“Come hungry!!! ”

Ranked #3 of 39 Restaurants in Monaghan
Price range: US$16 - US$21
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Monaghan town's longest established family run restaurant (1983). Sean cooks the food, Aisling runs the restaurant (makes the most superb desserts) and downstairs Kevin is famous for his Gin collection! Renowned for our 30 day dry aged beef aged and butchered in-house by Sean. House specialties include Garlic Mushrooms and Chicken Monaghan. Over 75 premium gins from around the world in stock! Kevin's gins have featured in the Sun newspaper, Daily Mail and the Sunday World. Andy's - the largest seller of non-alcoholic gin in Ireland, according to Richmond Marketing. We have a private dining room that can accommodate up to twenty people for functions
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I came here after reading reviews on TA and wasn't disappointed.
I had to try their special recipe "Chicken Monaghan" and before I got it the waitress gave me some spicy wedges on the house.
Then, the chicken Monaghan came. IT WAS HUGE. 4 spuds and their was nearly 1/2 a chicken with their amazing sauce. I wasn't really hungry but managed somehow to eat it all. It was absolutely scrumptious.
The service was genuine and impeccable. I will definitely go out of my way to get back here again.
SO SHOULD YOU.

1  Thank TheMongrel1

Hello
A great review and even a photo - very hard to beat. Your review proves that Tripadvior actually does work. I hope that some people do not have expectations set too high - we are bar food and not fine dining and our prices reflect that. I was recently in a restaurant and two of my party went home and had a sandwich! I would be mortified if that happened to any of my customers here in Andy's. We like to think that we offer value for money as regards our portions. I think if we did not, we would all be reading about it here on Tripadvisor! This electronic guidebook is certainly changing the face of the restaurant industry and that why I make a point of writing to you all personally not every hotelier and restaurateur has realized this. Since you took the time to write a review and even take a great photo of the bar I had to reply - so thank you very much.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Best place to eat place, fantastic food and atmosphere plenty of choice especially for those with dietary needs to be catered to. Lovely staff especially the ever friendly Caroline. but def come hungry as portions are large.

Rach
Lovely to read your positive review. The Plaice is a lovely dish and as you acknowledge we certainly do not hold back on the portion size - everyone loves value for money. Offering dishes that are suitable to customers with dietary requirements has become very important - we even offer Coeliac Beef! It is so important today to differentiate from the rest of the competition, and your review proves that it is noticed, so thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Was in Andy's at the end of May with my brother. When Kevin realized we were interested in craft beer he became even more enthusiastic and engaging. We tried a number of the beers he had to offer and then had a very enjoyable meal. To make a long story short; great beer, great food, great surroundings and equally great company. I look forward to going back again at the end of July.

Padraig

The local blonde beer "Brehon Blonde" will be on tap from Friday, so really looking forward to that. No doubt by the next time you are over I will have made multiple changes to my craft beef selection! Looking forward to seeing yourself and Paul the next time your over. Don't forget to bring those couple of American craft beers - we can do a beer swap. Hope you enjoyed the wedding too.

All the best

Kevin

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Andy's has the best garlic mushrooms and is well known for this. They have a good menu selection, my only complaint would be that maybe the portions are too big! The service is good even when they are busy.

Hello Kathryn,

Our Garlic Mushrooms certainly do get mentioned regularly here on Tripadvisor. Surprisingly they are so simple to prepare. As you mentioned we certainly do not scrimp on portions here in Andy's. Nothing annoys me more than order garlic mushrooms and they end up costing €1 per mushroom! I suppose it is most likely for slips to happen at particularly busy times - we do our best, so it is lovely to see that you acknowledge this.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We are a family of five and the locals recommended Andy's. I think we had one of the best meals there on our two week stay in Ireland. Caroline our server was very gracious and the service was excellent. Prices were reasonable and we all left very satisfied.

Hello Jackie,

Delighted to hear that you enjoyed your meal us. You may now place your trust in Tripadvisor when deciding where to dine as it is an excellent resource in a strange town or when you just do not know where to stay or dine, (although locals tend to be very informative alsoand cannot be dismissed). I take Tripadvisor very seriously that is why I personally write to each reviewer - very few businesses will. We recently were highly recommended as a family restaurant by a food magazine produced by a national retailer - as you can imagine we were very pleased about this. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your vacation and the food was just as good!