Iona B & B
Philmar House(Ballincar)
SURF & STAY(Strandhill)
  • Beachfront
  • Beachfront
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This is truly a gorgeous home with absolutely lovely host. Rose greeted us with a warm smile and even hot tea and biscuits. She is a true delight. The home and rooms are perfect! The b&b has the most perfect landscape I've ever seen at a b&b. It sits on a main road so only minutes to Sligo town center as well just a few minutes drive to beach. It's the perfect location. My children were in love with the place. I can honestly say we did not want to leave. One day is not enough at this amazing b&b!! Thank you so much!! - From Carlos in Florida

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank VZeng
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Iona B & B is a modern two storey house on the Sligo to Strandhill Road, less than two miles from Sligo. It is immaculately clean and tastefully furnished throughout. My report mainly reiterates what others have said.
We were greeted like long lost friends by Rose who, after showing us to our room, offered us a cup of tea in the sitting room where she joined us to tell us about the area and to recommend places to eat during our two night stay.
Our room and en-suite bathroom were both spacious and easily better than those of many hotels we've stayed in. The bed was firm but comfortable, the way we like it.

The breakfasts were something else! The choice and quality have been commented upon by others. All I will add is that before coming to stay in Iona B & B we had stayed a couple of nights in a 4 Star Hotel, and Rose's beat theirs hands down. (And we didn't need lunch!)
We had our evening meals at two of the restaurants Rose recommended - The Montmartre and the Bistro Bianconi - and they were both excellent.
Overall, a wholly enjoyable stay. Thank you Rose!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joey_JonesNIreland
Reviewed 12 July 2013

On our arrival at Iona we were warmly greeted by Rose with a cup of tea, coffee and biscuits. We sat in the parlour and chatted for a while. Our room was warm and inviting (cold, wet and miserable outside). Rose gave us tips on what to see, where to eat, where to get our laundry done at a very reasonable rate (we have discovered that there is no self laundromats in Ireland), and where to shop. The Irish breakfast Rose cooked was delicious and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bbgirl58
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Stayed at Iona with our 7 year old in October, and simply can't recommend this establishment highly enough. Had a good-sized double room with a large bathroom, both of which were spotless. Lovely warm shower. There was a good selection of options on the breakfast menu, and Rose had no problem in accommodating us with a late breakfast on both mornings! The breakfast was superb.

We have stayed in Sligo numerous times (mainly hotels) and have to say that Iona is the best place we have ever stayed. Thank you Rose!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank SWskellig
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Rose was simply amazing. Immediately offered us tea and biscuits upon arrival and sat and chatted with us for a bit. She had great recommendations for dinner and local sights.

The room was great. We had a single + double and the beds were very comfortable and the room was spacious for the two of us. Shower was very hot (the way I like it) and had adequate pressure. Bathroom amenities included a small bar of soap and body wash.

Breakfast was delicious. She took our order the night before. I had the full Irish and all I can say is "yum!" I wish I had Rose to cook breakfast for me every day! I'd be really fat, but it would taste so good. She really went out of her way to accommodate my husband's diet (he is diabetic).

Her B&B is only a 10 minute drive from Strandhill (great food and fun to watch the surfers), 10 minutes from Sligo center, and maybe 5 minutes from Carrowmore (highly recommend).

I wish we were staying for longer!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple