“Irish avoid! Anti-Irish this place”

Old Mill Holiday Hostel
cork
“Irish avoid! Anti-Irish this place”
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Hello everybody;
My name is Tommy and I'm from Ireland. I stayed in this hostel for 1 night with 5 of my friends, and was not one bit impressed with the welcome me & my friends received!
I' made the booking over the phone about 2 weeks back, and spoke with a fellow Irish man from Mayo (Kip of a county by the way).He was very ignorant on the phone, and seemed to have a disliking to me on the phone because I was Irish and wanted accommodation for me and my Irish friends. Anyhow I went ahead with the booking, but my gut was telling me I didn't like this fella's manner. I was told the rooms would cost 22.50 a head, and he wanted an extra 50euro ahead as a behavioral deposit! The clown on the phone proceeded to rant on about the deposit what it was for and told me a story about a group of Irish lads in the past staying over, I mean all I want to do is make a booking, the price of a phone call these days isn't cheap, I don want to hear all this bull! As for the 50 deposit each & 22.50 each up front jayus it was lot of money to fork out for one nights accommodation in these political hard times, Anyhow the lads were keen so we said we go ahead with the booking!
Normally you would just leave your debit/credit card as a deposit, instead of this crack of taking beer money off lads. Anyhow moving on lads, the weekend came and we arrived in Westport, lads were excited, optomistic, sure some of the lads had never been in Mayo before.
We entered the hostal, and sat at the reception desk was this bald headed lad with 2 eyes popping out of his head. I greeted him as ya do, hello there how are ya, he glimpsed at me and grunted, and proceeded to deal with a few foreign lads Italian, he was all nicely nice to them, no mention of a deposit to be collected, but the Irish lads have to pay 50 deposits a head??!
When he was finished with the Italians he turned to me and my group of Irish lads, I said hello again, and he just eye balled us all, grunted and said are ye so and so then!!

Not a bit friendly, no welcome to Westport lads, here's what ye can do here lads! He then had a wee rant about our behaviour, more or less making us out to be criminals.Was tempted to walk, just that we had drove all the way from Cork so we didn't have the time to check into other accomendation..

The most disappointing thing lads was the hospitally,the warm Irish welcome,there was none, only the foreigners seemed to get it, which is great but what about your own??

As an Irish fellow I would warn any other group of Irish lads/girls staying there, we felt completely discriminated against!
Also we got talking to a few foreign lads in the kitchen, and none of them; now II mean NONE of them got charged the extra 50 euro deposit like we Irish lads did! We also met a few other Irish lads that got the same hair drying treatment as us!!!!

Morale of the story lads, avoid this hostal,not one bit friendly towards Irish, while I'm here avoid Mayo too,, Westport is a dive, full of smelly pubs. The best thing about Mayo is the road out of it!!1 Thank god Sam Maguire didn't end up there.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
12 Thank zzzzzzzzz z
Old M, Manager at Old Mill Holiday Hostel, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
We do not discriminate against any nationality, race or creed as described by this reviewer. This review is untruthful and factually inaccurate. For groups of 3 people or more we take certain precautions which we feel are necessary to mitigate against disruptive behaviour. We ask for a €50 behaviour deposit per person. In most cases this money is fully returned to the guests at check out time but we have found from much experience that this behaviour deposit helps us run a more peaceful hostel and that the property is better respected. If a guest/s makes a complaint about a noisy group we will refund the guest from the groups deposit money. If there is damage to the building or its contents we also deduct money from the groups deposit. This is standard practice in most hostels and hotels.

The last three reviews are probably by the same person or group. We regret they did not have a good time in Westport. We've had a very busy 2012 season and the vast majority of people enjoyed their stay with us and certainly enjoyed Westport & Mayo as their holiday destination.

I do hope that any discerning readers of Trip Adviser will see through these "bad" reviews
and realise that we are committed to making everyone's stay at the Old Mill Hostel a positive one. We are under-going a series of annual upgrades/renovations. We are in our third year this year. We did essential repairs in 2011 and in 2012 we renovated the dorms creating many more smaller dorms with added security, privacy and comfort. We've had great success with this as people prefer the smaller dorms and stay here for longer. We are hoping to upgrade the kitchen and showers this winter and will be looking better than ever in 2013.

I'd like to thank everyone who stayed with us in 2012

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Everything you need, great location in Westport...
The bathrooms were really bad.... But I guess the rest of the place made up for it...
The beds were really comfortable and breakfast was basic but fresh which makes a difference. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
Reviewed 23 August 2012

The old mill is a well run hostel close to the town center, it has limited parking although there is a pay & display car park next to it. The rooms are spacious and the kitchen/dining area is large & well equipped. I would recommend the old mill hostel to anyone who wants to stay in a fun town for a weekend or a few days.

• Stayed August 2012
Dublin
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Myself , a friend and 2 adult sons booked a room in the Hostel for sat night after cycling the Western greenway(thoroughly recommend the spin,45k to Achill,look around-lunch and cycle back).The staff were very friendly the rooms was clean as were showers and toilets.Very pleasant communal area with cooking facilities and a fridge. Only gripe was that the room had one 1ft by 1ft square window and sleep was difficult as we had our own personal sauna going on for the night! Location is fantastic,town centre and everything a short walk away. Fine spot but pity about the ventilation!!

Room Tip: Make sure room has a good window as most rooms have very small ones!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank eoco
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I stayed at the old mill a week or so ago and I left a pair of pants with my passport in them. I was very surprised to actually have it returned to me. Very honest place with a great location. I would recommend this hostel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Breedofhaters
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We were scammed out of 70 euro each for a nights stay in this hostel, They make you pay a 50 euro damage / behaviour deposit, When we returned from a night out they complained about us talking in our room and in the morning refused to give us back our deposit. We had to call the Gardai to negotiate half our money back. I would seriously recommend finding alternative accommodation in Wesport.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank steken73
Old M, Manager at Old Mill Holiday Hostel, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
I'd like to make a few corrections to this review. This group booked in as two small groups with the intention of joining together on the night to form a large stag party. We do not take stag parties as a rule due to the disruption they usually cause and this group were no different. Even though they had signed a behaviour contract and (paid a behaviour deposit) that explicitly states that we do not tolerate noise after midnight and even though they were given three warnings during the night about noise they persisted with making noise all night long, disturbing a lot of other guests who made complaints about them the next morning. They also brought drink into the dorms and wrapped a plastic bag around the smoke detector to prevent the alarm going off as they smoked drugs all night long.

I called the Gardai as the group then tried to intimidate my staff into returning their behaviour deposit in the morning at checkout time. The Garda who came to the hostel agreed that I was within my rights to withhold the deposit. To end the matter quickly I agreed to give back half their deposit. The Garda asked the group to leave and then had to nearly arrest one member of the group for trying to steal hostel property and breaking the peace.

I do not agree that my actions in relation to this stag party was bad for tourism in Westport. There are lots of other tourists who visit Westport for lots of other reasons which do not revolve around binge drinking and reckless, mindless behaviour.

As is clearly stated in our hostel rules, our dorms are not a party venue but a place to rest and sleep. If you can not understand that concept then do not stay here.

Travellers are raving about these Westport hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Very unhelpful and unaccommodating, wouldn't recommend at all, better of staying in a nice B&B.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple