1,204 results
All reviews kids club horse riding leisure centre breakfast train great family hotel family break wedding venue reception area bit dated each evening both nights bar food friendly hotel breakfast and dinner food was lovely wedding reception great weekend
Reviewed 27 April 2009

Stayed in alot of hotels around Ireland and i would have to say this was the best, might not have got the newest room but it was very clean. The food and the service was out on its own and i might add that not one Irish person served us, the only item i had to ask for was lime in the bar and when i suggested that i would get some myself in the shop they then got some in. The girls in the Spa was great thanks Niamh & Claire.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2009

Me and my husband stayed here in February for 1 night (a Sunday night). We had been given a 150 euro voucher to use in any Brian McEniff hotel and decided to stay in Westport.
We had no problem with the room itself which was lovely and clean (however the bathrooms are a little dated in comparison to the bedrooms)
Our biggest gripe about this hotel was the service, or lack thereof! We had dinner in Westport town and decided to have a few drinks in the hotel bar. There was no sign of anybody to serve us for at least 10 minutes. Finally we were served and got our drinks.
At breakfast the next morning there was only 1 girl serving all the tables for breakfast, come on! First of all she took ages to appear, I asked the girl at the main reception if anyone was serving breakfast and was just brushed off with a "She must be in the kitchen" fob off intead of actually making an effort to look for her. When she finally arrived she was obviously really busy and ran off again straight away. I timed it and it was another 15 minutes before she cleaned our table and laid cutlery on the table. There was no apology for having to wait either. I heard other diners making the same comments about how slow the service was well.
The hotel bill was 130 euro's for bed and breakfast, we're so glad we had a voucher and didn't have to part with any of our own hard-earned cash. This hotel is not going to stay open for too long more unless they hire more courteous and professional staff.
It's no wonder this hotel is so far back in the ranking of hotels in Westport. I dread to think what the hotels behind this hotel are like!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cork_sme
MickeyWest, Michael Lennon General Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2009

Dear sme_cork

Thank you for your comments upon your recent stay at the Westport Woods Hotel & Spa.

Your comments are a valuable resource to my management team whom constantly review all of our guests comments and suggestions and develop actions to ensure that the negative ones do not happen a second time.

Over the last number of years, the Westport Woods Hotel has attained the Failte Ireland Optimus Best Practice Award which gives many of the tools and processes to ensure great customer care and experiences. I am glad to say that 90% plus of our guests agree that they are receiving good value and excellent customer care.

Unfortunately this was not the case when you stayed with us and I would like to apologise for the experience of slow service, lack of recognition by the waitress at breakfast and most especially by our receptionist whom could have tried to go and look for help for you.
This is not acceptable in these tough economic times when jobs are scarce and there are plenty of willing good service people available to give a great service.

I apologise once again and would like you to consider changing your mind and coming back to experience the Westport Woods Hotel & Spa as the majority of our guests do, good friendly and efficient service.

Thank you for your time, please email or call me if you want any further information about a return visit and I can ensure you will have an enjoyable experience this time.

Regards

Michael Lennon
Westport Woods Hotel & Spa

mlennon@westportwoodshotel.com
Tel: 098 25811
Mobile: 087 2605672

Reviewed 16 February 2009

Very nice hotel with attentive staff. Newer rooms are the best. Good bar and excellent leisure/gym facilities with pool. short taxi ride from the town and close to the harbour (quiet area). Restaurant Dinner is a little underwhelming but there are great restaurants in the town - Good selection at Breakfast though, which was good (buffet).

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mark A
Reviewed 15 February 2009

Myself and my buddy managed to escape from the domestic drudgery of babies and kids, running a home, a full time business and 9 horses to look after between us (you get the picture) to the Westport Woods Hotel and Spa on a cheap mid week break. It was recommended by a friend of mine in Kerry but gosh did she undersell it. First of all Westport is a beautiful scenic town with fantastic restaurant and superb pubs, the hotel itself I was told is a three star. I travel a lot so was not expecting much to be honest. I am surprised it is only 3 star. The rooms are newly refurbished & tasteful, the beds so so comfy, the modern bar pretty trendy and the leisure centre and Spa very stylish in a boutique sort of way. The food was excellent - great buffet breakfast and dinner was good pub food in quality and quantities...plenty of fish/seafood on offer as well as traditional Irish bacon & cabbage and I had a delicious sirloin steak. Amazing value too - you could have a dinner and 2 glasses of wine for Euros15 a head when I was there - now there's a recession busting deal! What was most impressive about the hotel to me was the fact that it is the most eco friendly hotel in Ireland...we got a tour in the morning as reducing carbon footprints is a bug bear of mine and boy was I impressed. The hotel runs on a wood chip boiler and solar panels, has a huge composting scheme, used dead timber from the acres of woods all around for fuel...I won't go on but its pretty impressive and seems the management left no stone unturned...even the polystyrene cases that food gets delivered in get crushed and sent off to be manufactured into CDs. If I could I would only support hotels with this kind of green drive.

The hotel has its own stables and as avid horse riders that was the main reason we were there. Having shown ponies and competed in the past we are both a bit cynical when it comes to commercial treking centres I will admit. But we were pretty impressed by the horses here which are all "hunter" type and nicely forward going, well behaved and very sensible - exactly what you want if you can ride and are going for a good ride out. The owner of the hotel Michael Lennon took us out personally and we had a fantastic ride across the most amazing beach you can imagine. Later in the afternoon we were due to ride up the mountain but instead we decided we couldn't leave the beach it was so much fun. For exhilerating beach riding - wow this is it. The hot ports on the way back were much appreciated also - Irish hospitality at its best!

What a hidden gem of a place, and can't believe it rights on my doorstep.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2008

The reason we chose this hotel was because of its link with horseriding and this was what we six ladies wanted. From the first phone call to us leaving, we were treated so well. The hotel and the staff went way above our expectations. The rooms are beautuful, modern and are cleaned to a very high standard and the showers are great. Restaurant, leisure centre, bar entertainment excellent and the staff really professional and friendly. For anybody wanting a horseriding experience, this is amazing. We've done the beach ride, and we had the time of or lives. The horses are well kept and will do just what you want. They are well mannered and unspoilt. We are all looking forward to going back to the hotel and doing the mountain trek next time. Thanks to the staff for making our stay so enjoyable

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends