“Terrible experience”

Old Mill Holiday Hostel
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I recently stayed in this hostel with a number of friends of mine and would recommend staying far away from this place. Cold/rude staff from check in, the rooms themselves are dirty and on removing the sheets there were multiple stains on the mattress covers (shame I didn’t take a photo) and the upper bunk beds do not have any sort of railing surrounding them (in our room anyway). I think the fact that out of only 70 reviews the fact that 22 are terrible, it really speaks for itself. There are much better places to stay in Westport. Also be wary of a €50 euro “behaviour deposit”. They may not verbally inform you about this and believe it is within their rights to remove it from your credit card without notification. No doubt the hotel manager will try to blacken our name in order to persuade you to disregard this review, however this is most definitely the worst hotel/hostel experience I have had. The only redeeming part of this trip is the lovely town of Westport which is definitely well worth a visit!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
15  Thank A123_Ireland
There are newer reviews for Old Mill Holiday Hostel

Reviewed 25 July 2014

From the moment we checked into this hostel (we were two couples sharing a 4 bed dorm), we were treated like an inconvenience by the staff. We received no welcome or greeting and were only met with sarcasm and apathy by reception. The room was more expensive than the other hostels we had stayed in on our road trip, smaller and not very clean. We were asked to strip our beds and bring our sheets down to the kitchen / sitting area in the morning - no problem to us but poor from a basic hygiene perspective. Check out was at 10 o'clock - an hour earlier than any other hostel I have ever stayed in. Again this wasn't a problem for us, we were up and packed and stripping the beds at 9.55am when a member of staff came, knocked on the door and rudely informed us to be down by 10. Again, not a problem as we were ready. After bringing our sheets and bags down to the sitting area attached to the kitchen by 10am we proceeded to make breakfast, not anticipating that this would be a problem in the huge kitchen (seating for about 40 - 50 people) with only 2 other guests present. Again the same women came and informed me that check out was at 10 and that out of her "kindness" she would allow us to stay until 11 to allow us to have breakfast. I said ok and that we would be out by 11am. At 10.45, we were finished breakfast, one of the party was brushing her teeth, the other putting some oranges from the table to a bag in an otherwise spotlessly left kitchen. She approached myself and the remaining member of our party and accused us of hanging about and told us that we should leave immediately. I told her we were leaving, we were just waiting for one friend to come back from brushing her teeth. She then accused us of "taking advantage of her HOSPITALITY". Beginning to become irate, I informed her that it was 10.45 and although we would be gone in less than 5 minutes (or sooner if possible at that stage), she had earlier informed me that she said we must be gone by 11am. She then angrily replied that we could only eat until 11am and were not allowed to sit and wait for our friend. At this stage I suggested that she become more clear in future to her guests to avoid confusion over such issues as 15 minutes. To this she became even more outraged and stormed out of the kitchen after the confrontation. I don't know what is going on in this hostel but they have some major issues to deal with. I have stayed in hostels all over the world and never been treated in this way. As an Irish person I was deeply ashamed as one of our party was a foreign visitor. Luckily, we had wonderful experiences in every other hostel we stayed in and had a brilliant trip. I would 100% NOT RECOMMEND this hostel until they sort our their hygiene and staffing issues. It was pretty much disgraceful. I am not exaggerating in this review and only wish that people especially visitors to our beautiful and normally welcoming country do not have to go through the same experience we did.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
11  Thank katefahey
Old M, Front Office Manager at Old Mill Holiday Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

My name is Katrin,
responsible that morning in the hostel, dealing with the morning check-outs
As we have a 10 o'clock check out rule which is highlighted through out the building,
I approached the group at 10o'clock and said that it actually was time to check out, my approach was, because one of the guests from the group started to cook a breakfast on the hob in our kitchen.
After a second time trying to make them aware of time, i said that time was over but allowed them to have extra time to actually consume their food,and gave them until around 11.00 o clock to do so mentioning again that the actual check out time was 10'o clock.
After 45 minutes i checked the kitchen and saw two of the group lounging in our common room using the Wi-fi while a third was still packing the food ,i said that this was not Ok, because not everyone was helping out and mentioned, the time given, was for breakfast only and not lounging.
It was then 10.45 and this was remarked by the complainant, whereto my response at that time was, that the extra time given was for breakfast, that i did not like to be taken advantage off
As it was way beyond actual check out time and the unfriendly response from the group added to this remark.

We try to run a good hostel and 99% of the customers are very happy with their stay with us as we try to accommodate every individual as good as possible, and if the experience was not up to standard, my apologies.

My colleague who was in the kitchen that time overheard and witnessed the conversation, mentioned that they where rude in that exchange, that the reaction of the group was not appropriate, given the extra time for breakfast.
With kind Regards
Katrin
Old Mill Hostel

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I recently stayed at this hostel with a number of friends of mine. The place was clean and good value but our only quibble was with the staff. Whilst I can understand that places like Westport often have issues with stages visiting etc; we visited and were made to feel like we were definite trouble makers from start to finish. The deposit of 50 euro per person is extremely high and the staff's coolness was very unprofessional. I do understand that groups of lads can cause problems but the customer service before there is even any trouble should be the same whether given to a German back packing couple or five Irish guys.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank mrmanire
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed in this hostel for a hen and from the beginning they made everything so difficult. they told us in our booking that had a 4 bed dorm and when we got there they told us that there were two of us in one room and another one in another room. we told them that we were on a hen and didn't want to be coming in after hours to a room with other people in it. we said that we didn't want to disturb other people. but they said the was no other way around it. that night we got back one by one, and in the morning early the other two girls that were in the room got up and started screaming at us about us coming in and making noise in the middle of the night. they said it was continuous ( this was 2 of us coming in and getting ready for bed ) ----- no party. Two friends had come from their room after this and were chatting with us about what had happened and one of the staff came in saying there was a complaint made about noise!!
besides all the trouble with the rooms the toilets were dirty and without toilet roll! couldn't wait to leave in the morning!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
12  Thank maireadlynch
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We visited Westport for a weekend away from Dublin- full of cycling, a Croagh Patrick climb and a thunderstorm on the Quay. We were both so impressed with the charm of the Old Mill Hostel- a beautifully re-invented stone mill with quaint and comfortable rooms, plenty of cooking and social space, and freshly-baked homemade scones for breakfast. The staff was incredible- kind, helpful and warm.

Westport is a gem of a town, and a gateway to adventure and natural beauty. We will certainly be back to the Old Mill Holiday Hostel in the future.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank march t
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed here with a friend, the beds are comfortable, showers clean and fine.
Only thing is hat there is not a lot of daylight in the rooms, good large kitchen and the centre of Westport is just around the corner.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Arrived very late in the evening but staff really accomodating, lovely clean room. Travelled with friends - suited perfectly. only downside limited parking. But everything else was what you'd expect from an excellent hostel

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends