“The best pub”

and 1 more site!
The Helm Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #13 of 70 Westport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I have the feeling we didn't have the best room in the Helm.
Everything was a bit cranky, the couch, the beds, the washing
machine leaked. It was more an appartment so we had room enough.
In the three days we were there it was never cleaned. (Run by men, maybe?)
But then the pub......what a place to be!! Crowded every night, you need to
make reservations to eat. Friendly waiters and waitresses, good food and
good music.

Room Tip: Absolutely go for the pub and take the poor rooms for granted, if only for a few nights
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Coby2013

Reviewed 13 April 2014

My family & I recently stayed at the Helm in their self catering apartments and the welcome as normal nothing short of wonderful. We were visiting Ireland has our father had recently passed away from Cancer and the support provided by the bar & staff and the owners family was nothing short of brilliant. I would recommend this B&B to anyone as a wonderful place to stay and wonderful food. Can not say anymore.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Of all the places I have been in Ireland, The Helm was probably the best.

The appartment was very big, clean and quiet. We had a view directly on the sea and on Croagh Patrick ! The breakfast in the morning was great ! I loved having a beer at the pub downstair and just going up to the appartment when I needed to. The food in the restaurant was delicious...

Westport is a very nice town, its worth the visit even though its not as big as other major cities, theres so many places you can go from there. If I ever go to Ireland again, I know I will go back to The Helm!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Olivier372
Reviewed 25 February 2014

On yet another visit to Westport we really enjoyed a fab family lunch. Pouring rain and stormy we took shelter in this most welcoming cosy Irish Pub Restaurant. Your first welcomed by the heat then very friendly staff and to top it all off the food was delicious. Its an Irish hidden gem. Thank you. from the Finns.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank finnlewis
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Outstanding service will most definitely be back, they catered for 22 girls on a football bonding weekend away and were so friendly, could not have been more helpful and they were great craic. Can't wait to visit it again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank grainne_mcglade
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My family have been using the helm for many years now and i think its about time i repay vinnie the owner and his staff with a revue that does this establishment the justice In over 25 years of staying at the helm not once has the service / the food or for that matter the drink been anything but first class. The restaurant is first class with an extensive menu. The accommodation well set out and comfortable. And last but certainly not least the craic in the bar is great. What more can i say if you are visiting Westport make your first call the Helm.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dave K
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

We were recommended this pub / restaurant by a cafe owner in Westport & we certainly were not disappointed. Greeted by a cheery bar man who looked after us straight away. Our menus for dinner were handed to us while we waited for our table. The 1st table offered was stuck in a corner where I was looking at a door ! We asked to be moved & that was no problem at all & we were escorted back to the bar. Within 5 minutes we got a lovely table 'in the window'. The food ... Wow .. Crab claws with garlic butter fab. Not a skinny claw in sight but big meaty claws were served with a lovely side salad. Mains I chose the dish of the day .. Scallops with Kelly's Black Pudding. Now this Kelly guy is quite famous round these parts & I can see why .. The nicest black pudding I've ever tasted. The scallops were just gorgeous. My husband chose the Turbot. If you go for this be very hungry. Huge portion! Our waitress was very helpful with our choice of wine & certainly knew her French from her Argentinian! Great buzz in this bar & while the bar which looked like a restaurant has now transformed back in2 a bar & the band has arrived. Super friendly staff. A definite must if visiting Westport. The only downer ... Carnations on the table ! I know they last FOREVER but we are not at a funeral. Want a cheap ever lasting flower get some heather or even cut some of the yellow gorse that's everywhere. Carnations .. Tack!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple