointed to learn of the different negative experiences throughout your stay. I would be delighted to talk to you regarding same, if you wish to contact the hotel, as we pride ourselves on our Customer Services, attention to detail and our Cuisine, but on this occassion, failed you. We are in process of upscaling many aspects of the hotel including Breakfast, as we are no longer in Receivership since the End of May and would like to have an opportunity to welcome you back to repair the tarnished opinion that you have of the Hotel.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is was my second stay at The Harlequin. The first was great, but the second was exceptional. I was in Castlebar for a wedding on a Saturday and stayed there on the Friday night. On check-in I was greeted by the very friendly reception staff, quick and efficient. They're obviously well trained. The room are a great size and very clean and comfortable, the beds exceptionally so. Off I went into town with the wedding crew only to return drunk and hungry. Not a problem in this particular hotel. The night porter went completely out of his way and made myself and my friend a feast of what can only be described as amazing sandwiches with a dressed salad and crisps and a cup of coffee to sober us up, cheers Fergus your a legend. Overall this is one of the best places I've ever stayed and couldn't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank James C
Dear James C

Thank you for taking the time to review your Second stay at the Harlequin Hotel and I'm delighted that you enjoyed this stay as much as the First. I will pass on your lovely comments to all the Staff, especially Fergus, who will all be delighted wtih your Feedback. The Rooms are indeed a good size and the beds are extremely comfortable designed with a good nights sleep in mind. We hope to welcome you back to Castlebar for a Third Stay and once again Thank you for your lovely Review.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stay here on business frequently. Lovely modern hotel. Staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms clean and comfortable. Really nice food. Easy parking and all covered which is great when it rains. Would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Harlequin1, Front Office Manager at Harlequin Hotel Castlebar, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Laura D

Thank you for taking the time to review your numerous stays at the Harlequin Hotel, as it’s always lovely to hear feedback from one of our Regular Guests. I’m delighted that you enjoy your stay each time and find the Hotel very comfortable and the Staff to be friendly and helpful, as we try to endeavour that each guest feels at home, away from home. We look forward to welcoming you back again, Laura D, in the near future.

Berlin
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We have spent two nights in the Harlequin Hotel. We had booked a double room with 18sqm. We got the room cards in the reception, however, they didn´t work for the room. We had to go down to the reception again, they were changed, but without apology. This time they were working and we ended up in an 18sqm room with a small double and a single bed and only one armchair instead of two what we had booked. Also, the furnitures were damaged and the carpet had numerous stains. We complained at the reception and they discussed a lot with us, finally gave us a room which corresponded to the room we had booked (double and 18sqm). However, they wanted to charge us with 15€ per night in addition for that as that would be a deluxe room, not a standard double as we had booked.
At checkout, they tried to charge 9€ more than what our reservation said.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank traveller5638
Dear Traveller5638, Berlin.
Firstly I would like to begin by offering my sincere apologies for the discomfort you experienced on your recent stay with us at The Harlequin Hotel. It was not our intention to cause you any distress or annoyance during your stay. Once we were aware that you required a room with a just a Double bed in the room, and as we had only very limited availability left on the night in question, we did upgrade you to a deluxe room as it is more spacious and had a Queen Size Bed without any additional Charge. On rare occasions, the keycard does not work when entering you room, and while this was rectified, I apologise that you did not receive an apology from reception for the inconvenience of having to return to Reception to get it re-cut. We hope to welcome you back to the Harlequin Hotel in the future, as we would endeavor to welcome you back so we may attempt to repair your tarnished opinion of the hotel.

Caroline
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castlebar
Breaffy Woods Hotel
Westport Country Lodge Hotel
McWilliam Park Hotel
McWilliam Park Hotel
#1 of 3 in Claremorris

Been to Harlequin Hotel Castlebar? Share your experiences!