“Disappointing”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
Cavan, Ireland
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were staying here for one night celebrating a v special occasion. I had asked when booking that I would really appreciate a spacious modern room and one that was of the same quality as the rooms advertised on there website. However on arrival I was dreadfully disappointed with our dated room. We were handed a chunky key to which we looked at each other in dismay.. The room itself I must admit was spacious, it was lovely and warm thankfully but it lacked the feeling of warmth.
It had a wooden floor which straight away annoyed me. It had a dated look. It had a lot of wall space as it was a spacious room but it had no pictures or art work on the wall which I feel could of added a little warmth to the room.
The bathroom door and the white tiles seriously needs updating but the bathroom itself was spotless. The power of the shower was fantastic, however the red flower arrangement in the corner was nice and added colour it was extremely dusty and obvious it hasn't been cleaned. We had a lovely view of the tennis courts and mountain. My husband brought his earphones to the gym to plug them into the treadmill but they were old style and didn't have that facility. Also in the steam room which you expect to find wooden benches or a tiled seating area they had the plastic garden furniture.. Not what I was expecting.
On check out mairead was lovely and chatty, friendly and efficient.
Would I stay here again, my answer would be no. I felt the room was dated and when I'm away for a night - which is seldom I like luxury. Their website mislead me on their room style and quality

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank sparkle2008
Bernadette_Coffey, Director of Sales at Sligo Park Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club for your accommodation. On reading the detail of your review I am particularly sorry as I see you were allocated a specially decorated room. We have two bedrooms with wooden floors and individual décor which would have been allocated because it was a very special occasion. I am sorry that the décor didn’t appeal. If you would like to have an opportunity to speak with me in person about these matters, then I would be very pleased to hear from you at any time which may be convenient for you. Please let me know if ever I can be of any assistance to you in anyway.
Bernadette Coffey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I was surprised at this hotel, I've driven past many times but never been in before now. I stayed there with a tour group and I must say that it is fabulous. The reception area with its comfortable settees and chairs and open fire is very welcoming, especially on a bleak February day. The rooms are large and very well equipped. Food is fantastic. The breakfast offers just about everything you could possibly want and the traditional 'fry' is in fact grilled which makes one feel far less guilty for indulging! Good gym and pool attached. Staff are very attentive and professional. Free wifi throughout the hotel. It feels like a five star hotel. Highly recommended if you are in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Bernadette_Coffey, Director of Sales at Sligo Park Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Guest,

We are really glad to read of your satisfaction with your stay at Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club. We are delighted that you had such a positive experience of the hotel and food. Thank you for your recommendation and for sharing this with other Trip Advisor members. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
n ireland
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My Wife and I just returned from short dinner bed and breakfast break. First time we stayed in this hotel. Excellent service, room well appointed, very clean, delicious varied dinner and good service. Friendly attentive staff. We like the area and look forward to returning again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ulster9
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club for your recent visit to Sligo. We are delighted to read of your satisfaction with service, food and staff. Thank you for your positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back soon again.
derry city
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

We arrived late evening after a long journey which was hampered by a heavy snowfall. However the friendly welcome added to a very attentive staff helped make the journey worthwhile. We were in a family room, the room was very adequate in size, clean, very tidy and comfortable. We ate in the bar on the Friday and the food was to a very high standard. We were pleased with the quality of the food, the accomodation and the attention we received from the staff. The hotel is on the edge of town and you really need either to drive into town or get a taxi in at night. The hotel arranged this for us and the price was reasonable. The clunky key for the room and the bulky tv were both rather old fashioned, however this would not stop us from going back again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank derrycityleedsman
Bernadette_Coffey, Director of Sales at Sligo Park Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club for your recent visit to Sligo. We are delighted that you had such a positive experience of the hotel, food and staff. Just to advise we are currently replacing all bedroom TV’s to flat screens and this is scheduled for completion shortly. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I stayed in the hotel for 2 nights with my Boyfriend last weekend, we had got a great deal on pigsback.ie so I'd recommend you keep your eyes peeled!
The staff where very friendly and helpful, the power was cut from our room and they where fast to fix it for us. The lady who checked us in spoke really fast, I understood her but I could imagine that someone who is not from Ireland would find it a little difficult to understand! The staff in the bar where extremely friendly and my Boyfriend kept on taking about how great one man in particular was but I do not know his name.

The room was my biggest let down, it seemed as though half the hotel was refurbished to a high standard and the other half was not, we were staying right at the end of the hotel which was few minutes walk through the hotel to our room. The room was fine but after seeing pictures on the website and on trip adviser I was expecting a flat screen tv for one. The room got very cold at night and at one point I was shivering. It just seemed very dated and quite frankly I wasn't impressed. The bathroom had been done and was lovely, the shower was nice. We could hear people outside our room(going into their rooms) extremely clearly and when we where on our way to check out a woman stopped us and asked if we were in 156 when we replied yes she said that she had heard us in there so didn't go in to clean. We aren't very loud people so I don't like the idea of the room not being sound proof at all.

The breakfast was nice, standard but it filled us up nicely, the bar food was again nice but a little over priced for what it was. The atmosphere was great both nights in the bar and reception, there's a great big fire that was nice to sit in front of with a glass of wine.

I don't think I'll return just to stay in the hotel, however I will recommend the hotel to anyone going to sligo

Room Tip: maybe ask for a newer room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alice B
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Sligo Park Hotel. We are really glad to read of your satisfaction with staff and thank you for your recommendation. Just to advise we are currently replacing all bedroom TV’s to flat screens and this is scheduled for completion shortly. Your review raises a number of points which cause concern. If you would like to have an opportunity to speak with me in person about these matters, then I would be very pleased to hear from you at any time which may be convenient for you. Please let me know if ever I can be of any assistance to you in any way.
Offaly
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I've stayed at the Sligo Park Hotel before , 4 years ago. I admit to being a liittle harsh. I stayed again on saturday night and my stay was exceptional.
However, two things haven't changed, and that's the service and the leisure centre which both remain top class. I loved the open fire. Like the service, it was welcoming and homely. My room was immaculate, the food including breakfast was wonderful.
They say 'opinions do change'. Mine certainly has.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ASle_12
Dear Guest,

We are really glad to read of your satisfaction with your stay at Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club. We are delighted that you had such a positive experience of the hotel and staff. Thank you for sharing this with us and other Trip Advisor members. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Had lunch there last week always consistent and tasty .Chef that serves it from the counter always pleasant and looks after you .Nice spot for lunch when your rushing and portions very good . Plenty of parking and very convenient . Nice and busy so always a good sign .will return again very soon .staff nice and friendly too.Boiled bacon was lovely and tasty with a good choice on offer .dessert was lovely too .

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Bernadette_Coffey, Director of Sales at Sligo Park Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Guest,

We are really glad to read of your satisfaction with your stay at Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club. We are delighted that you had such a positive experience of the hotel, food and staff. Thank you for sharing this with us and other Trip Advisor members. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.