“The most friendly and welcoming b&b I've ever stayed in.”
Review of Windermere House

Windermere House
Ranked #5 of 17 Castlebar B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 February 2014

There is nothing missing from this b&b. Kay is the most friendly and welcoming person I've met, the rooms were a good size and always clean. The location was great and you definitely won't go hungry at breakfast time! Kay treated us as I imagine she would her family, gave us ideas of where to go and visit and even gave us a lift into the town for an evening out! Brilliant place.

• Stayed: February 2014

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Best b&b I've ever stayed in. Hostess with the mostess. Comfortable clean friendly what more do you need. A delightful warm and welcoming stay. I personally would recommend this b&b very highly for short or long stay. There is always a cup of tea even a home made scone on arrival which is very seldom got these days. Its homely and Kay herself is one of the nicest ladies ever too great you at the door. Just fabulous.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank r0mc
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Stayed here in July 13, the lady is very friendly and welcoming. On arrival we got lovely tea and scones which we were glad of after a 4hr drive. Rooms are clean, well-kept and comfortable for staying in. Usual Irish breakfast was lovely and Kay make sure everyone was well catered for. Guest house is located few mile outside Castlebar on the Westport Rd not too far from either of the towns. Had a pleasant stay, would recommend this guesthouse to anyone wishing to stay in the Castlebar/Westport area.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lizzie0191
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We spent 2 nights at Windermere House as part of a 2 week driving tour of Ireland, staying almost exclusively at Bed & Breakfast establishments that we researched ourselves (including, naturally enough, TripAdvisor).
Kay provided us with the warmest welcomes ever and some excellent scones, with tea/coffee, on arrival. The house is full of mementos of her own travels, and we had fun discussing destinations, our respective children, the lives and times of owning a B&B, and her certificate of excellence from TripAdvisor which was on display. This is her home - not just a business - and we were made to feel welcome in Kay's home.
Our bedroom was large as these things go - larger than a number we stayed in, with an extra single bed and plenty of room for suitcases, etc. It was at the front of the house, facing the relatively busy road, but honestly, the traffic didn't disturb us either night. WiFi - fast and strong - was available for free in the room (the router was right outside). Coffee/tea making was in the room too (if you needed it! - Kay gave us afternoon tea both evenings). Cash only, but that was the rule more than the exception at Irish B&Bs, we found.
The ensuite bathroom and shower were a little small, but again that wasn't unusual, and in older buildings with personality - which we tend to seek out - you have to retro fit with what space you have.
There's plenty of off-street car parking, and we had no trouble finding it on the Castlebar/Westport Road - it's closer to Castlebar than Westport and there is a big sign on the road (see my photo). It's a little out of town, but no big deal - we ate one night in Castlebar and one night in Westport. The pub in Castlebar was okay (burgers), but the restaurant in Westport (Quay Cottage) was very good and I have ended up writing a review on TripAdvisor for that restaurant, too.
Breakfast was terrific with plenty of hot and cold choice and always the offer of more. Kay even put a little koala and kangaroo salt and pepper shaker set on our table (we're from Australia).
This was a very good B&B with all that you could really want, but what elevates it to "excellent" status is it's hostess, Kay - one of the nicest people you could ever meet.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank seagullrob
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Stayed here on Sunday 19/05/2013. On arrival I received a very warm, smiling welcome and within five minutes was enjoying a very welcome pot of fresh hot tea with delicious scone and cheese & crackers, cheerfully supplied by Kay, who made me feel very welcome in the sumptuous sitting-room! My room was very clean, comfortable and luxurious and the en-suite was very modern and immaculate. Breakfast the next morning was exccellent. I have no hesitatation recommending this B&B to anyone visiting the Castlebar/Westport areas. JL (Dublin).

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Kay is a lovely, gentle person who went out of her way to ensure that I felt at home when I arrived. She welcomed me that evening with a pot of tea and scones which were enjoyed in front of a blazing turf fire. I highly recommend this top class bed and breakfast which is ideally situated 7 minutes from Castlebar and 10 minutes from Westport. The bedroom and bathroom were spotlessly clean and the bed so comfortable I could have stayed all day! Many thanks Kay!

Room Tip: I stayed in the lovely room to the front of the house.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Kay is a delightful hostess. We thoroughly enjoyed visiting with her in the late afternoon after we returned from our day’s touring in Mayo County. Unlike almost every other host we had the pleasure to stay with, Kay offered up tea and delicious scones every afternoon. Lovely! As others have commented, her home is neat and beautifully decorated. Breakfast was good; no complaints here! I wouldn't, however, define the bedrooms as spacious. Not a problem, just a comment.

Room Tip: As their home is only 100’ off the N5 highway, we suggest a room in the back in case you like to sle...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple