“If you see this B&B, RUN!!!!”
Review of Brookville House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Brookville House
Ranked #6 of 13 Tullamore B&B and Inns
Ireland
“If you see this B&B, RUN!!!!”
Reviewed 4 January 2008

Brookville House, Rahan Road, Tullamore
B&B phone: (057) 932 1385
Manager name: Jean Pierre (the B&B we stayed in at the end gave us this name).
Website: [--]

On Monday, December 31st at 14.30 we arrived at the Brookville House B&B, located
on Rahan Road, Tullamore.

When we entered the facilities there was no one at reception.
I told my husband to remain at the door while I looked for someone. We heard noises coming from across the dining section, so I headed that way.
There is a room at the end of this section where the noises were coming from, so I poked my head in and said "Hi" to a French sounding gentleman who was tidying up the room.
The gentleman reacted in a unorthodox manner taking his glassess off, rubbing his face in an agressive manner and finally throwing something on the floor in a violent way not far from where I was standing. He went past me and my husband (who was now in the middle of the dining area), completelly ignoring us. At this point we were considering not staying there, even though it would be hard to find another place to stay in as we were in Tullamore for the night.

My husband again said "Hi" to the gentleman (just to reconfirm I was right before jumping to any conclusions). This time we got a rude reply: "So are you staying or what?". My husband in a polite manner said there was no need to be so rude. This is when the gentleman lost it. He started yelling at us saying he was not being rude.
So we told him nicelly we were not staying there after being treated that way, and that made the gentleman even more furious. He started saying "Good, leave, you cannot stay here!".
One reply we got from him was what made me write this letter.
He started saying a lot of things to us, but what struck us most was that he called us "Stupid Irish [--]". My husband is cool headed, but a few Irish people with a hot head would have turned around and thumped him for such a reply.

I am a foreign national myself, from Argentina. If you are staying in a country that is not your own, you should treat the locals with more respect, not insult them, especially when they are your customer.

This B&B is not approved by Failte Ireland. This man should not be running a service that involves dealing with people. Even on the phone he was rude when we were trying to get directions.

Irish people have been more than good to me and all the foreign
nationals I know however if Irish Tourism prides itself on the slogan of the "Land of the Welcomes" we didn't get it in Tullamore.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The Manager Jean Pierre
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Polski1605

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Donegal, Ireland
Reviewed 4 October 2007

Stayed 3 nights at Brookville House. The owners of this guesthouse seem to employ staff to deal with guests as we didn't once meet the owners during our weekend. (So much for the warm Irish welcome)!

Positives

1 Rooms were clean

2 Bed was comfortable

3 Rate was reasonable (35 Euro pp per night)

4 Plenty to eat at breakfast and it was tasty

5 Vegetarians were catered for without fuss

6 Convenient to town (5 minute walk away)

7 Power shower was good with plenty of hot water

8 Tea making facilities provided

Negatives

1 Rooms were tiny

2 Bathroom was miniscule

3 Bedrooms were basic and needed refurbished

4 The portable television only had 4 stations which were in black and white

5 Never met the owners, felt more like a hotel (it did have 19 bedrooms)

6 The curtains were not lined so the sun shone through the window in the morning

7 Not enough bed clothes available, felt cold in middle of the night and there were no extra blankets in the cupboard

• Liked — Convenience to town and breakfast.
  • Disliked — Basic bedrooms
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business