“Nice hotel in a good location but a few bad points”

Tullamore Court Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tullamore
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice hotel in a good location but a few bad points”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights. The room was ok but nothing special. For some strange reason the light fittings in the bedroom and the bathroom had no cover and you can see wires hanging out which a bit sloppy for a 4 star. The food was decent in the bar/bistro but their restaurant wasn't actually open (this was a Tuesday and a Wednesday) even though they have menu's up on their website with no mention of it not being open this was a disappointment as we were planning on eating there the first night before a long work day the next day.
On the 2nd night my fiancée worked late and we only made it to the bar around 9:50 to get food the person said they had stopped serving food, it said 10pm on the menu's but we didn't want to make a big deal so we had to go back up to the room and order room service which for me was just a bit silly as I am sure the same person had to make the food. It says 10:30 on the room service menu so there should have been no issue whatsoever but when we rang for room service at 10 after walking back from the bar the answer was "I'll see if the chef is still there" which again I just felt they just didn't really go that extra yard to help us out. My fiancée had been in work for 13 hours so we just wanted to eat and this was all very annoying. I've been in 4 star places where the staff go above and beyond this was certainly not the attitude here. So that and the average room is why I have to give it an average score. I understand people want to go home but at the absolute least you would expect that a 4 star hotel stick to the times or go a few minutes over not cutting service early.

I must say the gym and pool is top class. They gym has really good well maintained equipment and I would give that area 5/5 but the other bits just really dragged the whole stay down.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank David R
TCH-Marketing-Dpt, Manager at Tullamore Court Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Firstly we would like to apologise that your stay with us was not up to the high standard that we set for ourselves. We are sorry to hear that you were not accommodated in Bar Food as all residents are able to order food until half ten at night. Our Bar Food department have been notified of this issue and should not happen again in the future.

I also would like to thank you for your comments regarding our restaurant page on the hotel’s website. I have updated this on our website to reflect that opening days for the restaurant.

We hope that you will consider us again if you are staying in the area.

Catherine Killeen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Czech first
Daingean, Offaly, Ireland
Reviewed 31 March 2014

On Sat. March the 29th 2014 I attended a strictly come dancing fundraiser for Clonmore Harps GFC. In the function room the bar ' management ' would only allow plastic tumblers to drink from. I have never before had the indignity of such a request in any hotel or bar in over 3 decades of drinking. To ask any man of nearly 50 years of age to sup his Guinness in such a primitive fashion is absurd. To add insult to injury there were no tables provided to even put a drink on, so we were forced to use the floor. There was a female member of staff on duty at the bar and she found herself unable to utter a 'thank you' when she took your money. Surely a basic requirement for dealing with the public is good manners. Anyway, I insisted that I be allowed a real Guinness glass which I had brought from the main bar and so I had to use the same glass all night. Well that's it and all about it and you can be assured that I will not be attending any weddings or functions at this venue in the near future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Stephen K
TCH-Marketing-Dpt, General Manager at Tullamore Court Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your time with us.

We have hosted many strictly come dancing events and as these events are predominately theatre style it does not allow to have tables, due to this glassware would be left on the ground or under chairs so we took the decision to use plastic. The use of plastic is only used for this type of event for everyone’s safety.

We have spoken to all female bar staff regarding this matter and agree that a thank you from any member of staff should be a given.

Should you wish to speak with me as previously requested please feel free to contact me at any time.

Regards,
Philip O'Brien
Dublin
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed here for one night recently using a Dealrush voucher. To be honest I didn't have particularly high expectations but I'm glad to say I was pleasantly surprised! I'd asked for a quiet room as I don't sleep well when away from home. We had a room on the second floor and we felt like we were the only guests in the hotel as it was so quiet. Complimentary bottled water and a teapot in the room were much appreciated and we slept soundly the whole night. The deal included mains and a glass of wine each and the food was really lovely - salmon for me and a steak( small supplement) for my husband. The only slight niggle during our stay was some banging of pipes from the heating system which was audible in our room and a slight background 'hum' as well. However It didn't interfere with our night's sleep. When checking out I mentioned it to Rebekka at reception who enquired as to our stay. She apologised and thanked me for bringing it to her attention, saying she'd ensure the maintenance section got it sorted out. In fact all of the staff were really friendly. We will definitely return here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 4Kate1960
Thank you for reviewing us here on trip advisor, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Rebekka notified our maintenance department about the banging pipes in the hotel. This issue is being looked into and will be dealt with in the near future. Thank you again for you kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My self and my husband stayed 1 night last month as part of a deal. This included a main course in the bar with a glass of wine each.

Our stay was a pleasant one and the meal was very nice - so I felt we got very good value for money. The hotel was clean as was the leisure centre which I thought was very nice with a large pool. I think the hotel is ideal for bringing a young family on a leisure break and we hope to return again as a family. For a romantic week-end away, I probably would prefer somewhere more intimate. We weren't mad about our bedroom - it reminded us of an office with windows all around and the view onto office blocks, -decor little dated also. O/wise enjoyable stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 75NoreenG
Thank you for writing a review on your stay with us here at the Tullamore Court Hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Many thanks for your lovely comments regarding our leisure centre and swimming pool. We are continuously looking for ways to upgrade the décor of our rooms and your comments have been passed on to our accommodation department. We hope to welcome you back to us in the near future. Thank you again.

Dublin
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed in the Tullamore Court Hotel with my hubby for the weekend just gone and had a lovely relaxing stay, would definitely stay at this hotel again and would recommend to anyone.

The staff are very friendly, very helpful, can't do enough for you. We ate at the hotel too as part of our deal and dinner was very nice.

You are only about a 15min stroll down to the centre where the shops, bars, restaurants are and even at a 5 min walk you come across some lovely pubs, one of which is The Brewery Tap - a very cosy welcoming pub suits all ages....our first night there was a group of girls on a 21st Birthday and the 2nd night a 50th! Great music both nights.

Would stay at this hotel again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KHDR
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at the Tullamore Court Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us here and the facilities offered by Tullamore town Centre. The town really is perfect for a break away. We look forward to your next stay with us in the near future.

Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I recently stayed in the Tullamore court hotel as myself and my boyfriend were attending an Andrew Maxwell gig there. I absolutely loved the hotel, as someone who works in the hospitality industry I can be quite fussy and tend to have rather high expectations but i honestly couldn't fault this place. Our room on the second floor was absolutely beautiful and the food in the bar was delicious. Unfortunately as I was only there 1 night and on quite a tight time frame I didn't get to avail of the leisure facilities but i hope to return in the near future and hopefully for longer than 1 night! Well done to all the staff!

Room Tip: Definitely opt for an upgraded room, its well worth it :)
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review of us here in the Tullamore Court Hotel. We were all delighted to read your lovely comments and glad that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay at the hotel. We set very high standards in the hotel and it is gratifying when these standards are met. We look forward to your next stay with us.

West Sussex
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Hotel overall was grand; clean & staff all top-notch with customer service, very attentive. Special mention to Rebekka on reception who was so helpful in getting a razor to me & her lovely way with children, great asset to the hotel!

Beds were extremely comfortable & rooms were really spacious. Only niggle is that I had to find housekeeping to get me a plug for the bath & I would have liked to have seen more mini toiletries on offer such as conditioner & moisturiser.

Food in restaurant really enjoyable; my Caesar salad was great & wide selection of beers in tap.

I was a bit disappointed that we had to buy swimming hats to wear in the pool, it would have made
more sense to me to just be able to be loaned a hat for all of 30-mins seeing as we don't plan wearing one ever again but I also appreciate this is the general rule at all pools across Ireland?

On the whole I would stay again.

Stayed March 2014
Thank you for writing about your time with us here in the Tullamore court Hotel. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Per the lack of selection of toiletries in our rooms, your suggestion has been passed on to our accommodation department. We would hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Catherine Killeen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tullamore
Bridge House Hotel, Spa and Leisure Club
#2 of 4 in Portlaoise
Hodson Bay Hotel
Hodson Bay Hotel
#5 of 9 in Athlone

Been to Tullamore Court Hotel? Share your experiences!