“Not reccommended”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Tullamore
Liverpool
“Not reccommended”
Reviewed 24 November 2006

Okay so the leisure centre and pool are great and the bars are nice.

The staff have appeared to have received NO TRAINING. Checking in was a nightmare, the guy at the check-in desk was really unhelpful. My party (of 5) had dinner in the bar the night we arrived - the waiter got our order completely wrong - probably because he wasn't listening! When the waitress brought our order and we complained about it being wrong, she proceeded to bitterly complain about her job and the people she was forced to work with! Breakfast was really poor, we sat in the breakfast room for 30 minutes before we were offered coffee or food from the menu. The buffet was bland.

It was impossible to sleep in the back room which we were given - the heating droned loudly all night - I regularly stay in hotels and this was definately the loudest one I've stayed in to date!! The walls are really thin so you hear everything from the next room.

The next morning, as I was getting ready to go out, something dropped behind the writing desk. I pulled the desk away from the wall to retrieve the item and was appauled at what I saw - I don't think the place had been properly cleaned for some time and there was an old pair of socks just lying there from a previous tenant.

Although smoking is prohibited in all places of work in Ireland (including hotel rooms), the room reeked of smoke - this includes the pillows, sheets, everything smelled really bad.

If you are arriving by car - you must arrive early - the car park is tiny

In summary, I would not reccommend this hotel - although the hotel entrance looks very grand - I believe it may just be a reminder of the past greatness of the hotel ............. the carpets are threadbare and in need of a change as is the wall paper.....the staff are rude or indifferent.....the rooms are dirty. I think the reason why I was so dissappointed by the hotel is that my partner and I paid 115 euros for our room - I have stayed in rooms in Dublin, Barcelona, London, Madrid, Paris and Rome for this price or cheaper and have never been as dissappointed! This hotel is in a small regional town in Ireland and I believe the prices they charge do not reflect the quality of the hotel

• Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
6 Thank deano11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Warrnambool, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2006

This hotel's brochure describes it as "one of Ireland's great hotels", and do you know, I think that claim is right. My wife, adult daughter and I were guests at the Bridge House Hotel, Tullamore, on 2 July 2006. We had been driving from the west coast to Dublin, and decided to stop at Tullamore for our last night before reaching Dublin. We had no booking, but discovered that this centre-of-town hotel had vacancies, at a bargain Sunday rate of Euro 50 per person, including breakfast. I expected to be shown a humdrum triple room, and was astounded to be given the keys to a de-luxe double bedroom suite. Both bedrooms were spacious, one with a double bed and a single bed, and the other with two single beds. My wife and daughter went off for a swim in the hotel's pristine indoor swimming pool, while I enjoyed a chardonnay in the hotel's Lounge Bar, apparently a winner of the best hotel bar in Ireland. We had dinner in the hotel's Charleville Room Restaurant, which was very popular with Tullamore locals. Our meals were excellent and the waitress service was top class. Similarly our breakfasts, served on the first floor, were delicious. For a small Irish town to have a hotel of this excellence is amazing. All services and staff were exemplary.

The hotel has not supplied a photograph to accompany its entry in Trip Advisor. I strongly encourage it to do so. A winning photo would be the ornate staircase in the foyer, which would not be out of place in a 5 star hotel in a major capital city.

• Stayed July 2006
8 Thank wasamaid
Reviewed 21 October 2005

I was at a wedding in October and the hotel was excellent. perfect for a wedding. There were 5 weddings on during the weekend! Food excellent, staff brillant, setting perfect. One fault is that there was very little parking, but overall 99.99% out of 100

• Stayed October 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
North West England
Reviewed 30 August 2005

We have just returned from a weekend here after attending a friend's wedding at the hotel. On arrival, the hotel from the outside exuded grandeur but I felt the reception area let the hotel down a bit - the carpets, seating, decor etc were quite shabby and the pseudo marble pillars disappointing. However, on a much more positive note, the hotel room was spotless, spacious and the service and food (breakfast, bar and restarant food) was excellent. The golf simulator in the leisure complex was interesting and the pool and spa area were clean, well maintained and sizeable. (If you are planning on taking a dip, don't forget a swiming cap - entry not permitted otherwise)
In conclusion, I would definitely recommend this hotel. For any golfers out there my partner visited the Esker Hills course - a 10 minute drive away. Although it was certainly a very challenging course, he thoroughly enjoyed it. A very pleasant weekend.

• Stayed August 2005
7 Thank Britraveller
Reviewed 13 July 2005

This hotel is the perfect tonic for a hard day on the road. Magnificent frontal design which suggests that of a 5-star hotel. Easy to find also. We booked into an executive suite which differed from normal rooms in that we had a seating area, a jacuzzi bath and a balcony area.

The downstairs restaurant serves fantastic food, both in taste and portions, but be warned: you will need to book. We were lucky however in that the incredibly jovial host asked us to wait 10 minutes before managing to free up a table. I can heartily recommend either the pate or prawns/smoked salmon combination to start followed by the fillet mignon. Pure bliss. We found all the staff to be very nice and eager to help. Our barman even gave us cocktails for free due to time spent making them. The breakfast

Of course there has to be negatives. It's position, directly opposite a supermarket did seem a little unusual and it can be very strange to walk to your outdoor hydro pool while looking directly at passing shoppers. The "poolside bar" is in fact the lobby bar where you can see the pool from, slightly misleading. Two small negatives are a small price to pay for a truely terrific hotel.

• Stayed July 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 February 2005

This was a fluke. We had no hotel for that night .We went to a pub bed and breakfast . They showed us a room (very small ,clean and simple). The price was 45euros each. We wanted to check out the Bridge Hotel first so said we might be back. The Bridge Hotel was this gorgeous hotel, but we went ahead to check it out. The price for the room was 80 euros a room WITH BREAKFAST! It was elegant, the clerks so nice and the room was wonderful. I don't know if we just lucked out on the price or what, so you may want to check that out, but we couldn't believe our luck. There was a small mall and movie complex across the street. About a block away we lucked into a wonderful restaurant called Ricos. You needed reservations but let us in if we could be done in an hour. The prices were very good,and the food excellent. All in all our side trip to Tullamore was a wonderful surprise.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tullamore
Tullamore Court Hotel
Hodson Bay Hotel
#5 of 9 in Athlone
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,986 reviews
County Arms Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Bridge House Hotel, Spa and Leisure Club? Share your experiences!