“disappointed”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
cork
“disappointed”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

stayes here recently and found the staff excellent the food was poor and the beds uncomfortable.

1 Thank hamlet11
Bernadette_Coffey, Director of Sales at Sligo Park Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club for your recent Sligo accommodation. Thank you for your compliments about staff being excellent, I am glad you were pleased with that aspect of your stay. I am very disappointed that you weren’t pleased with the food. All food areas in the hotel : Banqueting, Hazelwood Restaurant and Rathanna Bar have new innovative menus which are receiving much positive comment, therefore I am particularly concerned about your remark about food and I am very sorry this was your experience. If you would like to have an opportunity to speak with me in person about this and your bed also, then I would be very pleased to hear from you at any time which may be convenient for you.

Please let me know if ever I can be of any assistance to you in any way,

On behalf of Management and Staff of Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Castlebar, Ireland
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Stayed here with family of four. The family room was very big, one large double and two standard single beds. Room and en suite were spotless, really good breakfast, lots to choose from and all fresh. Staff were very nice and helpful, will definitely stay here again when we are in Sligo.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Bernadette_Coffey, Director of Sales at Sligo Park Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your glowing report on Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club with other Trip Advisor members. We look forward to welcoming you and your family to back to Sligo Park in the future,

On Behalf of Management and Staff of Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Comfortable no frills hotel. Staff are very friendly. Nice bar for relaxing in the evening with really good singer on Saturday evening. Leisure complex was well maintained, although rules should be enforced, eg staff did not intervene when under 16's took over the jacuzzi and hopped in an out of steam room and sauna. Booked massage on last day, but masseuse failed to turn up which was disappointing end to our stay. Sligo town is rather depressing but the surrounding countryside was well worth the trip!

Room Tip: Problem with damp close to our room which was at far end of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Bernadette_Coffey, Director of Sales at Sligo Park Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club for your recent break. It is good to note that you found the bar nice for relaxing with really good singer on Saturday evening. Health and Leisure Club rules state that patrons of 14 years and under must be accompanied by an adult, I am very sorry that your enjoyment was disturbed by young people in the jacuzzi and steam room and also for your disappointment about your masseuse. Please contact me if you would like to discuss this in person. It is interesting to note that you preferred surrounding countryside to Sligo town. Many visitors enjoy the Hawkswell Theatre, the Model, the many atmospheric and landmark pubs, the craft shops and coffee shops by the Garavogue River, however it must be said the surrounding countryside is spectacluar - Yeats rightly referred to it as Land of Hearts Desire. We are glad you consider it well worth a trip.

On behalf of Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club
Uttoxeter
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed at the sligopark and found everything superb Geraldine and Mairead on the desk where very friendly and extreamly helpfull,they couldnt have done more.A pleasure to deal with and they put us in a room at the back overlooking the mountains.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back overlooking the mountains are very nice
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Cris L
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your very positive experience of Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club with other Trip Advisor members. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future,

On behalf of Management and Staff of Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed here with my partner in April 2012 on a combined business/pleasure stay. I stayed here as I could not get a good enough price in the Glasshouse in the city centre. The hotel is a bit outside of the city so if you are on foot it is not a great option. It is clearly an older hotel than the Glasshouse, however, some four star elements are lacking, which I do not understand why this is, (it is a small issue but no biscuits in room, usual to have biscuits in four star). The receptionist, (foreign lady), was nice and friendly as was the barman (Michael?). Hotel bar closed up at the usual pub time of 11:30PM on the first night we were there, maybe they would have served later if we had asked but the barman pulled down the shutters so don’t know what the story was there as Guest Info. Book said residents can be served until 3:30AM! On the second evening we wanted something quick to eat, in the Guest Info. Book it refers to bar snacks available to 8:45PM, I think this is a strange use of terminology to use as it is a full bar food menu, I almost thought it would just be light snacks and was going to go into town to eat. Also I find the 8:45PM as opposed to 9PM a bit awkward. The hotel is good overall, however, if given the choice and if the price was right I would much rather the Glasshouse as it is more central and in my opinion has better facilities/services. We ordered a taxi from reception and I always find that when you book a taxi from a hotel it is always a bit dearer than from a rank! It cost ten euro into town but the taxi we got from a rank back out was seven euro! I think ten euro was a bit steep considering the distance out, 9about a mile and a bit)! I told the housekeeper, (a very nice foreign girl), that I did not need the room serviced, (I had a migraine and did not want to be disturbed). I got some fresh towels, soap and teabags off her instead. What did annoy me was that at around 3:30 PM what must have been the other girls supervisor, (this was an Irish lady), despite the fact I had a do not disturb sign on the door, knocked and quickly proceeded to come in, when I ran over to the door she said, “Sorry, but she wasn’t sure if I wanted the room serviced or not”. She was friendly and all but I think that after saying I didn’t want the room serviced and having the do not disturb sign on the door that I shouldn’t have been disturbed and that if they really did have to check they should have rang. I found the staff in general friendly. The night we ate in the bar it was busy and the staff were rushing around, however, one waiter, (dark hair glasses, maybe Spanish), although he never said anything to us, he seemed fairly unfriendly, my partner finished eating before me and he came over and took his plate, (normal practice to wait until both people are finished), he said nothing just took it and them when I was finished he put his hand across me and took my plate without saying a word! Bit of friendliness wouldn’t go a miss even if the place is busy! The breakfast was good, (normal hot/cold selection).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank absolutetruth
Bernadette_Coffey, Director of Sales at Sligo Park Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your detailed review following your recent stay at Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club. Your review has highlighted some areas, which need attention on the hotels part and I thank you for raising them. It is good to note also that you had a number of very positive points to mention and you describe the hotel as being 'good overall'. Please note a suburban bus service operates from hotel entrance at frequent intervals throughout the day. I hope that overall you enjoyed your stay at Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club and that you would choose to return in the future.
On behalf of management and staff of Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We stayed here after traveling through Northern Ireland and Donegal on our way to Ennis. The hotel was clean but felt tired. Carpets in hallways were worn and need replacing; however our room was nice, clean and bright. The hotel has free wifi and plenty of free parking. It's not right in Sligo town (about a 15-20 minuted downhill walk to the city centre). The people working in reception were very friendly and helpful. We ate at the bar for dinner and I found the food a bit bland but reasonably priced with very friendly service. I would recommend this hotel to people traveling through Sligo, but the hotel could use some updating.

1 Thank WhitRPh
Bernadette_Coffey, Director of Sales at Sligo Park Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Dear Guest,

thank you for your very positive reveiw of Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club, its cleanliness, brightness, free WIFI and free parking. Being slighly outside of the town centre, Sligo Park has the advantage of lush garden surroundings adding to the feeling of relaxation - this is also helped by the friendly staff which you and so many reviewers refer to.

Thank you for your reccommendation of Sligo Park to other travellers, we look forward to having you back in the future,

on Behalf of Management and Staff of Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Stayed here for one night in a standard double room. We had booked accommodation only so i can't comment on the breakfast but overall it was a nice place to stay.
The staff are friendly & warm (something we experienced with everyone we spoke to during our time in Sligo actually), there's plenty of parking, and the room was comfortable.
A lot could be done to update this hotel, the corridors of the bedrooms for example could be spruced up as they do seem a bit shabby at the moment. However the room itself was clean and well furnished with all the facilities you would need including a very comfy bed, a great shower and free WiFi.
Location wise it's not in the centre of town (as I would have liked to be) and it's closer to the N4 really, but it is about a 20 minute walk to get into Sligo town from the hotel, which doesn't feel too far when you are walking in as it's all downhill!
Over all I'd say it's a good base to use if you are exploring Sligo and the other gorgeous areas around that part of Ireland.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We were so glad to read your review saying overall Sligo Park was a nice place to stay. It is good that you found staff warm and friendly and people in Sligo generally to be warm and friendly.

It is also good to note that that your room was clean, well furnished with all the facilities you could need including comfy bed, a great shower and free WIFI. Access is convenient from the N4. There is the option of a pleasant 20 minute walk into town or guests can avail of a suburban bus service which operates from the hotel entrance at frequent intervals throughout the day.

We are really glad that you discovered how lovely it is in this part of Ireland, which you refer to as 'gorgeous'. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sligo Park in the future,

on Behalf of Management and Staff of Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club