1,190 results
All reviewskids clubhorse ridingleisure centrebreakfast traingreat family hotelfamily breakwedding venuereception areabit datedeach eveningboth nightsbar foodfriendly hotelbreakfast and dinnerfood was lovelywedding receptiongreat weekend
Reviewed 4 February 2008

We decided to stay at the Westport Woods Spa Hotel for a short weekend break in Feb. The hotel rooms and reception area were ok and the staff were friendly, especially the night porter Kevin. We ate in the restaurant one night and have no complaints, the food was good, but the menu a little dated and boring. There are much better restaurants nearby such as The Helm and Mango's. The Gym facilities looked great, and the decor of the bar was stylish, though it was here I had trouble.

It was raining and cold outside (as it often is here) and smokers could not be bothered to go outside, they huddled inside the foyer to the bar with the outside door closed (or if we were lucky slightly ajar) forcing us to share their smoke, even though it is illegal to smoke inside in Ireland the staff were not doing anything to stop it until I asked them to. I am not pedantic about smoking though do suffer asthema and my wife had a very bad cough, so it irritated us both.

I asked twice at reception and three times at the bar for them to do something about it. In fairness the staff did react quickly and try to put a stop to it. As a result I was challenged by a very aggresive group of locals who didn't see how it was a problem. I was even challenged to a fight! It added a really sour note to our stay. It is supposed to be a spa hotel after all, you think there would be a zero tolerance to smoking inside.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Asb0
MickeyWest, General Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2009

Dear Asb0,

Thank you for your comments and information about your stay at our hotel last February. I always welcome positive comments about our friendly staff and Kevin says 'Hi' and thanks you also. Every time a hotel colleague is mention by one of our guests in a positive light we reward them with a token of recognition in order to encourage more of the same. I believe it makes the job more interesting and enjoyable.

I'm also glad to see that you enjoyed our food and have taken your comments on board to try and get a more interesting up to date menu choice and variety. My Head Chef Eamon Farrelly is planning a new menu with as many local suppliers as possible, whom produce and grow many of the ingredients that are needed for his new dishes. We'd love you to come back and taste the offering in the knowledge that we will be reducing our carbon footprint by buying locally produced and delivered ingredients wherever possible.

I agree with you that smoking should not occur inside even in the lobby of our Cafe Bar as it happened on the night in question. My own investigations have informed me that it was not some of our local customers whom were smoking there but a Stag party whom were staying in the hotel that night. I apologise that this conduct occurred and am delighted to see that my staff on duty took care of the incident for you.

We have invested in a new smoking area which has automatic heated lights and an awning to protect our guests whom wish to smoke from the harsh winter wind and rain. It's so cosy now that many non smokers go and sit outside also.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Westport Woods Hotel & Spa.

Yours sincerely,
Michael Lennon,
General Manager, Westport Woods Hotel &

Reviewed 28 January 2008

We decided to go for a weekend break to Westport, my partner and our 2 kids (both under 3). The room was spacious and clean, but due to a storm on the Thursday night, there was no TV for the weekend. As we had no intentions of being out of the room after 8pm, this was dissapointing and quite odd that it still was not fixed by the sunday. The Hotel was clean and comfortable, the bar and restaurant are grand, the food while adequate and edable, had no imagination and the menu was something from the 80's. The pool was excellent but the lack of lifts or ramps made life for a family with 2 buggies (or anyone with wheelchair needs) very difficult and I can't imagine how they got planning permission. we were not informed when booking that there is MAJOR building works going on at the hotel and our view was a building site, which should be informed about in advance. The Staff were friendly and we did get a discount for our complaints... Internet was available in the lobby which was also a plus.

Jim
Galway

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Tightrope
HumanResoucesManager, Human Resources Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2009

Dear Jim

Thank you for your comments about your weekend stay in January. I am glad that you found the room spacious and clean and it was unfortunate that the TV was not working all weekend due to storm damage which affected much of Westport town over that period.

Your comments on our food have made our chef become more focussed on changing our menu seasonally whilst using the freshest local produce available therefore reducing our carbon footprint.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our Beech club leisure centre which has achieved the White flag accolade for the sixth year running.

We have made major improvements to our bedrooms, extending 33 and adding 11 brand new eco friendly rooms and we also have a lift which makes access to all areas of the hotel easier for our customers.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future, for you and your family to experience the improvements made to the hotel since your review on tripadvisor.

Reviewed 24 October 2007

went here for a weekend and had a great time found the stafe very helpfull no delay on booking in and the room was clean
could no fine anything wrong with the room the the bar had a 2 man band and they were vey good and the town is only 10 mins walk in

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank allcash
Reviewed 17 September 2007

The rooms are large and spacious, but the decor and furniture show signs of tiredness and could do with modernisation. The TV only had the four Irish and four UK broadcast stations, no SKY News or similar, and no continential stations. No mini-bar in rooms. Reception did not sell newspapers so it was a 15 minute round trip (walking) to the nearest newsagents. The breakfast was adequate, plenty to eat but very much along the traditional Irish "fry-up" line. I would like to see some modern, continental food on the breakfast buffet. Many of Westport's hotels have weddings at the weekend, making them very busy if not rowdy. Westport Woods is quiet and calm, with a pleasant bar and foyer. I didn't try the health centre but I heard good reports from other guests. This hotel is ideal as a base for holidaymakers but lacks many of the services that business travellers require.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank TravellerJohn
MickeyWest, General Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2009

Dear Travellerjohn

Thank you for your TripAdvisor Traveller Review and comments about my hotel.

Comments such as yours are a great help to my management team and myself in actioning service improvements and changes which improve our service to our guests. The hotel business is continually investing and improving its offering.

During 2008 we invested 2 million euro in renovating 33 older bedrooms and building 11 new deluxe rooms. They all have flat screen TV's with a variety of channels including Sky News. The contemporary look and feel has received very favorable reviews from many guests whom have stayed in them over the last year.

Our hotel has been honoured with the Green Hospitality Award as the Greenest Hotel in Ireland. We have reduced our energy carbon footprint by upto 80% and landfill from 240 tonnes to 40 tonnes over the last 5 years. All of this is helping motivate an image change without losing the friendly service you have complimented us for.

We are listening to our customers and your comments about modernisation have been built into our capital expenditure programme going forward and the first phase has been completed in 2008.

We take delivery of pre-booked newspapers each morning and Centra is just a short walk from the hotel if we do miss a guest request. We have also built new Board Room for meetings and private functions. We also offer free wi-fi to all of our guests and are implementing broadband connectivity in all of our deluxe bedrooms.

Thank you for mentioning the positive aspects of our business, the quiet and calm, pleasent Bench Cafe Bar and foyer, the good reports from other guests about leisure centre and spa.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Westport Woods Hotel.

Yours sincerely

Michael Lennon

Reviewed 4 September 2007

this hotel was recommended to us by friends as an amazinly good family hotel. we were not let down. the staff in reservations were excellent when we initially booked our stay. when i asked for information on the kids club(which was the main reason we were staying) i was put on to one of the staff who worked in the club and it was explained to me in full detail what the club offers, i was so impressed.
again when we arrived the staff were so friendly and could not do enough to help. our room was not ready as we arrived early and we were asked to have tea or coffee in the bar(which was given complimentry with biscuits) not many places would be bothered as it is explained that check in is not till 4pm. the girls at reception ensured that our room was put on priority and we did not wait long. the kids absolutely loved the kids club, my 2 year old generally will not stay anywhere but he did not want to leave the toddler room! the girls down there were fantastic and interacted so well with the children, they have a a main event every evening getting everyone involved and encouraging the shyer children to take part. in the talent show one night one of the K.O's actaully got up with one of the children it was fantasic to see.. at the disco every evening the staff were up dancing and the kids loved it.. the food was great, we did not eat in the restaurant but the bar menu had great variety. the girls on food service were witty and helpful as were the guysbehind the bar. i really could not fault my stay here. my husband and i got to spend some time together while the kids were in absolutely briliant hands. we wil definetly be back at halloween when the kids club is on agin.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family