“Just right for our weekend stay in Quay West”
Review of Quay West

Quay West
Ranked #14 of 70 Westport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My fiance and I stayed here at the end of May 2012. It was recommended by friends of ours who stayed a few years ago and they gave use the address www.quaywestport.ie. Although it's close to the road it was quiet and peacefull. It's a large modern guest house, very clean and modern. It's literally 50m from the Westport Woods Hotel and we were able to use their swimming pool at discounted rates. The couple running the guest house were very friendly and helpful. They gave us advice on which pubs and restaurants we might like. It was under 10min walk into the town center which has an abundance of pubs, cafes and restaurants. The quay or westport harbour was about 5 min walk in the other direction and also has a few pubs and restaurants. There was free wifi in the b and b and lots of pubs around town have it as well. The breakfast was traditional and set us right for our trip back to Dublin.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have a nice view of Croagh Patrick and there is less traffic noise.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JoanMike461

Reviewed 21 May 2012

i stayed in the guesthouse for a weekend in April, I was there to visit friends but also for a relaxing break from work. i was greeted by the man of the house on arrival, who showed me around and reccommended places for me to see such as croagh patrick (although i just admired it rather than climbed it!) and the beautiful beaches all around the west coast. The house is situated right in between westport town and quay so i could leave my car parked at the house for the duration of my stay and walk wherever i wanted to go.
My Bed was so comfy i didnt want to get out but i got up and went for breakfast which was beautifully cooked by the woman of the house and afterwards i waited for my friends in the guest lounge, they also have wifi available which is very handy if you need it.
I would definitely reccommend this place again, cannot fault it in any way at all!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank michael l
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I stayed for just the one night when passing through Wesport, County Mayo. This bed and breakfast is located about a five minute walk from the quay and a fifteen minute walk from Westport town centre. The quay is a very pretty place with superb views of Croagh Patrick (a local mountain)
It was quite, clean with comfortable beds. Everything was what it should be but no more or no less. A couple of small criticisms, one is that the ensuite bathroom was tiny. I had to open the shower door to make room so I could stand in front of the sink ! And the second was that the TV was a stand which was at celing height. Not a great place to put it when the only place to watch it was lying on your bed.
I read from a previous contributor that they didn't find the proprietors very friendly well I only met the man of the house and he was extremely friendly. He made me very welcome on my arrival and served me a delicious freshly cooked breakfast the next morning. It was good value and overall a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Bob-Maria
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We found this B&B very comfortable and quiet. Mary was quite accommodating and warm. We had two glorious nights sleep on comfy beds and clean serviceable en suite bathrooms. The breakfast was well done and plentiful including the best coffee in our entire Ireland experience. The house is filled with Mary's great art pieces and delightfully decorated with her design expertise. The house is located a short walk to town or the Quay, either way. Unlike other comments in previous reviews we found Mary to be quite hospitable and were able to negotiate a price more suited to our budget. I might add that we arrived late in the day without a reservation with the house minimally occupied. And yes the rashers were wonderful. Westport is a wonderful town and our experience with David and Mary made it better. Should we return to Westport we will stay with them again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank santacruizer
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Recommended this guesthouse by a friend who travels around Ireland as part of their work. I was greeted by David on arrival who was very professional and showed me to my room. The room was very comfortable, had everthing that I needed. The first thing that struck me was the lovely exterior, flowerbeds and window boxes in immaculate condition. I was amazed at this, as I am a keen gardener myself, and after the winter we have just had my garden is not in good condition. On entering the guesthouse, everthing was spotless, from the entrance hall to the lovely guest lounge, to the bedroom and the bathroom. After an excellent sleep, breakfast the next morning was very good - more than what I should have had and at the price that I paid extremely good value. I will definitely be back the next time I am in Westport.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank tommieCork_Ireland
Reviewed 15 April 2011

We stayed for 3 nights, the welcome was second to none, the room was very comfortable and we had a great nights sleepp. Just beside the Woods Hotel, great Leisure Centre, food and drink. Breakfast was excellent, all freshly cooked and those rashers!!!!!! excellent, great choice for breakfast. Rooms were spotless, and what a lovely comfortable sitting room. Just a short walk to the harbour and into town. What more could you want. Thanks, will be back.

Sean and Mary

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sabina021
Reviewed 9 August 2008

Booked one month in advance after viewing their homepage which stated room price of €30pps. Phoned owner David directly, gave credit card details, and he confirmed when i stated total of €60. Checked in, all fine, but on departure met wife who went berserk when i stated her figure of €38pps incorrect and that website obviously needed updating. She got David, he lovely and calm, I stated I would agree to a compromise of €70 as genuine misunderstanding but he said he would honour the €60 quote. She very negetive and aggressive, and stormed off, leaving me in tears and negetive experience to end our breakaway. Keep her away from the public and keep this calm man out front!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank MrsJoxer