“Beautifully executed food in lovely setting”
Review of La Fougere

La Fougere
Ranked #40 of 90 Restaurants in Westport
Price range: US$29 - US$85
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: La Fougere is a multiple award-winning restaurant, perched on the hill side overlooking Clew Bay & Croagh Patrick. Seamus Commons, one of Ireland’s most respected chefs, heads up the team at this Westport restaurant and the food is impeccable; with fresh fish, caught and landed daily, locally reared beef and lamb with fruit & vegetables grown in Knockranny’s gardens. Eating at La Fougere is all about relaxed fine dining, great food chosen from local producers and an interesting wine list – in great company. It’s a fantastic place to gather, open a bottle of wine, take in the breath-taking views and choose something from the delicious menu.
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Knockranny House Hotel always makes me feel like I am switching off entirely from the world, and our latest trip was no different. I knew the restaurant and food here was very highly regarded but really I didn't expect the world because it was a getaway rather than a culinary trip. We had the most wonderful meal here and I must compliment the friendly and professional staff who are truly worth a mention. You can tell they have been doing this for years and there are no mistakes in this restaurant. The cooking, creativity of the menu and execution was fantastic with something for everyone on the menu. Truly to be recommended for relaxed evening with friends or as a couple.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

The dinners I ate at La Fougere might just be the best meals I've ever eaten. We stayed at the Knockranny as part of a tour group so the full menu wasn't available to us, but we got to choose from 3-4 items each dinner for 3 nights and each was better than the last. The service was very professional, although more smiling would have been nice - sometimes the servers came off a bit too stoic. I still think about the meals I had here, 4 months later. Absolutely top-notch, first-class, melt-in-your-mouth wonderful. Not to mention the views from the dining room are unbelievable.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

I was brought here for a meal for my birthday by my partner. What an evening we had. The service excellent. A very special Thank you and Credit due to Nicholas and all the rest of the Team. The food so tasty and inventive. I would recommend this place to anybody I knew who were looking for a very special treat. We had the tasty menu and it was sensational.

1  Thank MrDC31
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My wife and I recently dined at La Fougere - a place we'd heard much about. We travelled to Westport solely to eat at this restaurant at the tail end of a recent vacation. [We did not stay at this hotel.]
Many of the other authors have spoken eloquently on their experiences - and ulysses4 pretty much sums up our observations to a tee in his May review. I suspect management at Knockranny is not reading the many Tripadvisor reviews otherwise some intervention would have been made by now, months later.
The staff are young and pleasant - though seemed to be under pressure despite a calm (if cavernous) dining room. The view from the large bay window is spectacular.
The food at La Fougere is delicious and beautifully presented but the staff are simply not trained to this level. All the timing and service errors previously spoken of were replicated for us: menu with no wine list; bread arriving pretty much with the starter; amuse bouche of rabbit-meat (when my dining partner was having a fully vegetarian meal - important detail); wine service which left us to self-pour; no query during the meal if everything was satisfactory; petit fours simultaneous with dessert and the bill being delivered without request.
This is a strange trichotomy: a fine 4-star family hotel, a five-star chef but service which has been outpaced in independent restaurants we have enjoyed in Westport down through the years.
My concern is that gourmands willing to pay well for a terrific dining experience will find fault - repairable, consistent fault as others have cited - with the Knockranny Hotel. The establishment cannot rely solely on the professionalism of Chef Commons to keep the reputation alive.
We would love to dine here again, but plead with the hotel to train their staff to higher standards.

2  Thank ernestBT48
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My wife and I had dinner here two nights this week as part of a food/accommodation package. By way of context, the cost of each meal, with wine, was around €175.

I found the food to be exceptional, a fantastic combination of tastes and ingredients, cooked superbly and presented exquisitely. I found the portions to be measured smartly, filling but not too much. Nice complimentary appetisers and amuse bouchées, fantastic wine list.

The setting, on the lower levels, of the dining rooms, is simply unbeatable in overlooking Croagh Patrick and Clew Bay. While we were there it was busy and a good 'buzz' obtained with people enjoying themselves.

Why I think it may never make it to extraordinary is a complete failing in leading the service in the dining room. My considered view is that management need to seriously invest in training their staff to the necessary level for a retaurent of this quality and price. Having got to know some of the servers over the days I stayed there, they are friendly, genuine, and well intentioned young people but I think need development, support and mentoring.

More than that they (the manageent) need to lead by example and show a greater professional approach to match the excellent fare and setting. By way of example, it is never acceptable to get your menu without a wine list, more than that to get your starter without your wine at the table is a compete no no, the pacing of courses is erratic, petit fours with dessert is not smart either, no wine chaperoning is also not acceptable at these prices. The clear and only intention i saw of senior management was that diners signed their bills before leaving - including before service was complete. I think there is hope in the quality of the young people who work in Knockranney but they need bringing on and realising of their talent - come on management, there are cheaper restaurants in the town who knock the socks off your service.

3  Thank DanIelDMan