“Loved this hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Monaghan
County Westmeath, Ireland
“Loved this hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Brillant hotel for families, our 3 kids 5,10,11 loved it here, was loads to do for kids, kids club was safe & staff at it were lovely, pool was spotless kids loved it, very funky hotel, games room a great idea for kids, food at bar was fab but too expensive kids menu was good value though € 8.50 for main course, dessert & drink plus menu had good choice kids could get half portions of adults menu, not much to do in monaghan but armagh was just 20 mins drive...we enjoyed our stay, ideal spot for families who want a relaxing break with kids enterrained in a safe kids club with lots to do...would stay again for sure..staff at reception were very friendly and helpfull,

1 Thank doolans2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Strabane, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

On arrival I found the hotels decor rather chavy and cheap. The hotel itself was clean and bedroom to a good standard. I was very disappointed that restaurant was not opened, staff said this was due to not being busy but yet the bar was packed and we couldn't get a seat to have a bite to eat. Breakfast brought even more disappointment, as it took staff so long to bring tea that breakfast was finished, my cutlery and cups were dirty and I had to ask for a clean seat! I do not know wot qualifies a hotel in receiving its star rating but I do not agree with this hotels star rating and as wonderful as Monaghan is as a town I will not be returning to this hotel.

1 Thank 06harry
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Owner at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Harry

Thank you for your review. Regarding your comment on our decor, "cheap and chavvy", I would like to point out that one month ago, we completed a refurbishment of our reception and lobby, costing over quarter of a million euro, using some of Ireland's top designers. I was very surprised to read that the restaurant was dirty at breakfast time, as this is certainly not the norm. I can only assume that as we welcome a lot of families to the hotel, that the people who were in your seat previously, were perhaps children. But I assure you that each area is cleaned thoroughly after use.
Monaghan, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the excellant customer service provided by DIANE O'REILLY at all times.
She is a pleasure to deal with, very enthusiastic, competent and dedicated to her work.
An excellant ambassador for the hotel.
Well done and thank you
ELAINE O DOHERTY

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Patrickodoherty1968
Tyrone
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed here for a friends wedding and I was very plesently surprised!! The food was delicious the decor was great the whole hotel oozed class and sophistication. The bedrooms were a great size and beds very comfy also very tastfully decorated. Will definitely stay here again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Noplacelikehome61
California City, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I am home from California to attend a family wedding and Attended the hen party last weekend in the Hillgrove Hotel and I was delighted at the over all experience. The rooms are modern and very spacious, and the spa service was a real treat. On returning home to my family's house in Co Derry I realised I had forgot my purse in the room safe with some very very important personal belongs. However after calling the Hotel my immediate feelings of fear and panic were quickly changed to that of reassurance, by an amazing young man called mike. He quickly located my belonging and assured me that he would personally organise their return. Mike personally travelled across the border to Armagh to reduce the risk of my items getting lost in the post, and posted them first class to my parents home. I received my purse the next day, safe and sound. I was completely blown away by the kindness of a stranger. The flowing day I received a call from Mike just checking that I had received my package. Mike's quick actions have saved me a lot of heart ache. It is this type of kindness that makes you miss Irish people. Thank you Mike from the bottom of my heart. I will be returning to this hotel the first chance I get.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mairead O
Donegal Town, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

After checking in we went straight to the pool which was very clean there is a playground outside from the pool so the girls couldn't wait to get outside to try it out. Overall I'd say the hotel is perfect for a family break good value, clean, modern and comfortable very family friendly :)

4 Thank YvonneAva
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I was invited to a wedding in the Hillgrove hotel and was very impressed overall. The location is beautiful, as is the decor. Everything is very modern and clean. I did not stay over so I cant comment on the rooms but if they are anything like their function rooms/ reception area then im sure they would be great. When we initially arrived we spent time in the bar which had nice unique furniture and staff were friendly. When the function room was ready and dinner was served I was pleased to see how professional the waiting staff were. Everything arrived and was cleaned promptly. We had two starters which were delicious. My only complaint is that the main course portions are so small! Two pieces of meat accompanied by two scoops of mash and one spoon of vegetables, I honestly dont understand how they could expect this to fill anyone. The gravy also was very watery and didnt taste like gravy at all! That is my only complaint and apart from that everything else was perfect. From reading previous reviews I have noticed that management become quite defensive when they receive any criticism so with all respect please realise this is constructive criticism and not intended to offend! The hotel is excellent apart from this and I had a very enjoyable evening here.

2 Thank donne9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monaghan
Four Seasons Hotel and Leisure Club
#4 of 4 in Monaghan
Armagh City Hotel
Armagh City Hotel
#1 of 1 in Armagh

Been to Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa? Share your experiences!