“Outdated hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
Ireland
“Outdated hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

Booked in here for the St. Patrick's holiday weekend.

The room had been described as contemporary but when I got the 'key' at reception I started to wonder what the room was going to be like. It was an actual key and not a swipe card. I thought this to be very old fashioned.

The room itself was big and spacious but it was very much outdated. A huge brick of a TV in the corner with very few channels on it. The windows were old and draughty. One of the windows would not close properly. There was mould on the windowsill.

There was no a/c only a radiator.

There was no fridge in the room or a safe.

The room was not that clean. There were huge cobwebs hanging on the wall.

The bathroom was just ok. They must have the same towels for years now, they are small and nearly transparent.

The food was nice in the hotel but the service in the bar was very slow. The second night had dinner in the restaurant and it was lovely. The service was much better in the restaurant.

I booked this hotel through a Heatons getaway weekend. As I was walking down to reception to checkout, housekeeping were cleaning the rooms. I could see that other rooms were lovely with wall hung flat screen TV's and lovely floor to ceiling windows (which were probably completely sealed with no mould) Nice modern tiled bathrooms.

Why didn't I get this?

I could not reccemment this hotel to my friends and unless a lot more was done to the hotel, I don't think I will return.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank hgst
Bernadette_Coffey, Director of Sales at Sligo Park Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club for your recent visit to Sligo. We are glad to read you enjoyed your meals during your stay. Your review raises a number of points which cause concern and each one is being addressed. I am sorry if you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay. If you would like to have an opportunity to speak with me in person about these matters, then I would be very pleased to hear from you at any time which may be convenient for you. Please let me know if ever I can be of any assistance to you in any way.
Bernadette Coffey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Derry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

Let me start by giving you the positives...firstly I would like to commend the staff at this hotel, very hard working and greeted us with a smile every morning, also we arrived much earlier than our book-in time and they were able to let us check-in and moved us to a bottom floor room when they saw us with a baby and a pram...very thoughtful.
The rooms were very nice, basic but clean and the hard working house staff made sure we got our room cleaned and fixed up everyday.
The only negative I have was the breakfast...it was just ok, the staff I found were a bit rude in taking the plate from u just seconds from leaving my fork down and with my child still eating lifted my husbands and my plate, surely in any restaurant or hotel you wait til everyone at the table is finished before lifting plates and clearing the table!
I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and look forward to maybe staying here again, I would certainly recommend this to family and friends.

Room Tip: Family room was great, bring a swimming cap if you'd like to use the pool
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club for your accommodation on your recent trip to Sligo. We are delighted that you had such a positive experience of staff and hotel. We have noted all your comments. Thank you for your recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

Very disappointed. We've book this hotel, following great reviews, for the last night of our trip around the west of Ireland.

Hotel is very outdated, our room didn't have electronic key - we've received a normal key with a gigantic keychain with room number which we had to leave at the reception every time we wanted to leave the hotel. No air-con. We needed to contact reception to adjust heating in the room. Despite our room being on the 2nd floor, it was in fact just a meter or so above the ground which always makes me very uncomfortable.

There was a good walk from reception to our room, including two flights of stairs.

The hotel was FULL of kids with kids movies leaflets everywhere, and kids running all over the hotel, yelling in the corridors. Not a place I'd like to sit down for a drink... Breakfast wasn't much different, we got up early to avoid crowds at breakfast, but didn't wait long for families to come down with kids making a lot of noise and mess.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club. Just to mention the week you stayed was Easter holiday break for schools and as a result we had a lot of families staying. We are very concerned to read your review and we are very sorry that you were disappointed. We are taking these matters seriously and each one is being addressed. If you would like to have an opportunity to speak with me in person about these matters, then I would be very pleased to hear from you at any time which may be convenient for you. Please let me know if ever I can be of any assistance to you in any way.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

This is a well laid out hotel on the outskirts of Sligo City and about 45 minutes drive from Knock International Airport and about 6 miles from Yeats' grave. The rooms are quite spacious and well-appointed with ironing boards and free wi-fi, although rather uninspiring in their decor, and the restaurant is good quality. The staff are amazingly friendly and very helpful. My only reservation is that the central heating system makes a lot of noise and is not very efficient in the rooms. The hotel was extremely busy on each of my 4 nights there and the bar and reception area was very noisy in the evenings, but the sight of so many complete families relaxing in that area was a testament to its friendly hospitality.

Room Tip: Aim to get a room on the 3rd floor so you can see the mountains and try to get a high numbered room...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club for your accommodation on your recent trip to Sligo. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your positive feedback on staff and hotel. We have noted all your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

First impressions were that the hotel didn't look too good from the outside. More to do with shape than anything else. Inside, however, it is lovely. Greeted with a huge smile and check in was quick and pleasant. Stayed on 3rd floor. Lift always quick. Lovely room with a huge window and view over the garden. Bar staff also very pleasant and overall a lovely hotel with nice staff. Swimming pool was great and an hour set aside with inflatables in the evening for kids.Lots of families there and definitely family friendly. Lovely seating area in foyer. Very comfortable and 2 great nights sleep. Going to tour west of Ireland later this year and will stay here for the first night. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Room Tip: Stayed in 324.A bit of a walk from the lift but not bad. Quite large for a hotel room and view over...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club for your accommodation on your recent trip to Sligo. We are glad to note your comments on the staff, hotel and Leisure Club. Thank you for your recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back soon again.
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

Reasonable hotel, good value and close to city. Stayed here for one night in March. Room was on the 3rd floor which offered a nice view of Mountains and city. Beds could be a better , not very comfortable, shower was poor no water pressure .Reception and Bar area were busy and offered plenty of room for families to relax in the evening time . Would stay here again for value and location with a hope of a better bed.

Room Tip: Top floor had wooden floors, so i am not sure what noise was like on floors below.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bernadette_Coffey, Director of Sales at Sligo Park Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club for your accommodation. We are glad to read of your satisfaction with hotel. We are very sorry if you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay, all your comments have been noted and each will be addressed. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

We (family of four) have just returned from the Sligo park hotel and had a nice time, but not really because of this hotel.
It is classed as a 4 star hotel, but 3 star would be more appropriate.
The decor of the hotel is rather dated, early 90 ish. The staff serving the meals in the bar were regularly checking with the tables around us to see if everything was ok, somehow we were overlooked every time. We even had to ask where our food was after 3 tables being served before us, but having ordered after us (up to 20 minutes).
The room had no mini bar, no air conditioning (even a cheap premier inn at GBP19,- a night has this!), no safe, not even something simple as a toilet brush to remove the sometimes inevitable 'marks'. The central heating was on full, but could not cope with the outside temperature of about 6 degrees in daytime. We all watched TV in bed instead of lying on the bed.The cleanliness of the rooms was very good though.
The great attraction of this hotel is the pool, fitness room, steam room, sauna and whirlpool (the last three no kids are allowed, also not with their parents), there also a tennis court.
The breakfast was fine, not good ,not bad (scrambled eggs can be improved though).
The location of the hotel is very good to explore Sligo and it's surroundings.
For the amount of money we paid there definitely is a better hotel out there.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club. We are very concerned to read your review and we are very sorry that you were disappointed. We are taking these matters very seriously and each one is being addressed. If you would like to have an opportunity to speak with me in person about these matters, then I would be very pleased to hear from you at any time which may be convenient for you. Please let me know if ever I can be of any assistance to you in any way.