“Only OK”

Westport Woods Hotel
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Westport
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed here for a girly weekend in March. Arrived late so didn't take too much notice on the first night - apart from the dated corridors, lack of style, and old light doors - reminded me of an old boarding school.
Saturday morning breakfast was well very disappointing!!! We arrived for breakfast around 10.30, and there was not enough food - no rashers, beans, eggs, mushrooms or tomatoes. As each item was replenished there was about a 5-10 min wait for each think, so as picked up what was on your plate was cold waiting for the next thing. I have staying in a number of hotels and have never come across anything like this before. I appreciate if it was overly busy it might be hard to keep on top of the food, but this was not the cause.
Visited the spa on Saturday afternoon - they got the booking all mixed up, not enough time for the treatments we had requested but the treatments we received were excellent.
The food in the restaurant was just "OK" - there was no chicken on the menu which i was very surprised with as this is something that would consider to be quite the norm. The food we got was nice but not wow.
The room was clean and the beds very comfortable - but very noisy, you could make out exctly whar was being said in the rooms next door and in the hallway which is not exactly what you want when you go away.
I wouldn't be rushing back it would want to be a lot cheaper to justify it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I got a livingsocial deal to stay 2 nights here. The hotel was very clean and staff were pleasant. I had read the tripadvisor reviews so had called in advance to request a deluxe room which I was granted (with some slight reluctance). Our room was nice & clean & nicely decorated, though smallish. Overall our stay was good and comfortable. However, the food kind of lets the place down. We had a dining credit included in our deal but after looking at the menu we decided not to use it. The menu was like an early 90s rural Ireland wedding menu, the starters included egg mayonnaise, melon and soup. Main courses were beef, chicken, salmon. Now perhaps the food was cooked to perfection-I don't know as I didn't try it-but the extremely unimaginative menu did not bode well for the quality of the food. Breakfast was a let down. I just do not understand WHY a 4 star hotel serves orange juice from concentrate- its just unforgivable. The buffet breakfast suffered from what all buffet breakfasts suffer-overcooked eggs & overcooked rashers. Fresh fruit had tinned fruit mixed in to it-dear lord why?! On the plus side, table service for tea & coffee was fast & efficient. There was some fresh fruit which was good. How much extra work is it to cook eggs & bacon from scratch rather than having them sit around going tough & gross? To be honest, breakfasts like this make me want to stay in luxury B&Bs where they cook everything fresh to order. But then, I am a fussy foodie so if you like most food in most places you go, you will probably find this fine.

Pros:
spotlessly clean
pleasant foyer area with beautiful fresh flowers
nice staff
comfortable deluxe rooms with flatscreen tv & tea/coffee making facilities
has a pool

Cons:
food-Westport has so many nice places to eat, you really need to step up your game
only 1 TV in the bar for the rugby match
a 15 minute walk from the town centre

Room Tip: Request a deluxe room as allegedly some rooms are not refurbished
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
HumanResoucesManager, Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Sorchaspud,

Constructive comments such as yours help us to maintain the highest possible standards, so thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am delighted that you found the hotel clean, the staff friendly and your room nice.

However, I am disappointed that you did not dine in the hotel due to the menu selection. Following your comments and others, our newly appointed head chef is re-designing the menu to be more imaginative and give guests a wider choice of dishes. A new pastry chef started this week and is developing a variety of breads, pastries and desserts.

The menu in the Bench Café Bar has a much more varied choice, but I know the dining credit was not valid here.

I have passed your comments about breakfast service on to the chef and the restaurant manager, who are working together to try and rectify the issues you mentioned.

If you return to Westport in the future, I do hope you consider staying with us and experience the improved food offerings.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I stood in a mix of horror & amazement as my husband was lightened of €130 to stay in this hotel....

This was our second stay here & nothing had changed from our previous visit & my previous review...except maybe its a fraction worse.

Its like a Monet.....fine from a distance, but up close not so much....

So dated, surly reception staff, out dated, musty bedrooms, with a TV my granny would be ashamed of. They boast of having a wide selection of TV stations, we found two.

We left shortly after we arrived to hit the town & came back later to a flood lit bar, no warmth or friendlyness, all very impersonal.

Arranged to have breakfast sent to our room, which it was but wrong order re quantities of what they sent. The quality was not good, think petrol station breakfast after its been under the lights too long.

They sent, as requested two baskets of bread & toast with enough butter to do one half slice. Tea was also weak......tea, in Ireland how is it possible to get tea wrong? Maybe because for the four cup pot provided there weren't near enough tea bags, plain mean.

Also the staff that arrived with it could work on having a sunnier disposition, I'd be happy with a good morning even....or possibly just a smile? Opening my door to two girls who looked like they're were either about to burst into tears or throw the breakfast at me didn't make me eager to start the day.

I have made my husband promise we won't have to come back here again, if he fancies wasting €130 I have far better ideas on how to do it!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ConnaughtK

Dear ConnaughtK

Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry you had a disappointing experience when you stayed with us, as we hope everyone will enjoy themselves. It is greatly appreciated when guests go to the trouble of letting us know what they think of the service we provide.

Your comments about the atmosphere in the bar, have been passed on to the bar manager, as the lighting in the bar has different ambient settings to set the mood.

The majority of bedrooms have been upgraded at this time, with flat screen TVs in approximately 75% of the rooms.

With regard to the quality of the breakfast you ordered, all room service breakfasts are prepared freshly by the breakfast chef and it is a shame you did not enjoy it.

If you are back in Westport in the future I do hope you would consider using some of the facilities we have to offer, such as the Beech Health Club & Spa, go!trekking! Equestrian treks or the Bench Café Bar.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

We, 5 of us stayed night before we climbed croagh Patrick. Hotel so nice, very welcoming. Staff so helpful. The rooms were were spacious and modern. Bar food delicious and good value. Always a buzz in this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2014
HumanResoucesManager, Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear lmbo,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we really appreciate your lovely comments and feedback.

I was delighted to see that you found our staff friendly and helpful and enjoyed our food. We work hard to earn these comments every day, and we will continue to do so.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Westport!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Not stayed here yet - I'll be back after our Easter stay- but got to say they have outstanding customer service- they have accommodated a difficult family stay request with grace and ease and we are looking forward to finding our new place to "staycation". First class so far Michael!

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I've been to the Westport Woods hotel a few times, and my daughter loves the kids club. the kids club staff are energetic, and fun. That is the main reason we keep going back.

On the down side, the food in the hotel is not good, we can only ever seem to get a deal for bed, breakfast and evening meal. Food in the restaurant is fine. It is in the way of feed the multitudes. just don't ask for beef to be done a certain way. You get beef.

I will probably go back, just for the kids club. but not for the food.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Monica H,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we truly appreciate comments and feedback from our guests.

We take pride in providing our guests with great, memorable family holidays and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was disappointed to see you were unsatisfied with the food during your stay, but please be assured that since your stay we have changed our Head Chef and employed a wonderful pastry chef, who between them are cooking up a storm!

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you to our hotel in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Myself and my partner bought a deal through living social to stay here and we were a bit dubious as we had never bought anything off this before. We arrived at 4pm for our 2 night and were directed to our room. We were pleasantly surprised at the spacious room and the facilities in it-tea, coffee towels kettle tv etc etc Place was fabulous the health club had pool jacuzzi,gym steamroom and sauna couldnt have asked for more help staff at the health club with towels provided and a euro for our locker. We had dinner at the hotel on our first night and although we had quite a long wait the food was fabulous. They had a singer in the bar area too so we didnt have to leave the hotel, went horseriding as prt of the deal and loved it! the girls were lovely and made us feel welcome, Would def go back!

Room Tip: the higher up the better
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PINKBUNNY
HumanResoucesManager, Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear PINKBUNNY,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the BWP and for your wonderful feedback.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. I have shared your encouraging comments with all the team here who join me thanking you. We are all genuinely delighted and we look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again very soon.

Yours sincerely,