“Stay Here!”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Westport
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Stay Here!”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This hotel is great value, staffed by friendly, knowledgeable people. We stayed 2nights in a week long holiday in Ireland. Room was clean, quite, a very nice bar and restaurant on site.
I would happily recommend to others and return myself.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank kayL5534

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We had been through a stressful period recently and needed to get away for a bit of peace for a few days. The Plaza was perfect. We were originally booked into the Castlecourt, but there were difficulties with some rooms, so they moved us across the way, to the Plaza.

Room was v comfortable; comfortable bed; overlooking the enclosed garden area; Very peaceful and quiet; the breakfasts were quite impressive.
Would definitely recommend it; in fact, my parents-in-law are staying there soon for a few days, upon our recommendation.

1 Thank CiaranBP
ireland
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I, as part of a 'group' night away have just returned from spending a night in The Westport Plaza Hotel. I can honestly say I have never experienced anything quite as nice. From our arrival to our departure was simply, a fantastic experience. The Staff catered for our every need, nothing was too much trouble.. Extremely professional. The Dinner was sumptuous and of Michelin Star Quality, absolutely delicious, excellent service. The bedrooms were beautifully decorated and all facilities were spotless. I for one, will certainly be returning in the not too distant future. A fine example of how a Hotel should be. Professional, friendly, warm and providing excellent Customer Service.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Manchester
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I don't normally write reviews but thought this visit did warrant a review. Lovely hotel, would & will recommend. Staff v good, especially Ruairi on reception but a special mention to Julie in the Merlot restaurant. She was very attentive & went definitely went above & beyond to make our stay & meal comfortable. The hotel was perfect but will be booking again because of the staff.

• Stayed February 2014
Ireland
Reviewed 28 February 2014

This was a varied experience from good to very bad!! It was cold and wet outside and when we arrived our room was cold and we turned on the air conditioning and set it to high. It didn’t work and we rang reception to be told that they were able to sort it out from reception. Ten minutes later it was still not working – no air whatever was coming out of the system. Twenty minutes after arriving we rang reception again and one of the managers came up with an electric heater and he said that the system would start working soon but he offered another room which we accepted. There was no problem with it and it heated reasonably quickly.

We were pleased with the bedroom which was spacious, clean and well appointed. There were a number of good touches including a one free film per night, morning papers and free Wi-Fi. While there was no heating in the bathroom we left the door open and the heat from the bedroom took the chill off the bathroom. The following morning we found the shower outlet blocked with the water coming close to overflowing. Unfortunately for my wife, she had the second shower and had to stand in dirty water. We informed reception later and they said that they would fix it and this was very promptly and satisfactorily done. We found that there was a lot of shouting and laughing in the early morning hours from guests in the hotel courtyard. While it was annoying we eventually fell asleep. The next morning we happened to notice that the door to the balcony wasn’t locked and hence the noise. When we tried to close it the locking mechanism wasn’t working and it could not be closed. When this was reported to reception we were informed they were aware of this and that they would repair it. It was repaired later that day and there were no further problems. We had dinner two of the three nights that we stayed in the Westport Plaza and we were very pleased with the meal, the service and the ambience. Breakfasts were of a similarly high standard.

The overall standard of the hotel, meals and service was good but for the several failures already mentioned. However, the thing which upset us most was our very poor experience in the bar. While bar food was available, we only had drinks in the bar throughout our stay in the hotel, paid for in cash. Service was erratic and sometimes slow but when my wife left her handbag behind her at a table in the bar she very quickly noticed and I went back to the bar to retrieve it – within two to three minutes at most. Her handbag was already behind the bar (which was good) and the barman said “yes, you left your handbag here and you also left without paying your bill for food”. I explained that we had never eaten in the bar at any time during our stay and he again insisted that “You left without paying your bill”. The handbag was not returned to me and I lifted it from behind the bar. I accept that I may be wrong but could it be that it wasn’t being handed back until I paid the phantom bill? In fairness no one stopped me taking the handbag. I was becoming very annoyed and at that point another member of staff, a lady from behind the bar, told him to “leave it”. There was no apology whatever!! To be accused of dishonesty in such a way, in front of other guests at the bar, was outrageous and does nothing for the reputation of the Westport Plaza Hotel. It was also a public slur on our integrity.

On checking out I informed the receptionist of our experiences and she offered to have a member of management come to see me. I declined this and emphasised that I had no interest in talking further to anyone from the hotel, preferring to leave without any further stress. The receptionist was very pleasant and professional.

This visit could have been such a good experience and the hotel has much going for it. In life things go wrong and we accept this but too many problems occurred and the experience in the bar was totally inexcusable. We are not thieves; we are honest people who pay their way wherever we go and take nothing without paying for it – never – ever !!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SeacatIreland
JohnClesham, Manager at Westport Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us recently. I am sorry that you were not entirely happy with your stay. The main issue was your experience in the Plaza bar . I have investigated this and the cause was that the previous people sitting at the table that you were at had left their tab open and had left the bar. Then you came in and sat at the same table. It was our mistake when you came to collect the handbag that we thought that you were the person responsible for this tab. The supervisor on duty quickly realised our mistake and apologised. I also sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.

The heating in the room that you first checked into was working when we came up. It just takes a short while to heat up the room as our air conditioning has heating and cooling on demand. We brought up a portable heater for extra heat for you.

I also apologise for the maintenance items .We had them fixed as quickly as possible once they were reported by you.

We thank you for your positive mentions regarding our staff and our food and the hotel in general. I hope that you may in time decide to return to Westport and should that be the case please do not hesitate to ask for me personally as I would greatly value an opportunity to make amends.

Yours sincerely

John Clesham
Dublin
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Having stayed in the hotel on several previous occasions I was really looking forward to going back again. Went with my other half for a one night get away, as usual I was not disappointed. On checking in was delighted to be upgraded and so therefore as a bonus enjoyed the thermal suite, and wine and chocolates in the room which was a really nice touch. The room was spacious and the bed a large king sized bed, the only issue I would have and it might be down to my own shortsightedness is that the tv feels very far away from the bed, we didn't avail of the free movie but have done so in the past. The bathroom was very modern with a double sized shower and a jacuzzi bath. Would recommend use of the thermal spa, it has a beautiful outdoor jacuzzi which thankfully was lovely and hot, on a previous occasion it was only lukewarm. I also indulged in a facial which was heavenly, the facilities of the purpose built spa are lovely and it has a nice serene atmosphere, and I was loathe to leave it! We ate twice in the hotel, in the evening in the bar, perfectly fine and breakfast in the morning. It was nice to have freshly cooked breakfasts rather than the usual sausages and rashers languishing under a heat lamp, there was also a nice selection in the buffet. Never at any stage did we feel rushed and staff were attentive without being obvious. Staff at both check in and check out were very professional but friendly. Would definitely stay here again.

Ballybofey, Ireland
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We booked two nights, Sunday and Monday night, due to keen rates offered for midweek stay. It was 2 nights B&B, a bottle of wine if you eat in one of their restaurants in any of the 3 hotels (Plaza, Castlecourt and Westpoart Coast Hotels) fro €50 per night for 2 people. We upgraded to the 'Gold' experience for €20 per night. This was to involve; 2 quarter bottles of wine, 2 bottles of water, kitchen treats and handmade chocolates per day. The kitchen treats were cupcakes, very nice but not really necessary - I expected something savoury. The hotel is really nice and the staff very pleasant. On Sunday night we dined in the bar - starter of chowder was very good - had half a duckling and crab salad. Lots of very well cooked duck and my wife counted 27 crab claws! On Monday night we ate in the hotel dining room and had pork belly, tomato and mozzarella salad, followed by filet steak. All very good. The only hitch was that the staff in the bar tried to limit our wine choice to a Sauvignon Blanc as we had the inclusive deal. I asked the waitress to check with the manager and when the same story came back I asked to speak with the manager. She came back and said the manager said it was ok to have the Chardonnay. On the following night, in the restaurant, I just asked for the house red and , to my surprise, I was asked to choose which one I would like - why a different policy in the bar?

Overall, it was great stay in a lovely room, exceptionmally comfortable bed, robes, jacuzzi, one free movie per night and a great view towards Croagh Patrick. This was one advantage of the 'Gold' experience but I would not bother with it again as the standard rooms are very good in the Plaza.

Room Tip: Floor 3 has the best rooms with a possible view. The room numbers start at 600 on floor 3 and we had...