1,211 results
All reviews kids club horse riding leisure centre breakfast train family break family hotel wedding venue reception area lovely hotel bit dated each evening both nights bar food breakfast and dinner food was lovely wedding reception great weekend
Reviewed 7 October 2008

Stayed here for a weekend in September with my husband. Had a great time from the moment we arrived to when we left. The leisure centre is fabulous and the spa peaceful. Had a great massage. The hotel is amazing with its green policy. You can see solar panels in the garden and they don't heat the hotel with oil but wood pellets. Great to see.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 17 July 2008

We went to Westport woods hotel for 3 nights B&B. On arrival the lobby looked very modern but unfortunately our room wasn't. We got one of the oldest family rooms down a long dark, dank corridor. Why we were so far away remains a mystery as we had a lot of luggage and a baby in a buggy! On our way to the room we kept passing very modern rooms- so when we got to ours I was disappointed, but it was clean so I didn't complain.
Our main reason for choosing to go there was the Kids Club, so my husband and I would get a break also - this was not the case and from my children's point of view very disappointing. Due to the credit crunch there were very few families staying in the hotel and therefore the club was very poorly attended. The staff were lovely but clearly inexperienced. My children aged 9 and 5 were allowed to come and go from the club as they pleased. My husband and I couldn't believe this and we asked the staff to ring us if they wanted to leave as it is dangerous to roam around a hotel on your own! The girl took our number but had to use her own mobile to ring us as there was none in the kids club room. The following night a new go kids worker was on duty and when asked what was tonights dvd he told us the same as last night!!
In the Bench cafe we had a nice meal on our first night but the service on Monday was woeful - we ordered drinks and then had to go looking for them, likewise with the food. The breakfast were fine-nothing exciting. No fresh fruit or croissants though. Service wasn't good either - we had to ask for coffee twice, and when we went to get our food there was no bread or cereal bowls. The staff would have needed to keep on top of this.
Overall the leisure centre was very good, but lacked a lifeguard in the pool area on one the evenings that we were in the pool.
Westport house (behind the hotel) was a great place to visit and well worth the £60approx. Our girls enjoyed their day there better then the 3 in the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank julesthereader
MickeyWest, General Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2009

Dear Julesthereader from Co Tyrone,
Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor Traveler Reviews. I am always delighted to review and learn what our customers are saying and thinking about our services. It motivates us into trying to rectify any problems that are staring us in the face and not doing enough to sort them out.
Some of the actions that we are presently implementing and have got positive comments from recent guest visits have been to introduce energy saving LED lighting in our bedroom corridors which throws light onto newly framed interesting local & international modern art. We are proud winners of the hotel & entertainment category of the National Green Awards and are doing as much as we can to reduce our carbon footprint.
During 2008 we opened 44 new bedrooms and upgraded another 30 of the older bedrooms. We hope to have a complete renovation of all our bedrooms over the next two years. To better communicate to our guests a new web site will be launched in early 2009 which will communicate the different types of bedrooms on offer, whether family, standard or deluxe and this will explain what is available and the various pricing levels. Log on at www.westportwoodshotel.com and have a look see for yourself. Your comments have helped us improve this to our guests.
Our go!kids! Club was the main reason for choosing this hotel for your family short break. It has been developed over many years and we have received much positive comment and recognition for it. We have invested in many new resources this year in the Club, with two new playgrounds, one for younger and one for older children. We have built a new enclosed play area where older children can run around safely on locally supplied timber wood mulch, play dodge ball, soccer and other group games. We have also added a new zip wire for older children and teenagers.
We have partnered with on-site Horizon Adventure Holidays whom can offer at a discounted rate for Westport Woods Hotel families, rope climbing, kayaking, archery, raft building and group activity games. They also offer surfing mornings and afternoons at a good surfing beach Carrownisky, about 20 km from the hotel.
The hotel owns its own trekking centre and offers discount pony rides to hotel guests and their families.
Our go!kids! club offers a registration for families for the different activities that are on offer, breakfast train with collection from the guest bedroom in the morning with supervision, swimming in our Beech Club leisure centre with supervision (an extra lifeguard is always on duty during this time), scheduled day trips to the bowling alley, cinema, Westport House, Bertra Beach, Pick a Pot & Paint it, Pony Riding and Pitch & Putt , all of these trips are supervised. Kiddies tea before dinner and various entertaining activities during the evening. We welcome adult participation and have a family event most evenings, table quiz, talent show, disco, cabaret, mini Olympics, blind date and family bingo. It is our policy to entertain the children and allow them enjoy themselves as much as possible with new friends that they meet at the go!kids! club. Safety is paramount and the play areas have been designed with this very much in mind, child safe external perimeter fencing to avoid the lake and car parks.
We have telephones in both our crèche area (when it is open) and also the go!kids! club. Unfortunately they did not seem to be used during your stay with us. Your concern about children running around the hotel unsupervised is very relevant in these times and to ensure a more improved supervision regime, at registration we will give numbered go!kids! bibs to smaller children that like their independence and will be spotted more quickly if they should leave to go looking for their parents. We also can organise a baby sitting service at an extra charge if parents need this service. Our kiddie organisers (KO's) get a full weeks induction, which includes first aid & security training, games & entertainment training, communication skills, and above all an awareness that the holiday should be fun for the children participating in the Club.
There should be a different children's DVD on every night of the week and it will in future be publicised on the go!kids! notice board.
My Head Chef Eamon Farrelly is presently reviewing our menu offering for 2009 and designing them from as much locally produced ingredients as possible. This will cut our carbon footprint and help make us one of the Greenest Hotels in Ireland.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Westport Woods Hotel & Spa in the not too distant future and show you and your family the improvements that you have helped motivate with your valuable assessment on TripAdvisor Traveler Reviews.
Regards Michael Lennon,
Westport Woods Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 11 July 2008

I stayed at this hotel in June of this year. My partner and I arrived at about 3pm on the Friday. When we went to check in, there were already 3 other couples sitting waiting to have rooms allocated, they had already checked in. When we checked in, we were told they had to see if the rooms were ready, so we waited with everyone else for about 15 minutes.

Finally, off we went, down a long corridor on the way to our room... all the way down this corridor the room doors were open and we could see lovely, newly refurbished, modern rooms. I thought great, the rooms look good. But when we eventually got to our room, it was awful! It was a like a throwback to the 1960's..really old furniture, really old decor... After a few minutes deliberation with my partner, I decided to go up to reception to tell them i was disappointed with the room...Again I made my way back up the long corridor past all the lovely new rooms... After telling reception of my disappointment, and pointing out there were new rooms free, we were moved to the top floor to an even newer nicer room.

I simply cannot understand why a hotel would put customers in their old rooms when the new rooms are free? Surely they want to promote the newer rooms of the hotel?? But it seems not to be the case.

The food - dont even go there, it was completely appauling - burnt, old chicken wings, withery salad leaves, dried leathery chicken with some sort of a sauce that had split, and a very unrecognisable desert . I did not complain about this as I had already had about the room, I am just chalking this one up to a very bad experience. I will never return to this hotel.

2  Thank Abbey2000
MickeyWest, General Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2008

Dear Abbey 2000,

Thank you for your review about your stay at my hotel recently. It is helpful for our customer care committee to get both positive and negative feedback from TripAvisor Traveler Reviews.

We have taken a number of customer focused actions to try and alleviate the problems and miscommunication that you encountered during your stay. Namely that we will actively communicate the different types of bedroom that we offer and charge according to their perceived standard and quality of furnishing etc. This will be communicated as , deluxe, standard and family bedrooms and will give you and our future customers a better knowledge of the best value available.

I have commenced purchasing prints, paintings and rugs to decorate our long narrow corridors in order to make them more interesting to hotel guests whom use them to travel from our Lobby, our Lakeview Restaurant & Bench Cafe Bar to the other end of our hotel where our Cedar Spa & Beech Club Leisure Centre are situated. Our bedrooms are conveniently centrally located to all of our services. These corridors have also had new environmentally friendly LED lighting added which will help the hotel reduce its carbon footprint and make it the Greenest Award Winning Hotel in Ireland.

Your comments about our food have encouraged my Head Chef Eamon Farrelly to design a new menu of fresh foods which will be produced on local farms and offer the opportunity to have the best value and freshest dining experience in Westport.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Westport and offering you a different experience of your last visit to the Westport Woods Hotel & Spa, with many of the ideas you have helped to motivate because of the effort you made with posting your comments on Tripadvisor.

Yours sincerely

Michael Lennon, General Manager, Westport Woods Hotel & Spa, Ireland's Greenest Hotel

Reviewed 25 June 2008

I was pleasantly surprised to find Westport Woods Hotel so good after some of the unkind remarks I read in reviews.

I found the food good, the rooms new and spotless with a digital tv and all the mod coms in the bedroom.

So don't be put off by out of date remarks - this hotel is aiming for 4 star and it won't be long before this happens

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MARYROY
Reviewed 24 June 2008

Has a very bad experience with this hotel. We stayed there for one night with a group of people. We had 10 rooms booked. Had a problem with one room as the shower was broken. When we brought the problem to the attention of the management they were extremely unhelpful and were quiet rude.We refused to pay the full rate in respect of the room with no water and their response was to pay the bill in full or they would call the guards, which they did!!! This was the managements way of dealing with the problem. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Needs new management!

• Stayed: June 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
MLennon, Owner/Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2008

Thank you for your comments regarding our Hotel. Such comments are always welcome and will be used by our customer care committee to help ensure a better service to you and your friends when you next return. My own recollection of the morning differs from your report. On departure I offered you and your two friends a discount rate because of the problem encountered with the shower in your bathroom. However this discount was refused and you wanted to set your own rate of discount. The Group Organiser who has stayed happily with us before, paid the difference and you received a Euro 50 discount for a shower that did not work properly but a bathroom that did have hot and cold water running upon your departure. I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused. Yours sincerely Michael Lennon, General Manager, Westport Woods Hotel & Spa