“a tiny bit disappointing”

Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Monaghan
Reviewed 3 August 2014

my last review for here was in march, and on this visit I was a little disappointed I,m afraid. I took my mum here to the bar on Wednesday night for the special value 3 course meal for 23.95, as we were choosing our meal we were informed that the special price did not include school or public holidays, which basically meant in july and august there were no 23.95 special offer menu. I don,t think this was very fair, as it did not say that on the facebook page, and as we were on a budget that was on e of the reasons we went on a midweek night. anoide was very attentive as were the barstaff and waiters, the food was nice, not terrific but ok, as the chicken was very dry the garlic potatoes were mushy mashpotatoes with a hint of garlic and mekted cheese on top, we barely tasted these, we were asked if everything was ok but we did,nt really like to complain, we would go again and dine their, but just felt it was,nt upto the usual high hillgrove standard.i have to say though that the new improvements are excellent. anoide and liam looked after us very well too. don,t mean to be so critical, because we have been dining at the hillgrove for over thirty years, and have always found it to be excellent.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,506)

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed in this hotel Thursday 31st July .Party of 3 with 1 child
Hotels were excellent and good value for money. Fantastic feel to hotel and food was excellent and such a fantastic choice.
Staff were all lovely : friendly and helpful .Have to say special thank u to Michelle. You do a brilliant job Michelle
Really enjoyable short stay

1  Thank jayney14
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Have been tithe Hillgrove Hotel & Leisure Centre several times but this was the first time we stayed...room was extremely spacious and decor updated...no noise at all ...had dinner and breakfast and could not fault either...would highly recommend a stay to anyone ...staff were friendly and we were made feel very welcome ...will def be back

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank francessannh
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Staff were fantastic really looked after us we had a small child with us the hotel is so fantastic we stayed on until late Sunday evening didn't want to leave facilities are brilliant with child pool as well as adult pool steam room sauna etc will definitely be back and recommend it to anyone

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank csatle
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel last saturday evening as friends of ours were getting married nearby. There was also a wedding going on in this hotel as it was pretty much jam-packed with people both on the afternoon of our arrival and the morning of our departure. We had been on a holiday in Ireland and had been in various b&b's and hotels all over the country in the weeks before. This was by far the worst place we stayed and the place where we spent the most ! 160 euros B&B for a room that was ok, a breakfast that reminded me of a pretty squalid canteen, and as we paid the bill noone who even was interested to know how our stay was. They also took 50 euros immediately off my credit card when I booked which was approx. 2 months ago so therefore I really hadn't the option to change my booking. A lot of people who attended the same wedding as us stayed in B&B's in the locality and all paid nearly half of what we did and had only positive things to say about their place and their host. The hillgrove seems to think it is a top hotel in my humble opinion it is awful - we'll certainly never go back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fionac2772
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Owner at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Fiona

Thank you for your review, which I think is highly unfair. But of course you are entitled to your opinion. Our restaurant, is beautifully decorated in plush furnishings and with gorgeous views. Therefore, the 'squalid canteen' remark, I cannot understand. As for the B&B being cheaper than the Hillgrove Hotel, I think most people would expect that. We are a four star hotel with excellent facilities, which also includes a Leisure Club, which is all included in the price of your stay. I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay and the other 'disappointing' experiences you had in Ireland, which you pointed out in your other reviews.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Brillant hotel for families, our 3 kids 5,10,11 loved it here, was loads to do for kids, kids club was safe & staff at it were lovely, pool was spotless kids loved it, very funky hotel, games room a great idea for kids, food at bar was fab but too expensive kids menu was good value though € 8.50 for main course, dessert & drink plus menu had good choice kids could get half portions of adults menu, not much to do in monaghan but armagh was just 20 mins drive...we enjoyed our stay, ideal spot for families who want a relaxing break with kids enterrained in a safe kids club with lots to do...would stay again for sure..staff at reception were very friendly and helpfull,

1  Thank doolans2014
Reviewed 28 July 2014

On arrival I found the hotels decor rather chavy and cheap. The hotel itself was clean and bedroom to a good standard. I was very disappointed that restaurant was not opened, staff said this was due to not being busy but yet the bar was packed and we couldn't get a seat to have a bite to eat. Breakfast brought even more disappointment, as it took staff so long to bring tea that breakfast was finished, my cutlery and cups were dirty and I had to ask for a clean seat! I do not know wot qualifies a hotel in receiving its star rating but I do not agree with this hotels star rating and as wonderful as Monaghan is as a town I will not be returning to this hotel.

1  Thank 06harry

Dear Harry

Thank you for your review. Regarding your comment on our decor, "cheap and chavvy", I would like to point out that one month ago, we completed a refurbishment of our reception and lobby, costing over quarter of a million euro, using some of Ireland's top designers. I was very surprised to read that the restaurant was dirty at breakfast time, as this is certainly not the norm. I can only assume that as we welcome a lot of families to the hotel, that the people who were in your seat previously, were perhaps children. But I assure you that each area is cleaned thoroughly after use.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Monaghan
Four Seasons Hotel and Leisure Club
#4 of 4 in Monaghan
The Glencarn Hotel
The Glencarn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Castleblayney

Been to Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa? Share your experiences!