“Lovely hotel”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Athenry, Ireland
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Lovely hotel, very comfortable, food both dinner and breakfast was, service excellent, staff were very friendly and attentive, lovely grounds to walk around, pity it rained!! A short walk into town, or taxi was just 6 euro. Will be back, great value for money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mary4116
HumanResoucesManager, Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Mary4116,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Shame about the weather but still it’s great to hear you had lovely holiday in the Westport Woods Hotel.

We are also pleased to hear that you found the staff helpful, I will ensure the restaurant staff hear you found the service excellent and friendly!

Hope to see you soon,

Michelle Walsh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We had a comfortable stay at this hotel. The rooms are a bit dated, but the facilities are very good. Food was good, but service was mixed. Staff were pleasant and helpful, but on one of the evenings when I believe there was a marriage party staying at the hotel, speed of service suffered. It was perfect for a relaxing, long weekend getaway with family.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear wanderingskv,

I am glad to hear you had a nice stay in the Westport Woods Hotel. It was also good to hear you enjoyed the facilities and had a relaxing family weekend.

I’m sorry to hear about the service you received when a wedding was in the hotel. We do always try to have adequate amount of staff for these occasions, for future we will try have more so service doesn’t falter.

As of June 2014 Joanne Mc Eniff the owner, is redesigning many of the older hotel rooms in the Westport Woods Hotel. We hope this will refresh some of the dated rooms to enhance our guest stays.

Regards,

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I booked this accommodation on spec at the reception desk as there was no availability in Westport that same night. The only room available was the bridal suite at the rear of the hotel which was very poorly decorated, did not appear very clean and was freezing cold. The hotel in general is dated and in need of refurbishment. The receptionist at check in was abrupt, unfriendly and very slow. There was another desk assistant but she appeared to be doing admin, while the queue of guests increased at the only operating desk. A young female who escorted me to my room was very friendly and helpful, possibly a student. I immediately requested a different room when the door to the suite opened; it was large, gaudily decorated, smelly and freezing cold. I was shown to another room which appeared to be in an even worse condition and therefore was forced to return to the former. The mattress and pillows were cheap and very uncomfortable, however there was minimal noise during the night. The bathroom was large and the shower power average, not memorable. Pool area lovely, very nice staff and great facilities. Breakfast service was the worst I have encountered. On arriving at the dining room, I noted a very poor selection of cereals and juices (concentrated) not fresh, which were located outside the dining room on a table! Before I entered the dining room, I was informed by a rude abrupt waitress that breakfast would be over in 30 minutes, indicating to me that I should hurry up and go inside. In the dining room, I was served by the rudest foreign waitress that I have ever encountered, who had a perpetual scowl on her face. I asked for porridge, then honey which really annoyed her and she stormed off and banged it onto the table on her return. I was not impressed but the porridge was lovely. Every request annoyed her further. The cooked breakfast was very good quality, well presented and tasty as was the brown bread and preserves. The dining room is really lovely and relaxing as is the setting for the hotel. However I would not return or recommend this hotel because of the genuinely poor standard of accommodation and dreadful staff.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 38Mac38
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

I'll start with the good points. The staff were friendly and the bar opens late

We paid 170 euro for one night. Our room was grubby, dated and seems like it hasn't been done up since the 80's. Old style boxy tv, poorly plastered and patchy paint work on the wall. Lamps on the wall look like something from the early 70's. The bathroom had 2 silverfish, which are a sure sign of the dampness. (Which matches the smell)
It's located centrally enough, but there is way better places to stay in the locality for cheaper. I won't be staying there again.

It was April 2014 when I stayed here. I was in a friends room that had newer fixtures and fittings. But it was poorly done.

I'd say the hard working staff for there best with what they are provided with.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Betdownbiddy
HumanResoucesManager, Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Bettownbiddy,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property, we appreciate your comments and feedback. I was delighted to see that you found our staff helpful and friendly.

We are currently re-furbishing 16 of our older rooms and have invested heavily in the past two years in updating rooms, to enhance our guests stay.

Once again, we appreciate your comments and we look forward to another opportunity to host you at our hotel.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed as a family (2 adults, 2 small kids) over Easter. Absolutely brilliant kids club and activities. Spacious family room. The pool was excellent, as was the little toddler playroom. Lovely playground too, and you are close to the lake and the wooded area. Staff were friendly and helpful at all times. There was a problem with the shower in our room, which I duly reported as needing maintenance. Food was included in our deal, and was fine. Breakfast was plentiful. I would recommend for a family trip.

Room Tip: There are no safes in the room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank martinroundabout
Dear martinroundabout,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your family holiday with us! We strive to ensure that families enjoy their fun-packed stay with us, therefore we really appreciate your comments as we try hard each day to earn comments like these, and we will continue to do so.

We look forward to another opportunity to host you and your family at our hotel.

Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Great hotel to stay in with a family well run great rooms kids would love it .Kids club,pool,great outdoor areas.Take the 3 night dinner bed and breakfast option.Food ok, breakfast buffet style lacking in personnel service by staff.Dinner ok needs more choice.Staff great. Will be back to stay again.

Room Tip: "Ask for room at the rear of hotel overlooking lake brilliant."
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear seamus m,

We have taken your comments about our food on board, and we are delighted to inform you that we now have a new Head Chef, and a wonderful new Pastry Chef, who together are cooking up a storm!

Cork
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Just back from a 3 night first time stay and we were very very happy with the experience! The hotel was clean, the public areas and the bar were lovely and most importantly the room (and the others I snuck peeks at!) was very spacious with a lovely view of the lake out back.
There is a great kids club running morning and evening which gives the adults some time to themselves.
The pool, gym, steam room, sauna and jacuzzi were clean and spacious and never crowded. The guys working there were really pleasant.
I availed of the lovely spa and had two treatments which were great and given the hotel discount applied- very good value!
We had dinner at the hotel each night as it was included in our package and I've got to say, aside from Sunday night when service was slow due to a wedding downstairs, the dinner was exceptionally good for a hotel restaurant. The kids menu (tip- pick the roast of the day) was good and quality of food great- the staff- especially Lisa were great and very obliging- I asked for a different meat for the kids dinner one evening as they don't eat pork and there was no problem at all. Really excellent.
The adult menu changed each evening and the restaurant was consistently full. Well done!
The only real disappointment was breakfast- it was ok, but a little more variety (fresh fruit, yoghurt, eggs/omelettes to order) would raise it to the high standard of the rest of the meals.
The bar menu and food looked fab. The hotel is in a great location with ample parking. Everything is close by. The staff really couldn't have been nicer overall and particular thanks to Michelle for accommodating our little needs- and the fruit basket on arrival was really appreciated after 5 hours in the car.
We have stayed in family focused hotels before in Rosslare and Dingle- both great places.
But this is exceptionally good value for money and there's so much to do around- check out Silver Strand past Louisburg, cycle the Greenway, spend a day at Westport house- we have found our new 'staycation' hotel.

Stayed April 2014