“Westport Woods - Never Again”

Westport Woods Hotel
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Westport
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
mayo
“Westport Woods - Never Again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2008

I stayed at this hotel in June of this year. My partner and I arrived at about 3pm on the Friday. When we went to check in, there were already 3 other couples sitting waiting to have rooms allocated, they had already checked in. When we checked in, we were told they had to see if the rooms were ready, so we waited with everyone else for about 15 minutes.

Finally, off we went, down a long corridor on the way to our room... all the way down this corridor the room doors were open and we could see lovely, newly refurbished, modern rooms. I thought great, the rooms look good. But when we eventually got to our room, it was awful! It was a like a throwback to the 1960's..really old furniture, really old decor... After a few minutes deliberation with my partner, I decided to go up to reception to tell them i was disappointed with the room...Again I made my way back up the long corridor past all the lovely new rooms... After telling reception of my disappointment, and pointing out there were new rooms free, we were moved to the top floor to an even newer nicer room.

I simply cannot understand why a hotel would put customers in their old rooms when the new rooms are free? Surely they want to promote the newer rooms of the hotel?? But it seems not to be the case.

The food - dont even go there, it was completely appauling - burnt, old chicken wings, withery salad leaves, dried leathery chicken with some sort of a sauce that had split, and a very unrecognisable desert . I did not complain about this as I had already had about the room, I am just chalking this one up to a very bad experience. I will never return to this hotel.

2 Thank Abbey2000
MickeyWest, General Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this review, 31 December 2008
Dear Abbey 2000,

Thank you for your review about your stay at my hotel recently. It is helpful for our customer care committee to get both positive and negative feedback from TripAvisor Traveler Reviews.

We have taken a number of customer focused actions to try and alleviate the problems and miscommunication that you encountered during your stay. Namely that we will actively communicate the different types of bedroom that we offer and charge according to their perceived standard and quality of furnishing etc. This will be communicated as , deluxe, standard and family bedrooms and will give you and our future customers a better knowledge of the best value available.

I have commenced purchasing prints, paintings and rugs to decorate our long narrow corridors in order to make them more interesting to hotel guests whom use them to travel from our Lobby, our Lakeview Restaurant & Bench Cafe Bar to the other end of our hotel where our Cedar Spa & Beech Club Leisure Centre are situated. Our bedrooms are conveniently centrally located to all of our services. These corridors have also had new environmentally friendly LED lighting added which will help the hotel reduce its carbon footprint and make it the Greenest Award Winning Hotel in Ireland.

Your comments about our food have encouraged my Head Chef Eamon Farrelly to design a new menu of fresh foods which will be produced on local farms and offer the opportunity to have the best value and freshest dining experience in Westport.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Westport and offering you a different experience of your last visit to the Westport Woods Hotel & Spa, with many of the ideas you have helped to motivate because of the effort you made with posting your comments on Tripadvisor.

Yours sincerely

Michael Lennon, General Manager, Westport Woods Hotel & Spa, Ireland's Greenest Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
EDINBURGH SCOTLAND
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2008

I was pleasantly surprised to find Westport Woods Hotel so good after some of the unkind remarks I read in reviews.

I found the food good, the rooms new and spotless with a digital tv and all the mod coms in the bedroom.

So don't be put off by out of date remarks - this hotel is aiming for 4 star and it won't be long before this happens

• Disliked — EVERYTHING WAS ABSOLUTELY FINE
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MARYROY
ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2008

Has a very bad experience with this hotel. We stayed there for one night with a group of people. We had 10 rooms booked. Had a problem with one room as the shower was broken. When we brought the problem to the attention of the management they were extremely unhelpful and were quiet rude.We refused to pay the full rate in respect of the room with no water and their response was to pay the bill in full or they would call the guards, which they did!!! This was the managements way of dealing with the problem. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Needs new management!

• Stayed June 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
MLennon, Owner/Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2008
Thank you for your comments regarding our Hotel. Such comments are always welcome and will be used by our customer care committee to help ensure a better service to you and your friends when you next return. My own recollection of the morning differs from your report. On departure I offered you and your two friends a discount rate because of the problem encountered with the shower in your bathroom. However this discount was refused and you wanted to set your own rate of discount. The Group Organiser who has stayed happily with us before, paid the difference and you received a Euro 50 discount for a shower that did not work properly but a bathroom that did have hot and cold water running upon your departure. I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused. Yours sincerely Michael Lennon, General Manager, Westport Woods Hotel & Spa
westmeath
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2008

We thought this was a four star hotel. We read about it and looked at pictures before we left. Found descriptions entirely misleading.
We checked in at nine thirty with our six year old daughter only to discover in our first room the toilet would not flush...this room was just about okay otherwise.
The second room we were offered was on the ground floor but the curtains were hanging off their rail and would not close...a grubby room...
room number three.....this one was clean...but only one bed for three people.
The fourth room was smaller, dirty and again shabby and outdated.
It was now after eleven o'clock at night and with all our luggage and our small daughter trailing along the corridors with us, reception offered us A FIFTH ROOM!!!!! WE made our excuses and checked into an alternative hotel in the town centre. INCREDIBLE. How this hotel gets a four star rating is puzzling to put it mildly!!!

• Liked — the door out of the hotel and into another one.
  • Disliked — everything was awful
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
Dear Dunlom, Westmeath,

Thank you for your comments and observations about your check in at the Westport Woods Hotel & Spa. You seem to have really got the run around from one room to another and I agree with you that it really was not good service and incredible as you say yourself.

Your excellent description will be helpful for use by our Customer Care Committee and they have already used it for action planning to ensure that this does not occur again.

I do not believe in using my unfortunate guest experiences as a testing ground and would like to invite you back to have a more enjoyable and organised hotel break away with your family.

As regards the false advertising, '4 star hotel', I would like to have some more information upon where this is being used as the Westport Woods Hotel & Spa is a Failte Ireland registered Four Star Hotel.

Thank you for your time and effort in placing your reviews on Tripadvisor.

Yours sincerely, Michael Lennon, General Manager, Westport Woods Hotel & Spa
weston super mare
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2008

I booked a 3 day special with 2 two hour rides (one mountain, one beach), and one body massage. Dinner bed and breakfast included. It suited me as it is difficult to find somewhere with a good quality horse to ride and beautiful scenery to boot. Staff friendly and helpful. Food could have been a bit better, otherwise i enjoyed my stay and would recommend the breaks.
Liz Stirling Weston suer Mare

Stayed April 2008
Northern Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2008

My Parents stayed here as we got them a voucher for this hotel for Christmas. They were given a room that smelt stale and had writing on the walls of it . We asked for a basket of fruit & a bottle of white wine to be left in the room as a surprise but they got a dinner plate with 2 rotten bananas & a couple of other things on it & a bottle of RED wine. They did say that the hotel satff were very helpful & their dinner was lovely but on the whole very dissapointing stay

Stayed February 2008
MickeyWest, General Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this review, 1 January 2009
Dear Ciara05,

Thank you for your comments about your parents stay with us. It is nice to know that they enjoyed the friendliness of my colleagues and that the food experience was good. Valuable information that we gather from Tripadvisor customer comments has helped us in the past to improve our services to you in the future.

We have already made some improvements to our bedrooms by spending over 2 million euro during 2008 on 44 new eco bedrooms and upgrading another 30. We have a plan to revitalise all of our bedrooms over the next 2 years and are 65% of the way there now.

I would love to invite you or your parents back to see these new developments and enjoy one of the warmest greenest hotel experiences in Ireland. We have just won a national Green Award and can proudly promote ourselves as the Greenest Hotel in Ireland.

Looking forward to meeting you soon.

Regards Michael Lennon
Ross on wye
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2008

We decided to stay at the Westport Woods Spa Hotel for a short weekend break in Feb. The hotel rooms and reception area were ok and the staff were friendly, especially the night porter Kevin. We ate in the restaurant one night and have no complaints, the food was good, but the menu a little dated and boring. There are much better restaurants nearby such as The Helm and Mango's. The Gym facilities looked great, and the decor of the bar was stylish, though it was here I had trouble.

It was raining and cold outside (as it often is here) and smokers could not be bothered to go outside, they huddled inside the foyer to the bar with the outside door closed (or if we were lucky slightly ajar) forcing us to share their smoke, even though it is illegal to smoke inside in Ireland the staff were not doing anything to stop it until I asked them to. I am not pedantic about smoking though do suffer asthema and my wife had a very bad cough, so it irritated us both.

I asked twice at reception and three times at the bar for them to do something about it. In fairness the staff did react quickly and try to put a stop to it. As a result I was challenged by a very aggresive group of locals who didn't see how it was a problem. I was even challenged to a fight! It added a really sour note to our stay. It is supposed to be a spa hotel after all, you think there would be a zero tolerance to smoking inside.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Inability to control smoking in the bar
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Asb0
Dear Asb0,

Thank you for your comments and information about your stay at our hotel last February. I always welcome positive comments about our friendly staff and Kevin says 'Hi' and thanks you also. Every time a hotel colleague is mention by one of our guests in a positive light we reward them with a token of recognition in order to encourage more of the same. I believe it makes the job more interesting and enjoyable.

I'm also glad to see that you enjoyed our food and have taken your comments on board to try and get a more interesting up to date menu choice and variety. My Head Chef Eamon Farrelly is planning a new menu with as many local suppliers as possible, whom produce and grow many of the ingredients that are needed for his new dishes. We'd love you to come back and taste the offering in the knowledge that we will be reducing our carbon footprint by buying locally produced and delivered ingredients wherever possible.

I agree with you that smoking should not occur inside even in the lobby of our Cafe Bar as it happened on the night in question. My own investigations have informed me that it was not some of our local customers whom were smoking there but a Stag party whom were staying in the hotel that night. I apologise that this conduct occurred and am delighted to see that my staff on duty took care of the incident for you.

We have invested in a new smoking area which has automatic heated lights and an awning to protect our guests whom wish to smoke from the harsh winter wind and rain. It's so cosy now that many non smokers go and sit outside also.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Westport Woods Hotel & Spa.

Yours sincerely,