Clew Bay Hotel
The Wyatt Hotel(Westport)
Hotel Westport(Westport)
Harbour Mill(Westport)
1,153 results
All reviewsclew baymaddens bistroleisure centre next doorpublic car parkgreat hotelper daycentre of towncentral locationdouble bedwould stay againone night stayvery pleasant staytwo nightsroom was spaciousfamily roomfull irishwould highly recommend this hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Really enjoyed our stay. Staff very friendly. Catering staff very helpful and could not do enough for you. Room very clean and comfortable. Very convenient locations for all amenities within the town.

1  Thank jpmcmahon18
Reviewed 24 August 2012

very nice hotel with nice food..the waiting staff both in maddens bistro and the restaurant were extremely friendly, However, i found the receptionist to be quiet rude but other than that it was a great stay for a short break..lovely leisure centre nearby which guests can use. It said it was free but we were charged five euro at reception which i thought we would get back but didnt.

1  Thank sweetamer2012
Clewbayhotel, Guest Relations Manager at Clew Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

Dear sweetamer2012,

Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel.

However we were sorry to read that you were not able to receive your 5 Euro deposit back following your trip to the Westport Leisure Park. The use of the leisure facilities at the leisure park are free for all guests. A 5 Euro returnable deposit is charged for the loan of the entrance key card to the facility and towels. If you would be so kind as to contact the hotel, we will arrange for reimbursement of your deposit. Apologies once again, And we look forward to your return to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

Stayed with family for 2 nights fantastic hotel. Food absolutely delicious and the staff were very friendly and very helpful. The staff are a credit to the hotel and the location of the hotel was perfect central to everything. We will definitely be returning to Westport and be staying in the Clew Bay. The room was excellent and the breakfast was top class as was the food in Maddens . Great hotel defo be back in the near future

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Alan F
Reviewed 21 August 2012

My brother had stayed in the Clew Bay hotel at the end of June for the Westport Music Festival, so we booked it for a week in August and it was better than expected.

The main reason? Staff and Owners. Performance above and beyond he call of duty, but without any fuss, it just seems to be what they do!

Westport itself had surprised us during the festival, the people are so warm and inviting, the beer is the cheapest I have encountered in Ireland, but it really is Ireland of the welcomes. I live in Dublin, courtesy on the roads is non existent, but in Westport there are no traffic lights or even pedestrian crossings, just some ramps where people cross. And what happens, even Dublin drivers are waving across pedestrians and letting cars out of side roads! Back to the hotel.

You come in from Dublin on a one way system, right at the clock and tight again at the Octagon as you come down the hill, you see the tourist office on the left, pull in the side of Maddens Bar (part of the hotel) and park in there. You can park on the street for an hour, 30 minutes in some places, but in here, the hotel will give you a pass to the following lunchtime (1230). You don't have to pay after 7 or on Sundays. The car park usually costs 70c for the first hour and 30c thereafter. The cinema and leisure centre are accessed form this car park.

I liked that the greeting was warm, but there seem to be a lot of family involved, so they are well trained/ingrained! They reviewed the price I had agreed by email. There were two lifts, one had a couple of steps up to the level of our floor, the other was on the level. A winding corridor brought us to the room and I loved it.

Again, it is the staff that make the difference. The hotel is in great condition, but every member of staff is efficient, warm and welcoming, nothing is too much trouble! Next morning, I went out to the car to move it off street into the car park, but I had left the lights on, batter flat. No bother "I got Darren jump leads for Christmas) said owner Maria. Then the heavens opened, so we left it to later, because they rang the traffic warden to explain!!! Where else would this happen? At the same time, the tourist office let my wife write a note for the car, sure it'll be grand! So we went about our day, came back after lunch to move the car, Darren out, but jump leads in reception, Maria positions herself in the rain in the car park to jump start, because there was (relatively) a lot of traffic and we would block the road. So her son, stopped the traffic and two lads from the kitchen pushed (one had said he saw the lights on the night before, so I told him he was definitely pushing for not checking with reception was it a guest-all good humoured). But when they pushed the car, I slipped it into second gear and it started..... but no one told Maria, who waited patiently in the car park and we were half way to Achill, oops, sorry!

Breakfast had a great variation of foods including a lovely granola, amazing toast, produced instantly! Nice coffee too. Any variation on the full Irish was accommodated, fish of the day, poached eggs, french toast (never seen that before). Over 6 nights, I had it all!

The leisure centre is great too. Yu get a key ring and fob plus towel form reception, fiver deposit, check in to the centre and it was never busy first thing in the morning when I went swimming, but I did not have time to use the gym.

Maddens Bar, named after said Darren? They server good food too. I had a slow cooked joint of lamb, beautiful. Again, great service. We had a young lady, who explained that they were busy, staff member down, but this was put in such a way, it was not a moan, that she asked if we were going to have a drink, well if so, have it now, she would take the order in about ten minutes when the kitchen was ready! Brilliant, not a problem, not even sold a solution, just brilliant service.

The only thing, I could not get a great signal on wi fi, but there was a pay for use PC in reception.

When we pointed out that a light bulb had gone, it was replaced by the time we got back.

I am sure I will think of more but in summary, the hotel is beautiful, in great condition, the owners and their staff make the difference and then you go outside the hotel and realise the whole town is like this!!

When we were on a bus tour of the archaeological sites, my wife needed to get back to prepare for a dinner appointment, so the bus driver took her away, left her off with her son who was doing another tour, he dropped off the bus and tourists and then dropped her to the door of the hotel! How is that for FREE service?

Room Tip: Can't tell you, we had an amazing room overlooking the weir, now some would not like that, the sound of rushing water is loud, even with the window closed, best bet, leave it open and enjoy! The hotel leave all vacant serviced rooms open to air, a nice touch. But this means you get a look at all rooms. I saw a triple with the first bed inside the door, and the double/twin almost out of sight, I saw smaller doubles than ours, but all beautiful. Ours had a small balcony, which a smoker could use (two rooms like this I think, but please take your cigarette buts with you or they can be seen form the breakfast room!) All rooms are well decorated, most we saw seemed to have good space, ours was big and perfect considering we like an early meal, and a bottle of wine by the telly in the evening if not out with people. I heard a receptionist telling a couple that their room was over the bar and that Gaelforce was on and there would be a party until after midnight. We had a shower, some had baths.
2  Thank RobbyfromIreland
Clewbayhotel, Guest Relations Manager at Clew Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2012

Hi Robby,

Thank you for your fantastic review of our hotel. We are all so pleased you had a great stay with us, and so glad that we were able to help you on the way when your car battery was flat. Westport is an amazing place, and genuinely so friendly (and this from a 'blow-in' from England).

I should point out to other Trip Advisor users, that parking permits are available from the hotel reception at check-in for a price of 3 Euro per night to leave your car in the public car park next door to the hotel which Robby mentioned.

I will make sure your kind words of affirmation and positive comments are forwarded onto the appropriate team members.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us in Westport, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Clew Bay Hotel again very soon.

Very kind regards,

Neil

Reviewed 20 August 2012

The hotel was in a good location and the hotel gave you free access to Westport Leisure Centre which is located at the side of the hotel. There is no parking only street parking which they provide to you at a rate of €3 per night which is good. The room was nice and big and there was a residence bar which is always useful after hours..it appeared to be only open one of the nights, we stayed mon-wed and it was open Wednesday. The hotel has a lift, the breakfast was lovely and the lady from Dublin was very nice and helpful who served us our breakfast. I would stay again if I came back to Westport.

Room Tip: we asked for a twin and it came with double and single beds so cant get better than that..
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ilovetravel11
Clewbayhotel, Public Relations Manager at Clew Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to contribute a very positive review for our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel is very fortunate to be close to the Westport Leisure Park where we can offer complimentary access to the leisure park facilities for all our guests (comprising a 25 metre swimming pool, children's pool, sauna, jacuzzi, and a full health & fitness suite). It's a nice touch to be able to open Madden's Bar to our hotel guests late at night, and we are pleased you enjoyed your breakfast in friendly surroundings. We look forward to welcoming you to Westport again in the near future.