“Excellent stay”
Review of Ashleigh House

Ashleigh House
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Monaghan
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Perfectly located within walking distance of everything in the town. Stayed here with a few friends for a girlie weekend. Landlady was a perfect host giving advise on where to go out and eat nearby, very family atmosphere. Rooms were modern and very clean. Would highly recommend

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Goldsmith4
There are newer reviews for Ashleigh House

Reviewed 4 December 2011

I had not booked any accommodation when I arrived in Monaghan.I was on my way to one of the bigger hotels when I came across Ashleigh House.I was very tired after a long journey so I thought I would try it for one night. The lady who answered the door was very welcoming and showed me to a lovely room. It was clean,modern and very comfortable.There was a very cosy sitting room with a beautiful open fire in which I sat in for a while(drinking a pot of tea) chatting to other guests. I had a great nights sleep followed by a really hearty breakfast.The soda bread was wonderful and there seemed to be no end of tea and toast.
On the strength of this one night I decided to stay there for the rest of my four day visit.It was very well situated in the town which made it easy for me to get about.I never made it to the big hotel as I was very satisfied with this accommodation and saved myself a lot of money!
I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank josephine H
Reviewed 24 November 2011

My husband, sister and I recently stayed in this lovely place. On our arrival the owner a lady called Anne was so welcoming...she was busy at the desk and led us into a very cosy sitting room. The bedroom was very modern...the bed soooooo comfortable and the showers very efficient. We are lacto vegetarians and Anne served us beans, eggs, tomatoes, and mushroom with soda bread (so delicious) for breakfast. Anne was very helpful in advising us on suitable venues for our daughter's wedding in 2013 . Other guests in the hotel were friendly and there was a great atmosphere each morning in the breakfast room.
We had a really lovely time at Ashleigh House and I will certainly book for 2013 as our daughter will get married in Monaghan and will have her receipton at the Hillgrove Hotel. Thank you Anne for suggesting the Hillgrove. We will certainly be booking rooms for August 2013.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the building are quiet..even though it is on the main road.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank onja_d_nw10
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I was visiting my friend who was over from the states with her 3 month old baby, visiting her husbands family. I'd booked into the Ashliegh with some trepidation after reading previous reviews, so when I got into town and met up,, we decided to sneak up to the front door, peek inside, and if it looked scary - run away as fast as we could to the next hotel we could find.

Well, I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised. It was beautiful, clean and very coty. The lady who runs it is obviously very effecient, but super-friendly and accomodating. We needed somewhere that my friend could pop in and out of during the day to top up the milk levels of the baby, and even though it was just me that was actually staying there - they couldn't have been more accomodating. Her husband carrying the stroller up and down the stairs, and even when the chambermaid tripped over the stroller we'd left outside the room - while she was trying to get past carrying a huge bale of fresh towels - SHE couldn't stop apologising to US!

The lounge is super-cosy, complete with two podgey, sleepy kitties on the over-stuffed sofas and a fire. I'd booked a single, but got a very spacious double, beautifully decorated and warm with lots of big squishy pillows and cushions, and a large en suite with full sized bath and shower. Even the telly had crystal clear reception (very important for us telly addicts!).

The breakfast was delicous, a full Irish, cereal, toast and endless cups of tea. It really was the best value hotel I've ever stayed in - I paid 35 Euros for the night!

Top marks from me!

I can't reccomend this place highly enough, and can't relate ti to the previous reviews I read......

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank KatiemaryR
Reviewed 21 June 2011

I stayed with my boyfriend in this B & B while attending a local wedding. Firstly there was no reception when we entered the B & B, we had to search for the landlady. She was less than friendly, a very sharp character who just pointed to where our room was and then left. The room was very old-fashioned and on top of that it was freezing cold, as it was located at the back of the building. VERY musty smell in the corridor and there was no hot water in the taps. Breakfast was small but satisfactory, she told us she would knock on our door to call but never did. When we paid for the night, she didn't even say thanks or how as your stay or anything. Worst part was we paid €70 for a very mediocre service. Won't be returning here.

Room Tip: Request a front room, where sun enters.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank toomanymuffins
Reviewed 6 June 2011

My boyfriend and I booked this B and B for one night as we were attending a wedding in a nearby hotel. Our room was small, totally outdated and stank of stale smoke. The breakfast the next morning was horrible - deep fried cheap sausages and tasteless eggs. When we were checking out I mentioned to the landlady that our room smelled and she just brushed me off saying that a guest last week had smoked in the room (although there was a no smoking sign on the bedroom wall). The room smelled like someone had smoked in it for the last twenty years! This place needs to up it's game in a competitive market where consumers are demanding more for their money. At 70euro for this level of accommodation we felt totally hard done by. Would NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AnnetteW_11
Reviewed 18 April 2011

Just back home from a brilliant weekend at the monaghan stages rally, where we stayed at the meadows bed & breakfast conveniently located right beside the heart of the action. The rooms were excellent and our host Trudy looked after us so well, nothing was too much, our breakfast was much better than most of the hotels we have stayed in for similar events. In these challenging times we got excellent value for money, and will definately be back again next year. Oh yea the night life in the town is very good especially Terrys Bar and The Squealing Pig thanks for the memories monaghan.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monaghan
Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
Errigal Country House Hotel
Tullybryan House B&B
Tullybryan House B&B
#2 of 5 in Monaghan

Been to Ashleigh House? Share your experiences!