“great at what it does”

Old Mill Holiday Hostel
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Just back from a mini break in westport. We stayed at the old mill - I was a bit apprehensive as some reviews are mixed and hostels can make me nervous !!. No need - I like the anti bad behaviour deposit etc as it ensures that manners are put on people. Homemade bread is a lovely touch as is the banana/chocolate bread we got one morning. Nice clean spacious open plan kitchen, easy to mingle and chat to other guests. The rooms are fine - typical small ish size but adequate. Nice shower room - great shower. The only slight negative is that I felt the seasonal staff could be more knowledgeable about the area/restaurants/activities. They are going to be asked the same questions over and over and should have a better idea tbh. Overall great stay and I will be back. Oh also the parking nearby is pay so car elsewhere for free take a good look around.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank DublinShivers
There are newer reviews for Old Mill Holiday Hostel

Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

I have been a regular visitor to Westport for activities and have stayed in numerous places (hotels & B&B's). But the Old Mill is the one I keep going back to.
There is place for my bike,I can come and go as I please,cook a meal or make a snack,
anytime.
Some great pubs all 10 mins walk.( McGings on High St. good trad.pub)

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank medooalot
Reviewed 27 April 2013

very central, nice staff working there: Liam cooks a delicious bread for breakfast and put nice typical irish music and tony gives great advices for alternative restaurants. The interior are also well groomed

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank 4Anna4
Reviewed 9 October 2012

From reading the reviews below I have no option but to agree with some of the comments below. It seems that groups are targeted upon by management of this hostel. Our group had the misfortune of dealing with a manager called Eoin. Similar to the comments below he tried to withhold our €50 deposit for "noise making, etc ect" and bascially spoke down to all of us. Westport is a lovely town but my advice is for any group to stay in alternative accomodation, as in the end it works out cheaper staying in a hotel such as the Wyatt up the road when you have management trying to come up with every excuse in the book to keep despoits.
Really this place would want to have a review of its basic principals...Our group stayed in the Wyatt hotel the 2nd night after leaving the hostel where we were treated with respect and our "noise making" never caused a problem!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
11  Thank Beirno
Old M, Manager at Old Mill Holiday Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2012

We do not discriminate against any nationality, race or creed as described by this reviewer. This review is untruthful and factually inaccurate. For groups of 3 people or more we take certain precautions which we feel are necessary to mitigate against disruptive behaviour. We ask for a €50 behaviour deposit per person. In most cases this money is fully returned to the guests at check out time but we have found from much experience that this behaviour deposit helps us run a more peaceful hostel and that the property is better respected. If a guest/s makes a complaint about a noisy group we will refund the guest from the groups deposit money. If there is damage to the building or its contents we also deduct money from the groups deposit. This is standard practice in most hostels and hotels.

The last three reviews are probably by the same person or group. We regret they did not have a good time in Westport. We've had a very busy 2012 season and the vast majority of people enjoyed their stay with us and certainly enjoyed Westport & Mayo as their holiday destination.

I do hope that any discerning readers of Trip Adviser will see through these "bad" reviews
and realise that we are committed to making everyone's stay at the Old Mill Hostel a positive one. We are under-going a series of annual upgrades/renovations. We are in our third year this year. We did essential repairs in 2011 and in 2012 we renovated the dorms creating many more smaller dorms with added security, privacy and comfort. We've had great success with this as people prefer the smaller dorms and stay here for longer. We are hoping to upgrade the kitchen and showers this winter and will be looking better than ever in 2013.

Reviewed 3 October 2012

Where to start....Cramped rooms, unclean, smelly, tiny bathrooms, no hot water for showers, unfriendly and IGNORANT staff, some of our party had to sleep on mattresses on the floor...and those are the best points! Staff manager, was so ignorant, said hello to him twice upon our arrival and he twice looked at me and my group, eye balled us and grunted??
The manager proceeded to ramble on about hostel policy, behaviour rules, and then wanted 50euro deposit of every one of us? Expensive night!!!!!!!! Normally you might just hold the room deposit against a credit/debit card, hello were in a recession and your taking 20 quid a head off lads, plus another 50 for deposit for 1 night! People aren't flush these days especially backpackers from overseas! The manager although he was Irish seemed so arrogant and ignorant towards Irish people in general staying in his hostel!

The night manager was a nightmare, constantly shouting at the group, coming into the rooms without knocking, and putting random people into our precooked rooms at all hours, shining a torch into people’s faces while they slept while counting very loudly to check how many were in the room....several times throughout the night.

One of the lads took a shower in the morning, and when he came out of the shower his wash bag was stolen?
Apart from the items stolen, others were casually offered drugs over the kitchen table by apparent friends of the night manager, who himself was very noisy all night and could be heard through the very thin floors having a party.

I cannot stress enough how much this place should be avoided and they will not be booked by our group for any future events in Mayo WESTPORT

Terrible.

Room Tip: don't stay here!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
10  Thank tom o

Reviewed 1 October 2012

Hello everybody;
My name is Tommy and I'm from Ireland. I stayed in this hostel for 1 night with 5 of my friends, and was not one bit impressed with the welcome me & my friends received!
I' made the booking over the phone about 2 weeks back, and spoke with a fellow Irish man from Mayo (Kip of a county by the way).He was very ignorant on the phone, and seemed to have a disliking to me on the phone because I was Irish and wanted accommodation for me and my Irish friends. Anyhow I went ahead with the booking, but my gut was telling me I didn't like this fella's manner. I was told the rooms would cost 22.50 a head, and he wanted an extra 50euro ahead as a behavioral deposit! The clown on the phone proceeded to rant on about the deposit what it was for and told me a story about a group of Irish lads in the past staying over, I mean all I want to do is make a booking, the price of a phone call these days isn't cheap, I don want to hear all this bull! As for the 50 deposit each & 22.50 each up front jayus it was lot of money to fork out for one nights accommodation in these political hard times, Anyhow the lads were keen so we said we go ahead with the booking!
Normally you would just leave your debit/credit card as a deposit, instead of this crack of taking beer money off lads. Anyhow moving on lads, the weekend came and we arrived in Westport, lads were excited, optomistic, sure some of the lads had never been in Mayo before.
We entered the hostal, and sat at the reception desk was this bald headed lad with 2 eyes popping out of his head. I greeted him as ya do, hello there how are ya, he glimpsed at me and grunted, and proceeded to deal with a few foreign lads Italian, he was all nicely nice to them, no mention of a deposit to be collected, but the Irish lads have to pay 50 deposits a head??!
When he was finished with the Italians he turned to me and my group of Irish lads, I said hello again, and he just eye balled us all, grunted and said are ye so and so then!!

Not a bit friendly, no welcome to Westport lads, here's what ye can do here lads! He then had a wee rant about our behaviour, more or less making us out to be criminals.Was tempted to walk, just that we had drove all the way from Cork so we didn't have the time to check into other accomendation..

The most disappointing thing lads was the hospitally,the warm Irish welcome,there was none, only the foreigners seemed to get it, which is great but what about your own??

As an Irish fellow I would warn any other group of Irish lads/girls staying there, we felt completely discriminated against!
Also we got talking to a few foreign lads in the kitchen, and none of them; now II mean NONE of them got charged the extra 50 euro deposit like we Irish lads did! We also met a few other Irish lads that got the same hair drying treatment as us!!!!

Morale of the story lads, avoid this hostal,not one bit friendly towards Irish, while I'm here avoid Mayo too,, Westport is a dive, full of smelly pubs. The best thing about Mayo is the road out of it!!1 Thank god Sam Maguire didn't end up there.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
12  Thank zzzzzzzzz z

Reviewed 20 September 2012

Everything you need, great location in Westport...
The bathrooms were really bad.... But I guess the rest of the place made up for it...
The beds were really comfortable and breakfast was basic but fresh which makes a difference. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012