“Cosy and relaxing”

Ardmore Country House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Westport
Reviewed 7 August 2013

After expressing my needs - a twin room AND a view - the manager went all out to organise this (since our stay was long enough) by moving beds etc. we had a superb room and Mayo even put on great hot weather for us. But all was there for an enjoyable stay even if the weather had been lousy. Cosy sitting rooms, bar, restaurant, gardens. Great care is taken for detail and cleanliness. Fresh farm eggs for breakfast- pity there was no wholemeal bread - this was the only complaint I could find! So that's pretty good. Just a warning - if you want to eat in the evening - book in advance- they take care not to take on more than they can cope with so you may find yourself having to go out or eat at a time which is not your choice.

Room Tip: If you don't find what you want on a website - give them a call - they may be able to fix you up...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank easygoing003

Reviewed 31 July 2013

met at reception by a lovely lady who showed us to room , did show us the door lock thing but wasn't too put out with that , room was spacious and decor suited the overall feel of the place , but only air con was opening windows which made the room a little stifling , location is not the best for main town , nice views at front of hotel (although its more of a large B and B ) breakfast was fine but plate very greasy, unlike other recent review we were offered plenty of refills and more toast etc. all told nice stay but not really central enough for us personally , but great nights sleep was had it what was a very comfortable bed also one of the better prices we paid on our tour of ireland

Reviewed 31 July 2013

We arrived at Ardmore to a very warm welcome from David. he made us feel at home right away. The setting was so tranquil and the hotel so immaculate and tastefully decorated. The hospitality and individual attention we received from David, pat and Noreen Hoban made us feel part of the family. They couldn`t do enough for you, always on hand when you needed them. they booked a fishing trip for my huband too which was a great experience. The food was outstanding and was cooked by Pat himself. Breakfasts too were superb. We cannot fault anything about this hotel and will be back.

Room Tip: All rooms looked amazing. We had a superior seaview room but I`m sure all the other rooms were equa...
2  Thank teacher0048
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We arrived at our destination, more a large B&B or guesthouse than a hotel, to receive a cold reception from the owner of the house. She was quite unwelcoming and rude from the start and my inclination was to leave immediately, however as the accommodation was booked online and we would have been charged full price to cancel. On arrival, we were given a tutorial from the proprietor on how to lock the front door, how NOT to bang the bedroom door against the chest of drawers and how to use the jacuzzi bath!! We found the room was basic, very dark with too much furniture in it. Movement of the people in the room above us was very intrusive. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were too soft and inadequate. The breakfast is not served until 8.30 am which is very restrictive if one has plans for the day. The views from the dining room were of derelict buildings on the quays in Westport, I struggled to find the idyllic views talked about. The breakfast menu was very limited and be careful not to order out of sequence or you'll be told to start you order from the top of the menu! When we requested more teabags for our room we were told that two cups of tea could be got from one teabag. At breakfast on our first morning there, the proprietor was downright rude as she passed me on route to a table and was abrupt in instructing me to "to get out of her way". We were never asked if we had enough to eat or drink, or if we needed anything else. As everything was brought from the kitchen to the table there was no opportunity to help oneself. The toast was cheap white bread, the natural yogurt was lumpy and insipid (seemed cheap) and there was no top up or second helping of tea or coffee. This accommodation was totally overpriced and bad value for money and I resent having spent three nights there at premium prices whilst being treated so badly. There was no atmosphere in the house, no engaging talk or laughter....

4  Thank MojoKerry
OwnerH, Owner at Ardmore Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Hi MojoKerry,

We were very disappointed to read your review of your stay with us. The vast majority of our guests have a very enjoyable stay at Ardmore Country House, which you can clearly see from our very positive recent reviews both on TA and other websites we deal with. The most disappointing aspect of your review is that you did not bring any of your points to my attention during your 3 night stay with us, as I am certain they could have been resolved to your satisfaction.

We are a small family run country house hotel. A member of the family is always on hand to ensure our guests have a wonderful stay with us. I am very surprised that you found any member of staff to be "cold", "unwelcoming" or "rude", but I apologise if this is the case. Rest assured, I have discussed your comments with all members of staff.

As we are a small country house without a night porter we show all our guests how our door locks so that if they wish to return after midnight they will be in a position to let themselves back in. As regards being shown how to work the Jacuzzi bath, we do this as sometimes our guests are unsure how to work it. I apologise if you found this upsetting.

I am surprised that your room was not to your liking. All our bedrooms are larger than a standard hotel bedroom and decorated in keeping with a country house style - this is something our guests always complement us on. A full description of the hotel, including high quality pictures of our bedrooms, are available on our own website as well as on all popular booking engines, including the one you used. Our pillows are high quality goose down and feather but if these were not to your liking, I could have provided you with a harder pillow had you just mentioned this to me during your stay. I'm glad you found the bed comfortable.

I feel that your review of the views from the restaurant is untrue. The view are of our gardens, Clew Bay and the harbour. I cannot understand where you see these derelict buildings that hindered your view so much.

I am surprised that you found our breakfast menu restrictive, as it is quite varied and includes freshly squeezed juices, cereals, porridge, scrambled/ poached/ fried or boiled eggs , a traditional Irish breakfast and fresh fish to name but a few. Our breakfast is cooked to order for each guest. We think this is a much better option than having hot food sitting in the restaurant in a bamboree. As regards the top ups/ second helpings of tea and coffee, I remember your stay with us and I personally remember returning to your table with two fresh cups of coffee each morning when you finished your pot of tea. Our natural yogurt is from an Irish artisan producer and is a recent Gold Award winner from the Irish Food & Wine Magazine. I am sorry that you did not enjoy it but I must stress that it is not cheap! As regards the toast, I'm not sure what type of bread you would have liked your toast made from.

I have to refute the statement about a staff member telling you to "get out of her way". This is something which I cannot accept as being true.

All in all, I feel your review of your stay with us is more than a little harsh. A lot of your points could have been resolved had you brought them to my attention during your stay with us. I have tried to contact you by telephone (leaving you a voicemail) but you have not returned my call, If you do have a chance, I would be happy to discuss the above further with you. We have taken your criticisms on board. I apologise that you did not enjoy your stay with us; this is very much the exception.

Kind Regards

David Hoban

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Really lovely setting with views toward Clew Bay and Croagh Patrick, tidy gardens and country decorating inside. All the modern conveniences except air conditioning - which we could have used up in the loft rooms on this exceptionally warm summer evening, but is probably irrelevant most of the time. Loft rooms are NOT for tall people! But very cute, clean & well appointed, and washed in lovely sunlight coming in from the skylights (no guarantees implied!). Breakfast was delicious - both the full Irish and other choices - and the service was friendly and just attentive enough without being overbearing. Would be really nice for a romantic weekend getaway. Will stay again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 July 2013

This is our second visit to the ardmore house hotel and we'll be back. It's ideally situated on the quays in Westport. The staff are very friendly and keep the hotel immaculately clean. Great breakfast and big comfy rooms.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We spent a fantastic weekend in the Ardmore house hotel, we received a wonderful welcome. The room was fabulous and the food was the best I have had for breakfast in an Irish hotel. The hotel is beautifully situated close to the Quay and it's restaurants cafes and bars - treat yourself !!

• Stayed: June 2013