“lovely break with our young family”
Review of Clew Bay Hotel

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Westport
kerry
“lovely break with our young family”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Recently stayed at the hotel with partner and 2 young children. Location is perfect, in town centre, close to tourist information office, shops and chemist at either side of building. At the rear of the hotel is a playground. Hotel offers passes to the leisure centre which has a large swimming pool, a toddler pool and access to sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi. Our room was comfortable, a huge king bed, and 3 single beds. Breakfast was beautiful. The staff at the hotel are so friendly and helpful. Our deal included a 2 day pass to the local Westport house and pirate park which the kids loved. I would recommend the hotel to anyone but especially perfect for families.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Clewbayhotel, Sales & Marketing at Clew Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Dear Siobhan 594,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us, and for leaving such kind comments about our hotel.

We are all glad you had a great family break with us.
Do survive this last week of the school holidays with the children!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Clew Bay Hotel again.

Clew Bay Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Annapolis Royal, Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I flew Halifax Nova Scotia at midnight to Heathrow, transferred to another flight to Dublin, then took a train across Ireland. The train was awesome for its speed, Wifi and reasonable cost. It took 5 minutes to reach the Clew Bay Hotel that I was able to work out on line and got a good deal as I was going solo. My only request was that I have a bath on my arrival as I would have been up over 24 hours. The front desk was efficient and delightful. None of this oh lets see what we have. The room was large the bathroom was spotless w a huge tub & shower. But breakfast blew me away. I thought it was simply a very good buffet so my cereal and yogurt
was doing fine for me. Then the waitress gives me the breakfast menu --- so I chose well I could not help myself smoked salmon and scrambled egg. What with a croissant and tea to wrap things up I would say this breakfast was the best I have had anywhere. I travel a lot.
Later I needed to purchase a phone so the front desk again directed me to the Vodaphone folk only a few doors away and the young man there was brilliant. I needed a connection for my little Acer and the man at the appliance store checked my cord and gave me my attachment in a minute. I say this because if I was on my own I might never have found these important tools for the rest of my stay. They also arranged a taxi for me to make to my particular destination. I would definitely would return and stay as the attitude w customers was spot on.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Smartestartist
Clewbayhotel, Sales & Marketing at Clew Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear Smartestartist,

Thank you for your wonderful recent review of your stay with us.

We are so pleased you had a very comfortable and relaxing stay with us after your transatlantic dash from Canada!

We are glad you found your room nice, and that you enjoyed your sumptuous breakfast (one of our key selling points).

We look forward to welcoming you back to Ireland and the Clew Bay Hotel again on your next travel adventure.

Nevada
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel with the tour group. It was nicely situated in the town of Westport and enjoyed being able to walk through the town with this hotel as the base. The lobby was nicely decorated with some local? art and jewelry that was available for purchase. The breakfast was traditional of many of the hotels/B&Bs we stayed with a nice cold selection and the opportunity to order hot items. Staff was very friendly. There was a bar attached to the hotel where we enjoyed some jazz music which was a nice change of pace from the trad music which we enjoyed as well.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Clewbayhotel, Sales & Marketing at Clew Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2013
Dear Nevada Soul Train,

We are so glad you enjoyed your recent holiday to Ireland and your stay with us at the Clew Bay Hotel.

The live jazz in Madden's Bar on Thursday evenings is one of the highlights of the week and we glad you enjoyed the 'craic' in there!

We are unique in Westport in having our very own art gallery off the hotel lobby, and to give guests the opportunity to purchase local art & jewellery.

Our excellent staff team are the hotel's key asset: we are glad you enjoyed their service to you.

We hope you enjoyed your tour of Ireland, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Clew Bay Hotel in the near future.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Just returned from a 2 night stay here and really enjoyed it. The hotel is very central, staff were friendly and our room was great - quiet and the beds were soooo comfortable! Would definitely recommend it!

Stroke City NI
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Thanks to the staff at Clew Bay for their flexibility and personal touch when we had a last-minute change in our travel plans. We got to stay over subsequently and can only echo what other authors have written about this hotel. The location, welcome and interest in the guests' comfort are things other hotels could learn from.
This is a 3-star hotel with all the ingredients for a great visit to Westport: comfortable rooms, clean environment, quiet at night and a hearty, unfussy breakfast. Tuesday night features some nice jazz in the lounge and the atmosphere there was very pleasant indeed.
We'll be back soon.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ernestBT48
Dear ErnestBT48,

Thank you for your very warm review of your recent stay with us.

We really appreciate your time taken in writing about your stay: we were so pleased to read that you had really enjoyed it!

As you described, the strongest elements of our hotel offering, are our professional yet friendly staff team, the quality of our food service (both breakfast in the Riverside restaurant & lunch/evening meals in Madden's Bistro), and our friendly/cosy atmosphere in our family run hotel. Live jazz music on Thursday evenings, and occasional live music at the weekend's in the hotel bar, adds further to what we can offer.

Thank you for sharing in our hotel, and for your excellent review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Clew Bay Hotel again in the near future.

Glos
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Like the hotel most staff great food really good, room good size and bathroom good. But noise from the hostel opposite stayed 3 nights woken 2 nights once at 1.00am next night at 3.30am by people returning to the hostel. Windows needed to be open as no air-con in the rooms. Would Iuse again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank single-dad-glos
Dear Single-Dad-Glos,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us on Trip Advisor.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay, apart from the late night hostel across the road from the hotel. We are sorry you were disturbed by late night revellers from across there.

We always encourage our guests to contact reception at any time should they not be satisfied with their accommodation. If we are able to, we are always happy to move guests to alternative rooms.

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel, and for recommending us to others.

We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The Clew Bay Hotel shines in my eyes. If you want true Irish hospitality with grand service, stay in the Clew Bay in downtown Westport. Darren Madden, the owner, is a very much hands on person. His words to us on our tour bus before we unloaded were "that if we had a problem to be sure to let him know". He was a problem solver in the truest sense. Nothing was too much trouble for him and his staff. Pawel, the restaurant manager, was so competent and smooth in helping with dining. It is a sense of famly there and they all work hard to give you a wonderful experience. We had no problems, as our stay was outstanding. It is an older, quaint hotel, with pleasant comfortable rooms and baths. The location is excellent! If going to Westport, give yourself the pleasure of staying in the family owned Clew Bay Hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jim S
Clewbayhotel, Sales & Marketing at Clew Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Dear Ymmij,

Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel.

We are glad you met Darren the hotel owner, and he was able to personally welcome your tour on arrival with us.

We are pleased you noted the strong cohesion of the staff team and the wonderful sense of family here!

I will pass on your kind compliments to our colleagues.

We very much look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.