“Not impressed”

Westport Woods Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Westport
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed here for a weekend break this past weekend and will definatly not be returning, the rooms and decor are really dated ,the toilet in our room and the other girls room we were traveling with where blocked as were the toilets in the lobby and by sunday the smell of sewrage was just rank the staff where so rude apart from one lovely spanish waitress who seemed to be the only member of staff with manners and any efficeny the service at the bar was un acceptable we had to ask one lad behind the bar twice for chips we had ordered with our sandwich and then another girl before we finally got them majority of the staff at breakfast were un approachable and bad tempered one of the staff snapped at one of the girls we were staying with when she asked her if they would mind refilling the mushrooms, the food we ordered for our main meal was ridiculously small and barely edible and to top it off we all at some point on our stay got short changed or over charged at the till, thats when one of them would actually bother to serve us, the only high light of the trip was the pool and leisure facilaties it was clean and spacious and had a great steam room and sauna, the staff working down there where grand and always had a life guard on duty. the grounds at the back of the hotel are beautiful and the hotel had a lovely wide open lobby with great views of the river and walkway but other than that there wasnt much else good i can say about the hotel, ,i have never seen such ill mannered staff in a hotel i can only praise one lovely spanish( i think she was spanish) waitress out of them all i wouldnt recommending this hotel to anyone :(

2  Thank Caoimhe C
HumanResoucesManager, Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Caoimhe C,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we appreciate your comments and feedback. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed our leisure facilities.

Our commitment to guest satisfaction is of utmost importance to myself and the team. Therefore, I was disappointed to read that you felt the staff were rude and bad tempered. I am sorry you felt this, as generally this is not the feedback we receive about the team, as you can see from other reviews and also from what I hear from customers when they're here.

Once again, we appreciate your feedback and we hope to welcome you to our hotel in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 31 March 2014

stayed at this hotel as part of a group. found staff to be surly, rude and unfriendly apart from one ? spanish waitress who stood out with her friendliness and hard work because it was in such contrast to all the other staff. room was dated and smelt musty. towels were few. when asked for more, the receptionist said the cleaners would bring some round. that took hours. the bed and pillows were very hard and uncomfortable.
most of us got overcharged at the bar at some stage during the weekend. food was overpriced and average. had dinner saturday night which was dreadful. smallest piece of chicken ever, one scoop of mash and a small gratin dish of vegetables to share between 3 people. we asked for more veg and were given an even smaller gratin dish of veg!!! this cost 15 euro each. rip off. one of the group had meat lasagne with no meat in it. went to another hotel for spa treatments as this hotel was fully booked, and the contrast in staff and service was eye opening.
the noise levels in the hotel are awful, little or no sound proofing in rooms. toilets smelt terrible in foyer, like sewers. went for breakfast on sunday morning and food scarce ! staff were asked for some food items which were missing and were not too pleased at having to do so. have to wait to be seated but staff not always there so there was a queue of people waiting to get in for the breakfast that was fast disappearing.. there is no customer service here and considering the amount of hotels in the area this hotel would want to up its game significantly. avoid it. your money is better spent elsewhere.

3  Thank emily2010Roscommon
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Lovely leisure and spa staff and facilities, let down by the rest of the staff.

Breakfast staff were downright rude, sullen, bad tempered and failed to bring a boiled egg within half an hour after ordering. I said 'good morning' to one dark haired lady who looked at me as if I'd said something quite different...
The buffet was cold and half empty by 10am and the fresh fruit was sour.

Beds (3rd floor) hard as bricks an no sound proofing in rooms - we were woken at 4am by a drunk group of pensioners returning to their rooms.

Reception staff were defensive and rude when we mentioned the noise. No apology was offered. Very disappointing as we don't get away together very often. I Recommend the nearby Hotel Westport for a far superior experience.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank WeeFamilyHolidays
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed here for a girly weekend in March. Arrived late so didn't take too much notice on the first night - apart from the dated corridors, lack of style, and old light doors - reminded me of an old boarding school.
Saturday morning breakfast was well very disappointing!!! We arrived for breakfast around 10.30, and there was not enough food - no rashers, beans, eggs, mushrooms or tomatoes. As each item was replenished there was about a 5-10 min wait for each think, so as picked up what was on your plate was cold waiting for the next thing. I have staying in a number of hotels and have never come across anything like this before. I appreciate if it was overly busy it might be hard to keep on top of the food, but this was not the cause.
Visited the spa on Saturday afternoon - they got the booking all mixed up, not enough time for the treatments we had requested but the treatments we received were excellent.
The food in the restaurant was just "OK" - there was no chicken on the menu which i was very surprised with as this is something that would consider to be quite the norm. The food we got was nice but not wow.
The room was clean and the beds very comfortable - but very noisy, you could make out exctly whar was being said in the rooms next door and in the hallway which is not exactly what you want when you go away.
I wouldn't be rushing back it would want to be a lot cheaper to justify it.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I got a livingsocial deal to stay 2 nights here. The hotel was very clean and staff were pleasant. I had read the tripadvisor reviews so had called in advance to request a deluxe room which I was granted (with some slight reluctance). Our room was nice & clean & nicely decorated, though smallish. Overall our stay was good and comfortable. However, the food kind of lets the place down. We had a dining credit included in our deal but after looking at the menu we decided not to use it. The menu was like an early 90s rural Ireland wedding menu, the starters included egg mayonnaise, melon and soup. Main courses were beef, chicken, salmon. Now perhaps the food was cooked to perfection-I don't know as I didn't try it-but the extremely unimaginative menu did not bode well for the quality of the food. Breakfast was a let down. I just do not understand WHY a 4 star hotel serves orange juice from concentrate- its just unforgivable. The buffet breakfast suffered from what all buffet breakfasts suffer-overcooked eggs & overcooked rashers. Fresh fruit had tinned fruit mixed in to it-dear lord why?! On the plus side, table service for tea & coffee was fast & efficient. There was some fresh fruit which was good. How much extra work is it to cook eggs & bacon from scratch rather than having them sit around going tough & gross? To be honest, breakfasts like this make me want to stay in luxury B&Bs where they cook everything fresh to order. But then, I am a fussy foodie so if you like most food in most places you go, you will probably find this fine.

Pros:
spotlessly clean
pleasant foyer area with beautiful fresh flowers
nice staff
comfortable deluxe rooms with flatscreen tv & tea/coffee making facilities
has a pool

Cons:
food-Westport has so many nice places to eat, you really need to step up your game
only 1 TV in the bar for the rugby match
a 15 minute walk from the town centre

Room Tip: Request a deluxe room as allegedly some rooms are not refurbished
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
HumanResoucesManager, Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Sorchaspud,

Constructive comments such as yours help us to maintain the highest possible standards, so thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am delighted that you found the hotel clean, the staff friendly and your room nice.

However, I am disappointed that you did not dine in the hotel due to the menu selection. Following your comments and others, our newly appointed head chef is re-designing the menu to be more imaginative and give guests a wider choice of dishes. A new pastry chef started this week and is developing a variety of breads, pastries and desserts.

The menu in the Bench Café Bar has a much more varied choice, but I know the dining credit was not valid here.

I have passed your comments about breakfast service on to the chef and the restaurant manager, who are working together to try and rectify the issues you mentioned.

If you return to Westport in the future, I do hope you consider staying with us and experience the improved food offerings.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I stood in a mix of horror & amazement as my husband was lightened of €130 to stay in this hotel....

This was our second stay here & nothing had changed from our previous visit & my previous review...except maybe its a fraction worse.

Its like a Monet.....fine from a distance, but up close not so much....

So dated, surly reception staff, out dated, musty bedrooms, with a TV my granny would be ashamed of. They boast of having a wide selection of TV stations, we found two.

We left shortly after we arrived to hit the town & came back later to a flood lit bar, no warmth or friendlyness, all very impersonal.

Arranged to have breakfast sent to our room, which it was but wrong order re quantities of what they sent. The quality was not good, think petrol station breakfast after its been under the lights too long.

They sent, as requested two baskets of bread & toast with enough butter to do one half slice. Tea was also weak......tea, in Ireland how is it possible to get tea wrong? Maybe because for the four cup pot provided there weren't near enough tea bags, plain mean.

Also the staff that arrived with it could work on having a sunnier disposition, I'd be happy with a good morning even....or possibly just a smile? Opening my door to two girls who looked like they're were either about to burst into tears or throw the breakfast at me didn't make me eager to start the day.

I have made my husband promise we won't have to come back here again, if he fancies wasting €130 I have far better ideas on how to do it!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ConnaughtK

Dear ConnaughtK

Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry you had a disappointing experience when you stayed with us, as we hope everyone will enjoy themselves. It is greatly appreciated when guests go to the trouble of letting us know what they think of the service we provide.

Your comments about the atmosphere in the bar, have been passed on to the bar manager, as the lighting in the bar has different ambient settings to set the mood.

The majority of bedrooms have been upgraded at this time, with flat screen TVs in approximately 75% of the rooms.

With regard to the quality of the breakfast you ordered, all room service breakfasts are prepared freshly by the breakfast chef and it is a shame you did not enjoy it.

If you are back in Westport in the future I do hope you would consider using some of the facilities we have to offer, such as the Beech Health Club & Spa, go!trekking! Equestrian treks or the Bench Café Bar.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

We, 5 of us stayed night before we climbed croagh Patrick. Hotel so nice, very welcoming. Staff so helpful. The rooms were were spacious and modern. Bar food delicious and good value. Always a buzz in this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear lmbo,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we really appreciate your lovely comments and feedback.

I was delighted to see that you found our staff friendly and helpful and enjoyed our food. We work hard to earn these comments every day, and we will continue to do so.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Westport!

Kind Regards,