“A bit out of town”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Gillingham, United Kingdom
“A bit out of town”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed at this Hotel on a Coach trip with Grand UK The hotel was good with lovely evening entertainment from very tallented teenagers from a local school. The food was good but I did feel the staff struggled a bit with the amout of people they had to deal with. My only other comment was that the hotel was quite a way out of the town and had we wanted to walk round the town itself would have had to have a taxi to get into the town centre.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
HumanResoucesManager, Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Margaret R,

Thank you for taking the time to review the BWP Westport Woods Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the food in our Lakeview Restaurant and the lively evening entertainment in the Bench Café Bar.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to the BWP Westport Woods Hotel in the future.

Michelle Walsh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I have never written a negative review about an hotel before but this had to be done. This hotel was specifically chosen for my 12 year old daughter because of all the activities it provided. Before booking I personally rang to check the activities for her age group and was told there was Zip Wire, Archery, Horse riding and Surfing etc to name a few all part of the deal.
On arriving on Friday 18th July, there were no activities on, told I needed to register her at 5.30pm with the Go Kids. I did this and again asked for a list of activities and times, not available!! I persisted with this and was told There was Surfing available on Saturday at 2.45pm at a cost of 20 Euro!!!
I paid this , there was nothing else available. Arrived at reception at 2.40pm to be told they had no transport and a taxi would cost 40 Euro there and the same back. I was extremely cross and showed it, asked to have the matter recorded and suddenly a manager appeared and provided transport!!!
I left the next day after telling the manager on duty I would never be back, he apologized and took 50 Euro off the bill.
No use, the bottom line is THE WESTPORT WOODS HOTEL IS ADVERTISING A SERVICE WHICH DOES NOT EXIST. I spoke to the youth team involved with the younger kids and they confirmed this. The hotel has no facilities for any of these advertised activities.
Westport itself is fabulous, took my daughter to Westport House and she had an amazing time, facilities, staff etc were out of this world.
Definitely be back to Wesport but would advise anyone to stay clear of THE WESTPORT WOODS HOTEL. Apart from what I have just stated, the food was dreadful, breakfast service was from the 1960's and the portions were a joke.

8 Thank DeirdreM415
HumanResoucesManager, Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear DeirdreM415

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. All feedback is welcomed, both positive and negative.

I apologise that you felt we were not offering the service advertised in the go!kids & go!gang! club. This is a very big part of our business and receives loads of positive feedback from families.

The go!gang! club (teen club) has targeted activities for teenagers, including evening swims in the leisure centre, trips to the skate park, outdoor games, movie time and much more. It also includes the activities you mention in your review – these are organised in the afternoons and there is an extra charge for them. They mainly depend upon minimum numbers to go ahead.

Our surfing partner provides transport to the beach when there are 8 children or more. This was not the case on the Saturday you mention and parents were asked to bring their children to the beach. This was not an option for you so my management team tried to sort out the situation and drove your child and two other children to Carrownisky Strand. I believe everyone had a great time and enjoyed the surfing

I’m disappointed that you do not want to return to our hotel but if you do happen to be in Westport again, please call in and we’d love to look after you.

Kind Regards
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

On arrival at reception we had a long wait to check in as the lady was on her own. The reception desk itself (although in a huge lobby) is small and very dark with dark wood panelling on the walls - not very inviting at all. Our room was spacious enough for three people myself, husband and teenager. Children are everywhere in this hotel and although a mother myself and used to children I was only put out when they were very very noisy running down the corridors in the early morning. There is a total lack of information in the bedrooms giving no information on times for meals, swimming etc. and this needs to be addressed.

The staff at the restaurant were very nice and you could clearly see the pressure they were under but they kept a smile on their face. At breakfast it was very frustrating because it you had to wait 5 - 8minutes for the food to be refilled, this shouldn't have happened. The bar area was large and bright. We only visited the pool once it was just ok. To be honest I would not hurry back to the Westport Woods Hotel

3 Thank Sorcha70
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed on the first weekend of Easter break... Huge mistake! unattended kids running rampant all night . Drunks out side the room door cussing about the FA cup at 4AM. Worthless WiFi- worthless parking! If you want to stay at a 1970s US motel... Here ya go ! Oh!... While the wait staff in the dining room were very nice... The food was cafeteria at best! ... This place almost ruined our vacation

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Doug B
Madera, California
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is more of a resort hotel. The grounds are beautiful, the staff is friendly and knowledgeable. The rooms are very generous and well appointed. The restaurant and lounge are quite nice. When we were there, they had live music in the lounge. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank corkyg02
HumanResoucesManager, Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear corkyg02,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful.

We would agree that we are situated in an idyllic location which provides our guests with the perfect opportunity to relax. I am delighted that you enjoyed the serenity of our grounds and also the lively evening entertainment.

Once again, thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back to the BWP Westport Woods Hotel in the future.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This hotel is very focussed on family - lots, and I mean lots, of children. They even have a kids club which is fantastic if you are with a family. We weren't - so kids running in the corridor at midnight was a bit of a shock. The food was good both in the bar and in the main restaurant and the staff -we were served by Michael was very attentive. Room was pleasant and comfortable and it is situated mid way between the town and the harbour so pleasant walks at night - the weather allowed us to do this. The World Cup was on in the big screen but there was some entertainment on the Saturday night and it was very pleasant. Pool was sectioned off in lanes to allow adults -not just parents - to enjoy the pool.

Green Features: Very conscious on paper in the correct bin etc -not just the towels in the bath so this was good
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TwoHappyTravellers55
HumanResoucesManager, Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear TwoHappyTravellers55,

Thank you for your recent review of the BWP Westport Woods Hotel. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. June, July and August are indeed our busiest months for family holidays, in an effort to help prevent noise at night time we have introduced a 'bed-time train' which brings the children to their rooms when the go!kids! club finishes, our night porter also does frequent checks on our corridors to ensure noise is kept to a minimum.

I am glad that you enjoyed meals in both our Bench Café Bar and Lakeview Restaurant, and the nightly entertainment. We would agree that we are situated in an idyllic location and I am delighted to see that you enjoyed some evening walks.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay and we hope to welcome you back to the BWP Westport Woods Hotel in the future.

Dungannon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Just spent five wonderful nights in Westport Woods Hotel. Had been there a couple of times in the past and was pleased to see that all the things that we liked previously were still in place - the kids club is fantastic and the food on offer is on a level with a good stand alone restaurant.
It was also great to see that the rooms were refurbished and the hotel itself has been given a mini facelift.
The staff, of which there are plenty in every department, are superb and so helpful. My 8 year old son was playing football outside the lobby and the ball went up on the roof, a guy appeared a few minutes later with a ladder and retrieved the ball - that made the kid's holiday!!
One final point, my little girl left her Kindle in the room. We didn't realise until we got home and when I contacted the hotel, they said they had it and it was in the post - we received it two days later. Thank you.

Room Tip: 2nd floor is best as the way the number are done, there are no stairs to climb.
1 Thank Kevp184
Dear Kevp184,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that your daughter received her Kindle back safely. I was also delighted to see that you and your family enjoyed your holiday with us. I am glad to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed evening meals in our Lakeview Restaurant.

The go!kids! club is a central part of the hotel and they take pride in putting the fun into our family packages, it is great that your children enjoyed and took part in the club!

Once again, thank you for your review of the BWP Westport Woods Hotel. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards,