“A wonderful atmosphere”

Knockranny House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Westport
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Visited here a few months ago and have to say it was superb, staff were accommodating and we were delighted with the room. There are a few of the rooms that are not up to standard so don't take these.
The food was very good and of exceptional portion, all in all it was a pleasant experience and we will return again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patrick I I
Write a ReviewReviews (1,470)

Reviewed 25 August 2014

we stayed here on the August bank holiday weekend as my husband and son wanted to cycle the wild atlantic way trail to achill island. The hotel is located on the hill on the outskirts of Westport. It is a beautiful hotel but lacks car parking facilities. We stayed in the Presidential suite which was just perfect but the downside was there was a wedding on each night in the hotel and we found it impossible to get parking. We had a meal in the resaturant one night and it was just beautiful. The breakfast was lovely too. The only downside to this hotel is that if you are on foot and want to get into westport you would need to get a taxi or its about a 20 minute walk.(or 10 euro in a taxi). Westport is a beautiful town and a great part of the country. Croagh Patrick provides beautiful scenery. The only reason I would not stay in this hotel again is that the staff dont seem friendly, or maybe they are just not happy in their work...and the difficulty to get parking.... but overall it is a beautiful hotel with a beautiful restaurant.

Room Tip: upgrade to a deluxe room if available Request a room well away from the function room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank april_jac
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We had a family wedding here yesterday (Denise and Daragh).I can honestly say that from the start to the end we had an absolutely fantastic day.The staff were amazing,the food sublime.Nothing was too much trouble and I left Knockranny a very happy customer.The accommodation
was super and rooms a very generous size.Overall a lovely experience and will definitely return.Well done .

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Paul R
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I booked the Knockranny House Hotel on a whim as it came in at one of the cheapest at the time I was booking. Due to the occasion, we upgraded to the Tower Suite. Best decision I could have made. The pictures do not do this hotel justice and the room we got was huge.

It had a sunken lounge which acted as somewhat of a conservatory when the sun hits it. And due to its location, that's most of the day. Our room was on the ground floor but if your got a tower suite on a higher floor you will have quite possibly one of the best views in Westport for looking at the scenery and Croagh Patrick.

The hotel itself is superb. It's staff are fantastic and nothing is too much or too little for them to help make your stay better. I only had breakfast there in terms of food. But it tasted great and you could have a cereal buffet if you wanted. Nt at any stage do you feel the need to rush your food and this was one of the most relaxing parts of the stay.

I already know I am going to be staying here again and would happily recommend it to anyone visiting Westport in hue he future.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luke C
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Westport is a great place and I will return. I will not return to this hotel however. Despite the lovely view from the bar, the hotel is dated and the service of staff is poor. We had a number of issues. Firstly our room was not acceptable for the price we were paying, I raised this issue and was shown 2 further rooms which all had the same issues. When we were eventually provided with a form of satisfactory room, I noticed the cleaning team had not done there job and left rubbish behind in the room from previous guests. We had lunch there and whilst the food was good, it was slow arriving and service was very poor - I had to go to the bar to re-order drinks, a theme that repeated itself whenever we visited the bar (despite staff being on the floor)! Breakfast was very poor, both food and service. On two mornings I was waiting for tea to be provided and had to ask a number of times for tea despite placing my order. The last day was a joke, I understand it being peak season but we waited for over 40 for our breakfast to arrive - we were not unique. We ordered ketchup that morning and one of the other guests gave us some unused ketchup they had telling me "you will be waiting hours for anything you ask for, we ordered ketchup and toast and both came after we finished our breakfast". Management really need to step in this hotel and either (I) train staff appropriately or (II) hire more staff - I suspect a bit of both. To be fair when we did raise some issues the acting manager was very understanding, apologetic and did his best to make up for the issues. However the issues we encountered on day one/ check in continued through to day three. We will return to Westport but not this hotel.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bookieboy
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights in July and had a wonderful stay. Everthing from the initial check in onwards was excellent. Breakfasts were lovely and the evening meals, which we had, were really good. There was a good variety to choose from each night. It is good to see the restaurant also serve half bottles of wine at reasonable prices.

A wonderful stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PC-Dublin18
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and I spent a 2 night break in Knockranny House Hotel in April 2014. The timing was not great as the hotel were doing some decorating and as far as we saw the original part of the hotel was the area being worked on. Our bedroom was very well laid out but there was no view from the bedroom window despite the hotel being in an elevated site and Croagh Patrick was very visible from the hotel site. That aspect was a little disappointing. The food was excellent, the staff were very friendly and accommodating and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. We walked on the greenway adjacent to the hotel on both days we were there in brilliant sunshine which was an added bonus. I would recommond this hotel to any travellers wanting a relaxing and peaceful holiday. Im sure that the decorating has now been completed and that the hotel is 100%.

Room Tip: Room looking out over Clew Bay
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple